e90 vs Audi b8

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
ebby37;444346 said:
i test drove the B8 A4 before buying my BMW. The Audi is very powerful and the interior is excellent, definitely better than the 320. It is also more powerful than the 320 but the handling of the BMW is just unmatched. The Audi does not come close in handling. More powerful than the 325 ??? ....dream on

agreed on Audi handling is not even match with BMW ..,as it is not all-wheel-drive like BMW ...damned

i'm sure if Audi only produce 4WD car with quattro engine ...i'm sure , ppl will open their eyes on what Audi able to deliver

If build quality is on top of your list, then Audi is your choice. Those 3-layer door seals is overkill and the fine door gaps are millimeter perfect! :top: I just hate the low boot line. Those headlight LED is a nuisance.

If luxury in on top of your list, then Merc is your choice. Everything is build with luxury prioritize, even the door guards and bumper guards are chrome! I won't spend my money on those chrome because it doesn't make the car anymore powerful and improve handling.. :p Those grilles are purposely made huge so they can hang a gigantic emblem there and chrome the entire grille for the bling-bling effect. Remind me of Mr.T.. :p

If you just want pick up, pick up and pick up, then VW GTI is your choice. The seats are uncomfortable, the power delivery is so uncivilized, those rear muffler is a total noise pollution and the harsh bumpy ride is really insane for a day-to-day car.

BMW E90.. Those horn button is out of place and I never get to use the horn. Never fail to mistakenly press the radio mode button, every time! The window button on the front door is located to far, out of reach. Engine oil no dipstick, dashboard no temperature gauge, those RFT are damn expensive.... and I don't care.. :p

astroboy;444461 said:
If build quality is on top of your list, then Audi is your choice. Those 3-layer door seals is overkill and the fine door gaps are millimeter perfect! :top: I just hate the low boot line. Those headlight LED is a nuisance.

If luxury in on top of your list, then Merc is your choice. Everything is build with luxury prioritize, even the door guards and bumper guards are chrome! I won't spend my money on those chrome because it doesn't make the car anymore powerful and improve handling.. :p Those grilles are purposely made huge so they can hang a gigantic emblem there and chrome the entire grille for the bling-bling effect. Remind me of Mr.T.. :p

If you just want pick up, pick up and pick up, then VW GTI is your choice. The seats are uncomfortable, the power delivery is so uncivilized, those rear muffler is a total noise pollution and the harsh bumpy ride is really insane for a day-to-day car.

BMW E90.. Those horn button is out of place and I never get to use the horn. Never fail to mistakenly press the radio mode button, every time! The window button on the front door is located to far, out of reach. Engine oil no dipstick, dashboard no temperature gauge, those RFT are damn expensive.... and I don't care.. :p

Agree with you on the Horn. By the time I want to press, the need is not there anymore.
Was told now the 2nd value of Audi has picked up. Is it true ?

On the horn, either its meant for those with longer finger/thumb or are we suppose to lift one hand up from the steering and whack the center of the steering? :eek: But most of the time my both hands are busy steering to avoid traffic.. stupid design.. *&^%$#@!!

So every emergency when I'm suppose to press the horn button, I end up switching from radio to CD.. :(

I'd go for the e90 for the handling alone..tho the 4cyl engine kinda sucks,they should bring back the 2.2 six..that was indeed a sweet engine.

hi guys,
I'm the secretary of Club Audi Malaysia. Let me first say, before i'm shot, that i appreciate all good cars, as opposed to "wah, that brand damn keng... must buy".

The Audi a4 of the B5 and B6, fall short of the 3-series podium finish. These audis have to install aftermarket parts to accomodate for this. The B7 was better but compared to an e46, both standard, the e46 is better. Now we come to the latest models : Audi A4 B8 1.8T and BMW 325 e90.

Interior, i am a minimalist, but i the beemer takes it too far. A +1
Exterior, i think we all know the flame thing went real wrong. At least the e92 was a good comeback. The LED lights aren't a phase, but a mainstay for things to come. Most like it, A +2
Engine, power for capacity has always been beemer's forte. However, Audi cheats with a turbo. On top of that it's just too easy to have an ECU flash and up it another 30hp. Unfortunately for the e90, similar gains are much more expensive. A +3
Economy, turbo is usually bad for economy, but consider two facts : planes of old used turbos to get more power from the same capacity. And they made it economical with multi stage turbos, without having to rev-up to reach the desired performance. Same here, the audi's turbo kicks in at less than 1900 rpm, and cost less road tax. A +4
Passenger, for the passengers, the audi is more spacious. A +5
Driver, the 3 is a cockpit. B +1
Boot space, please see the nearest Audi showroom asap. It's huge. A +6
Aftermarket fun, nuff said. B +3 (added an extra point, cos the B has sooo many options)
Exclusivity A +7, but Recognition? ahhh.. in malaysia, B +4
Handling, if you have test driven one (without the salesman, i have :cool: ), you'll know that it's amazing for a FWD. I drive hard, and one thing that pops into my mind is, how many drivers really know how to push a RWD to the "i'm the king of the road" limit ? I find most FWD drivers, will max the turning capability, usually unintentionally, and take corners real fast. The best common-folk RWD drivers are the ones with cheaper models. Test the theory when you next take your beemer behind a Ferrari in a corner. 9/10 times, you'll be on the ferrari's ass. People fear the swing factor of the RWD. So i'll leave this point for the end.
Resale value, Audi loses here, mostly due to the principal's fault of lack of advertising. Most 2nd hand buyers have probably never heard of Audis before. Kereta apa tu? ahh, kereta olimpik. B +5
Cost of Ownership, since the B7 came out, audi's are cheaper to maintain and the turbos are non-invasive on your pocket. The electronics too are more reliable. A +8
Servicing & Repair, audi owners struggle to find a decent workshop, or they're stuck with the 3 (and only 3) official centres in Malaysia. All in peninsula. B +6
Pussy Magnet, ladies usually look at the audis (exclusivity and they've been to Europe usually are the reasons). Chicks prefer beemers. The rich guys drive beemers. The uncles drive mercedes. Audi owners are what ah ? This has yet to be defined. There are more chicks than ladies, so i'll leave this one to you.

So what's the score ?
Audi B8 +8
BMW e90 +6

If you like chicks, and you really push your RWD setup hard, then the e90 is on par with the new B8.
However, if you prefer ladies (completely generalising here) and like the forgiving nature of a FWD, the the Audi scores 10 points.

I like the M3 e46, especially the CSL, but for the first time in history, audi's new sedan platform has got the right stuff.

Hi LHT,
Interesting point of view,some might agree n some might not..pretty close in my view tho if u're comparing the b8 1.8t with the 325i,u've got the engine part all wrong..it's not just about power alone,but i guess u know that.

I'm actually a big fan of the b8 tho..do u know if the b8 2.0 will be offered with a DSG style tranny or a CVT? Cuz seriously,a b8 2.0t with DSG(can't remember the name in Audi speak) and Quattro will be totally awesome.

The Audi S Tronic should be standard in the coming 2.0T quattro. The quattro drives and has the ability to drive much more power to the wheels, and just like the previous model have better gearboxes. Yes dude, quattro is the way to go. Hence a few audi owners have sold their less than a year old 1.8T B8 and await the arrival of the 2.0T version.

World statistics show that 3 out of 5 Audis in the world are quattro. Malaysia is a special case. 1 out of 5 are quattro. AWD is the way to go with increasing driving speeds. If you're a first time buyer of this marque, go quattro...always.

LHT;450318 said:
The Audi S Tronic should be standard in the coming 2.0T quattro. The quattro drives and has the ability to drive much more power to the wheels, and just like the previous model have better gearboxes. Yes dude, quattro is the way to go. Hence a few audi owners have sold their less than a year old 1.8T B8 and await the arrival of the 2.0T version.

World statistics show that 3 out of 5 Audis in the world are quattro. Malaysia is a special case. 1 out of 5 are quattro. AWD is the way to go with increasing driving speeds. If you're a first time buyer of this marque, go quattro...always.

Any advise when the quattro coming here?

If indeed the 2.0t comes with the S-tronic,expect a supercharged e60 525i to go on sale fairly soon.Watch the 'car for sale' thread heheh!!
If the price is right,I'll definitely do it..

The price of the 2.0T quattro is expected at less than RM 300k. More than that, and the main distributor here, Euromobil, will have competition from the grey importers. ETA Malaysia ? End 2009 Beginning 2010.

The beautiful thing about the quattro version is that the GB can take a lot more power than the FWD. That means you can opt to go to stage 2 or 3, where it's not just a ecu flash upgrade, but a turbocharger unit replacement and better intercoolers. At stage 2, the new 2.0T B8 should touch close to 330 hp and more than 430 Nm.

I doubt the Quattro version will be less than rm300k..the FWD version,maybe.The Q5 does not come with nav due to cost considerations,will the A4 2.0t suffer the same fate?

Stage 2 will bring the output pretty close to S4 numbers,which is great but only if coupled with the S-tronicI hope it does..hate those CVTs.

thankfully, so far the Euromobil's track record shows only an additional RM 15,000 to 25,000 for quattro. The B7 models for FWD a couple of years ago were going at ~260k. The quattro was around ~280k. Keep your fingers crossed.

for expert mode, S Tronic is the way to go. It makes day-to-day drivers look like heroes on the road.:top:

shy. audi owners are shy and cheeky..
In 2007, around 500 cars were sold. In 2008, i heard it was around 600 cars. That's barely 15 percent of either BMW or Merc. It's dismal really. But then, what can you expect from having only a handful of outlets to serve the peninsular ?

The price of exclusivity..

They have such good products in their hands but I don't think enuff is being done to promote these products.

LHT;450521 said:
shy. audi owners are shy and cheeky..
In 2007, around 500 cars were sold. In 2008, i heard it was around 600 cars. That's barely 15 percent of either BMW or Merc. It's dismal really. But then, what can you expect from having only a handful of outlets to serve the peninsular ?

still more than Lexus I think.

i'm considering both the A4 B8 1.8T and BMW E90 325 M sports and have test driven both vehicles.
have already remove the MB W204 1.8K from my wish list coz e car is too mundane and abit too docile on power delivery and handling.
in terms of price range, an A4 B8 1.8T shld be compared to a E90 320i and not a 325. for a fair comparison the 325 m sports shld be compared to A4 B8 2.0T quattro. According to EM SA, the 2.0T Q shld be arnd the 300-310k price range, similar to 325 M sports.

what i can't understand is when ppl say that the driving dynamics of the E90 is superior to that of Audi.
this i would agreed when comparing e A4 in dynamic mode to m suspension on the 325 m sports.
but if comparing to e stock E90 320i suspension, the A4 handling is top notch.
The steering feel is not as tight as the A4, the A4 feel really good on e hands on dynamic mode.
the body roll on E90 is apparent when cornering hard and when negotiating bends at higher speed.
i tried the 323 on elevated h/way and was hitting abt 160 @ e bends.. oh boy e car felt floaty unlike e A4 which felt tight and turn in of e steering was also precise,
also RWD dynamics cannot be fully exploited w a low powered engine like the 320i.
u need rear wheel power to improve traction on the rear wheel for better handling.

now if u compared the 1.8T to e 325 m sports then e m sports suspension has the upper hand definitely.
but turn the tides around and compared it to the 2.0T quattro then i think the quattro is prob better.
but no comparison for now coz no B8 quatrro's arnd yet but if I've driven a B7 quattro and can say tt it can outperform the 325 m sports interms of both acceleration and handling.

so in essence, for ppl who have knowledge of high powered RWD cars can tell the difference.
as for the rest, you're prob be going w e norm, ie. what u've heard from others and not have 1st hand experience.
this is a fair comment from a neutral car enthusiast... still torn btwn a A4 and a E90 325 M

If i was going to pay for a 325, i'd go for the 2.0T quattro. Not just a personal preference on styling but as the goodfella here just mentioned, it is really a fair & neutral decision. There are beemers that rock all over an audi, but for this particular case (really), the B8 looks like a clear winner. The irrational decider ? your eyes.

And its such a mistery why the well known Car and Driver Car Magazine picked BMW 3 series on their comparison test as a winner since 20 years ago.........

"If Moses had brought down from the big guy himself, chiseled into stone, the chart for rating cars, maybe we’d have a different conclusion here. But he didn’t. So we calls ’em as we sees ’em. Yeah, this is subjective, but we think BMW has a special way with sports sedans."

its easy to make a car go fast....but it takes the champ to present a well balanced driving dynamic, performance and luxury in one complete package...

audi try hard to convince everyone that they are getting better...indeed they're....atleast other make in its category didn't dis their rival openly on the advertisement like what the audi did...it just plain desperate.

this sums it all.....

Top Bottom