Why is the 520d so cheap? with almost the 523i specs. BMW Malaysia...an explaination?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
RH5;647943 said:
yeah, true ashman55.. I was just trying to have some healthy discussion / changing information here to widen up my knowledge... i had a great man to man argument with supersonic, without saying too much who is right or wrong, i accepted his comments and that has definitely widen up my knowledge and others too.. :top:

You r welcome RH5. It was nice to have discussion with u too. I m not an expert but i try to chip in my point of view whenever i can. Then again..I may not be 100% right and some more knowledgeble person need to correct me if i m wrong.

cheers

xero200;647795 said:
I think the pricing of the F10 520d just sparked a ball of interest to buyers who felt the F10 was out of reach. Those buyers who were considering the high 200s to low 300s just found themselves open to this new segment. What's even more attractive, the pre-regs will be really good buys at 300k...

I sort of agree that this is the main reason for brisk sales of the F10 520d. rather than diesel or petrol engine. both engines have their pros and cons.

supersonic;647966 said:
You r welcome RH5. It was nice to have discussion with u too. I m not an expert but i try to chip in my point of view whenever i can. Then again..I may not be 100% right and some more knowledgeble person need to correct me if i m wrong.

cheers

That what I was trying to do too..

paultantk;647828 said:
i find some of these comments that laymen make and pass off as "advice" hilarious...

Mind to share whats your thought on those comments instead of just saying it was hilarious?

No point lah. Some people just likes to kill any discussion if it sound negative on diesel.

docrayboy;647959 said:
That's it's good we have Paul Tan in here who's not a layman..... who sets things right every now and then....

So is he an automotive engineer or worked in the auto industry?

cant believe how is it that people are complaining when there is a price reduction in the first place....hmmm...i've always thought that a price increase will spark complaints... but a reduction in price ? ?

being a first time owner of a turbodiesel engine ... i just gotta say that i find the car awesome from a layman's point of view.
1) I get a car which has super pick-up speeds :top:
2) Super fuel efficient(RM 100 for 700km minimum with quite a heavy right foot):wink:
3) Never having to be worried about petrol price increase(i think diesel is not subsidised in malaysia-not too sure)
4) paid less than a 320i (why bother about resale value 5 yrs later when i save now and enjoy for 5 yrs at minimum)
5) have read much about the "diesel quality in malaysia as compared to europe" but to me as long as its approved by bmw then whats the big deal? Hmmm...dont see much comparison or in depth study of the petrol here and europe.
5) Gets quite a good conversation with most of the people i meet when they become curious about "Why diesel" ? (dont get to chit chat much when its the usual "Oh .. you got a bmw...nice")
6) Get to "power-kit" it further ... :love:

If you ask me to trade all that in for a "quieter engine from the outside" or "emits less smoke", i would like to think the noise is always someone else's problem and the smoke is also someone else's problem ... lol....:biggrin:

imho, just because something is different people tend to talk about it more. Just need a bit more time for people to accept it.

or maybe ... if suddenly the petrol price drops drastically.... the quality of petrol also drops dramatically? :biggrin: maybe someone else will complain then if the petrol price is too cheap..:sleep:

Just to share some info.. the price for a brand new BMW diesel is also cheaper to compare with Petrol BMW in UK/Europe ... Except for the 535d model, the price is higher than the 535i..

Zarcon;647986 said:
............. or "emits less smoke"..

Mana ada smoke? Unless you are talking about people eating your smoke when you zoom off with your torque beast la....! :4:

Hehe.... no offense intended to anyone, ya? Thread was getting a bit heavy. We all love our version of the UDM joy machine, whatever it may be.

Cabutz! :4:

meetoo;647978 said:

Thanks for saying before me, I am keen to know too..or just someone paid to do a write up?
Own perception or proven by fact, and a dog/c blind supporter whom supposed to always talk about evidence based?

Gerald 5;648022 said:
Thanks for saying before me, I am keen to know too..or just someone paid to do a write up?
Own perception or proven by fact, and a dog/c blind supporter whom supposed to always talk about evidence based?

come on guys, why so personal, so what if he is not an automotive engineer??? if diesel is so bad, why would someone ever invest in this technology... even he is paid to do a write up, just talk about the good things, so what??? in reality, the good points are good what??? why can't look at the more positive point??? and keep on focusing on the negative point only...

haha! well said well said..personal..look back the thread my friend..no disrespect to any individual intended but who is anyone of us here comparing to the entire universe of the car manufacturers. They build cars of various spec for a reason.

EL118;647967 said:
I sort of agree that this is the main reason for brisk sales of the F10 520d. rather than diesel or petrol engine. both engines have their pros and cons.

Trust me, when you look at the pricing for the F10 520d, you're already half sold if you like the presentation of the F10's outlook. When the sales guys do a little more to accentuate the pros of diesel, you're definitely sold. I think the F10 520d will be a similar runaway success to the post facelift E90s found so many on the roads today.

What's with this "paid to write" allegations... I work hard day and night, 7 days a week for money to buy a 520d. I am not "paid to write" anything.

And please note this... I have never claimed that I am an auto engineer or in the auto industry or that my opinions are more important than anyone here. If others want to say so, they can say so... I'm going to state specifically now that I am not making any such claims so why do you have to attack me personally? Somemore bring up animal names all... haih

All I was doing (in another thread) is question the baseless comments that people keep bringing up bashing the reliability of the "d" models based on pure conjecture and hearsay.

The comment I made earlier was about bringing up in laws allegedly quoting things by ex BMW staff. It's alwyas so convenient. Mention that the person is a relative to establish the idea of a trusted person. Then say the relative heard from someone who works in BMW, or works in Auto Bavaria, or works in used car dealer, etc etc etc, to give them credibility.

Then they will say, all these people advice them not to buy diesel... but the story never goes beyond that as to WHY NOT BUY DIESEL? There's no reasons given, no reasons why got all this negativity.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but it's always the same... empty comments, but always putting down the "d" cars, with no real facts coming out.

Before I bought my 520d I also did my own fact checking, I asked in the E90 thread how the 320d owners are doing with their cars so far, after many pages of positive comments only I felt confident to take the plunge to buy the 520d. I was looking for facts, and I got positive facts. I wanted to know how a fresh car that was launched after the Euro 2 fuel was introduced was faring... I did not want to hear about cars that had run on the old terrible thousands of ppm sulphur fuel, our Euro 2 fuel is tested to be under 500ppm.

Where are the actual accounts/experiences of people suffering with their "d" cars??? If someone were having issues with the current Euro 2 fuel, I'm sure he would be screaming all over the forum like the people having suspension problems on the F10.

The reason why I have an issue with people spreading baseless rumours about the "d" cars is that it will affect my own financials in teh future in the sense that my car's resale value will be affected for no good concrete reason. Not because I am "paid" la... isn't that logical and completely acceptable?

I hope I have explained myself, and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm not going to comment any further... gonna just let this thread flare into the typical diesel (and diesel owner too it seems now) bashing party and die off.

RH5;647620 said:
:cool:
Just to share, my in law suggested me to get a 6 cylinders diesel if ever consider buying a turbodiesel engine. From his opinion, there might be some concern over the reliability of the 4 cylinders turbodiesel engine over long term period. The engine would be forced to do extra work to carry the F10 over a long time. Think about the forced induction of a 4 cylinder turbo engine needs to carry over a long period, what would happen? Push push push what will happen? Thats what he said... I am not sure about the reliability of this information but I did put a disclaimer up there? :cool:

I do envy the efficiency of the diesel engine though but I am just not so sure where are we at now with the current diesel being offered in Malaysia.

But I guess, for my first bimmer, its allright to have the NA engine before they vanished soon..

With turbocharging... things have become a little different - engine displacement doesn't necessarily mean everything now, although its still a big factor. A car manufacturer will engineer an engine's internals to withstand the amount of pressures it will have to withstand during turbocharging, no issues.

Current diesel offered in Malaysia runs at below 500ppm - around 300ppm to 400ppm in fact. That's almost Euro 3 in terms of sulphur content, which calls for 350ppm max sulphur. Of course, we cannot call it full Euro 3 spec because we're only looking at the sulphur content number here.

One of my writers Danny spoke to the Peugeot representative here (French guy, not the local Nasim boys) who drives a diesel Pug (Danny can't recall which model - I think its 3008 diesel). Nasim has sent some of our local diesel to France for testing and the results have come back surprising, apparently our diesel is not as bad as all of us think it is and things look positive for the introduction of diesel Pugs here.

But yeah, your last point... it will be good to experience the last of the normally aspirated inline-6 before the entire line-up will be filled with turbo petrol engines - already the inline-6 N55 has replaced the normally aspirated V8s, and the inline-4 N20 will now replace the normally aspirated inline-6. In fact, direct injection just spoils the sweet revving sound that you get with the N52... even the normally aspirated N53 really doesn't sound very good and that comment is made from my experience trashing a N53 engined 330i across Germany.

PS: This comment was written without having to resort to calling anyone a dog!

Gerald 5;648022 said:

I can't take this when somebody became narrow minded & oversensitive by calling names. Grow up!! My friend

meetoo;647978 said:

He is considered to be one of the leading automotive journalist in Malaysia ... So when he comments it's based on facts and information gathered in the automotive industry plus 1st hand experience as a diesel owner but i'm sure you know that already.

Gerald 5;648022 said:

That is uncalled for bro ... Why the hostility??? No need to resort to name calling let's be civilised.

Paul, just do what u wish to do here. Somw jokers here are "little people". Am proud to come in here to read ur constructive & facts comments unlike others who talk with no substance. Pls continue ur good stuffs sharing. Thanks

paultantk;648082 said:
What's with this "paid to write" allegations... I work hard day and night, 7 days a week for money to buy a 520d. I am not "paid to write" anything.

And please note this... I have never claimed that I am an auto engineer or in the auto industry or that my opinions are more important than anyone here. If others want to say so, they can say so... I'm going to state specifically now that I am not making any such claims so why do you have to attack me personally? Somemore bring up animal names all... haih

All I was doing (in another thread) is question the baseless comments that people keep bringing up bashing the reliability of the "d" models based on pure conjecture and hearsay.

The comment I made earlier was about bringing up in laws allegedly quoting things by ex BMW staff. It's alwyas so convenient. Mention that the person is a relative to establish the idea of a trusted person. Then say the relative heard from someone who works in BMW, or works in Auto Bavaria, or works in used car dealer, etc etc etc, to give them credibility.

Then they will say, all these people advice them not to buy diesel... but the story never goes beyond that as to WHY NOT BUY DIESEL? There's no reasons given, no reasons why got all this negativity.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but it's always the same... empty comments, but always putting down the "d" cars, with no real facts coming out.

Before I bought my 520d I also did my own fact checking, I asked in the E90 thread how the 320d owners are doing with their cars so far, after many pages of positive comments only I felt confident to take the plunge to buy the 520d. I was looking for facts, and I got positive facts. I wanted to know how a fresh car that was launched after the Euro 2 fuel was introduced was faring... I did not want to hear about cars that had run on the old terrible thousands of ppm sulphur fuel, our Euro 2 fuel is tested to be under 500ppm.

Where are the actual accounts/experiences of people suffering with their "d" cars??? If someone were having issues with the current Euro 2 fuel, I'm sure he would be screaming all over the forum like the people having suspension problems on the F10.

The reason why I have an issue with people spreading baseless rumours about the "d" cars is that it will affect my own financials in teh future in the sense that my car's resale value will be affected for no good concrete reason. Not because I am "paid" la... isn't that logical and completely acceptable?

I hope I have explained myself, and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm not going to comment any further... gonna just let this thread flare into the typical diesel (and diesel owner too it seems now) bashing party and die off.

I would like to stress that I did not make up the story nor I was trying to tell that my cars are better than anybody else. I also dont see that my in law has reason to lie to me too, why would he? But Like EL118 said, both cars has their pro n cons and I do agree with him. Even the F1 car has their own problem.

I would also like to stress that I did not mean to spread any bad rumors. The only reason I shared those stories because I was hoping for answers to the accuracy of the information I have. In other words, I would like to have nothing more than a healthy discussion to gain more knowledge and I think this is the place to do so.

As I always said, I do envy the efficiency of diesel engines many times and I do currently live in the country where most people buy diesels.

Top Bottom