Why is the 520d so cheap? with almost the 523i specs. BMW Malaysia...an explaination?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
xero200;642727 said:
Lefthanded;642590 said:
Agree at some point... But what so wrong with lowering the price.. If people want to be so elitist, then BMW range of cars is the wrong place. Bently, Jaguar is more like it.. Personally, if money is not an issue, I still won't buy those cars, at least for now. I'm driving BMW because it's A BMW. I rest my

I saw in Bangkok Airport the F01s were being used as taxi limos...
hehehehe

OK back to the original topic. The way I see it is, BMW Malaysia can reduce prices due to:

- reduced taxes for a smaller engine (RM30k?)
- reduced specs eg. no Active Steering (RM10k?)
- reduced possible warranty/support costs eg. no Active Steering to break :D

I think that basically should cover the RM50k difference in price.

Also to add why the 520d is cheaper is due to it being SKD thus cheaper as the tax structure is not on CBU pricing. So i am assuming even with the low sticker price it still has comparable margin to the rest of the f10 range.

In fact if they were to price it anymore expensive i think some would complain why is the 520d so expensive!!

Hi bros, I have a 320d and happy to see many people is buying the 520d as it is more affordable now. My salesman told me that the waiting period is more than 6 months! After this a lot of people will come to know how good a diesel car is. I have friends calling me an asking abt my diesel engine car ...n i told them the truth... awesome. The stigma of owning a diesel car in malaysia will slowly fade away. Good stretagy by BMW.

I was told that the diesel engine is slightly favored by the company car user/ businessman who will use their car as their business tools for long mileage use. They will sell it after using it for 5 years and will replace it with new diesel car. Any problem on the old car will be passed to the second hand buyer. I was also told that the diesel engine sound would be slightly louder too after 2-3 years. Maybe this is the reason why the diesel engine car is harder to sell or lower in second hand value? I first regretted for not getting the 520d, but I think I will be fine with the naturally aspirated 6 inline engine as for my first BMW. Time will tells...

First of all I would like to congratulate u for owning a 5 series. At the same time I also fell very sorry for u for not getting a 520d. Perhaps u became a victim of perception.
If you dont mind can give me some clarification on yr thoughts:

1. Why do businessmen favour diesel car over petrol for business tool and long term use? I think fuel price almost the same now.
2. Why do businessman sell their diesel car after 5 yrs and replace again with newdiesel car? Dosent these also apply to petrol cars
3. How do u know diesel engine will sound louder after a few yrs more than petrol engine. Any evidence on these?

As to the 2nd hand value I think it is based on demand and supply factor . We cant tell yet but now u got to wait abt 6 mths to get a520d.

Thanks

RH5;647113 said:
I was told that the diesel engine is slightly favored by the company car user/ businessman who will use their car as their business tools for long mileage use. They will sell it after using it for 5 years and will replace it with new diesel car. Any problem on the old car will be passed to the second hand buyer. I was also told that the diesel engine sound would be slightly louder too after 2-3 years. Maybe this is the reason why the diesel engine car is harder to sell or lower in second hand value? I first regretted for not getting the 520d, but I think I will be fine with the naturally aspirated 6 inline engine as for my first BMW. Time will tells...

:cool:
supersonic;647520 said:
First of all I would like to congratulate u for owning a 5 series. At the same time I also fell very sorry for u for not getting a 520d. Perhaps u became a victim of perception.
If you dont mind can give me some clarification on yr thoughts:

1. Why do businessmen favour diesel car over petrol for business tool and long term use? I think fuel price almost the same now.
2. Why do businessman sell their diesel car after 5 yrs and replace again with newdiesel car? Dosent these also apply to petrol cars
3. How do u know diesel engine will sound louder after a few yrs more than petrol engine. Any evidence on these?

As to the 2nd hand value I think it is based on demand and supply factor . We cant tell yet but now u got to wait abt 6 mths to get a520d.

Thanks

Before I proceed, I would first put some disclaimer here as I am not an expert on this area and I am not trying to provoke anybody. I only got this information from chatting with my in law, who use to sell car before he got retired.

So, this is my reply to your question Supersonic..

RON 95 & diesel shares the same price but for the same full tank, the diesel car will go LONGER miles. The 523i will run for about 650km while the 520d will run for about 950km on extra urban consumption.

I do agree with you that it applies to petrol car too as it will be some headache to maintain a car after 5 years. But, If somebody came to you now and offered you a 5 years old 4 cylinder turbodiesel BMW and a 5 years old NA 6 inline petrol BMW for about the same price, which one you would want to take?

Businessman would normally do a lot of travels and its economical for them to have a diesel engine car. They will lenjan or get the "value" of their car because they normally travels longer miles for their business purpose. They will sell it after 5 years as cars would normally give problems after that period and after all, the car has also been consuming the lower diesel quality in Malaysia too...

Im afraid that I don’t have any evidence for this because it was only based on my informal chatting discussion with my father in law. Worth to mention that he used to sell cars before and FYI, he also considered buying the 520d too but decided against it after speaking to his friend who used to work with BMW Malaysia.

Just to share, my in law suggested me to get a 6 cylinders diesel if ever consider buying a turbodiesel engine. From his opinion, there might be some concern over the reliability of the 4 cylinders turbodiesel engine over long term period. The engine would be forced to do extra work to carry the F10 over a long time. Think about the forced induction of a 4 cylinder turbo engine needs to carry over a long period, what would happen? Push push push what will happen? Thats what he said... I am not sure about the reliability of this information but I did put a disclaimer up there? :cool:

I do envy the efficiency of the diesel engine though but I am just not so sure where are we at now with the current diesel being offered in Malaysia.

But I guess, for my first bimmer, its allright to have the NA engine before they vanished soon..

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/04/15/are-you-going-to-miss-the-big-six-engines/

guys, time will tell whether who gets it right... afterall it is our own choice which to get ma...

My brother in law who clocks 800+ kms a week just got a 320i executive edition lately, i asked him why did buy a diesel instead ? he was looking for a 520d, waiting period so long, buy this instead...i think BMW Malaysia under estimated the diesel sales here..

I think the pricing of the F10 520d just sparked a ball of interest to buyers who felt the F10 was out of reach. Those buyers who were considering the high 200s to low 300s just found themselves open to this new segment. What's even more attractive, the pre-regs will be really good buys at 300k...

RH5;647620 said:
:Just to share, my in law suggested me to get a 6 cylinders diesel if ever consider buying a turbodiesel engine. From his opinion, there might be some concern over the reliability of the 4 cylinders turbodiesel engine over long term period. The engine would be forced to do extra work to carry the F10 over a long time. Think about the forced induction of a 4 cylinder turbo engine needs to carry over a long period, what would happen? Push push push what will happen? Thats what he said... I am not sure about the reliability of this information but I did put a disclaimer up there? :cool:

I do envy the efficiency of the diesel engine though but I am just not so sure where are we at now with the current diesel being offered in Malaysia.

But I guess, for my first bimmer, its allright to have the NA engine before they vanished soon..

but these four banger has bigger bore (area to push per revo) over 6pot..anyway i still jus wan 525d for de sake of six pot smoothness

RH5;647620 said:
:cool:

Before I proceed, I would first put some disclaimer here as I am not an expert on this area and I am not trying to provoke anybody. I only got this information from chatting with my in law, who use to sell car before he got retired.

So, this is my reply to your question Supersonic..

RON 95 & diesel shares the same price but for the same full tank, the diesel car will go LONGER miles. The 523i will run for about 650km while the 520d will run for about 950km on extra urban consumption.

I do agree with you that it applies to petrol car too as it will be some headache to maintain a car after 5 years. But, If somebody came to you now and offered you a 5 years old 4 cylinder turbodiesel BMW and a 5 years old NA 6 inline petrol BMW for about the same price, which one you would want to take?

Businessman would normally do a lot of travels and its economical for them to have a diesel engine car. They will lenjan or get the "value" of their car because they normally travels longer miles for their business purpose. They will sell it after 5 years as cars would normally give problems after that period and after all, the car has also been consuming the lower diesel quality in Malaysia too...

Im afraid that I don’t have any evidence for this because it was only based on my informal chatting discussion with my father in law. Worth to mention that he used to sell cars before and FYI, he also considered buying the 520d too but decided against it after speaking to his friend who used to work with BMW Malaysia.

Just to share, my in law suggested me to get a 6 cylinders diesel if ever consider buying a turbodiesel engine. From his opinion, there might be some concern over the reliability of the 4 cylinders turbodiesel engine over long term period. The engine would be forced to do extra work to carry the F10 over a long time. Think about the forced induction of a 4 cylinder turbo engine needs to carry over a long period, what would happen? Push push push what will happen? Thats what he said... I am not sure about the reliability of this information but I did put a disclaimer up there? :cool:

Hi RH5, thanks for yr answars

For point no 1 agreed

For point no2 dont agree coz before buying we should consider the condition of the car ..whether petrol or diesel, 6 potter or 4 potter dosent matter. I think both are equal on these. For diesel quality. it have been approved by BMW. Do u think BMW , who spend billions of euro on R&D will allow their cars run on inferior fuel in order to tarnish their image later on???

For point 3 ...dont agree coz diesel engine is more efficient and work less harder than petrol engine in terms of RPM actually.

i find some of these comments that laymen make and pass off as "advice" hilarious...

Everybody's suddenly an automobile engineer with indepth petrol and diesel engine-making knowledge with vast work experience from Munich/Stutgart offering their expertise for free on the forum, Paul.

The laymen "advices"make this forum interesting.How nice if those are not true and debunked in here then everybody learns something about the UDM.Thats why we keep coming here right?..

haha... apologise guyss... i knew that my comments would sparks some angry replies here, but again and again, i did put a disclaimer on my comments and i admit from the start that im not an expert & I would like to clear up that Im not trying to be an expert too... this is just for the sake of having a healthy discussion and I am hoping to broaden up my knowledge...

Like i said, i do envy the efficiency of the diesel engine car... god willing i might buy one of those when they replaced the f10.. i hope.. so peace guysss.... :18:

:top:
supersonic;647813 said:
Hi RH5, thanks for yr answars

For point no 1 agreed

For point no2 dont agree coz before buying we should consider the condition of the car ..whether petrol or diesel, 6 potter or 4 potter dosent matter. I think both are equal on these. For diesel quality. it have been approved by BMW. Do u think BMW , who spend billions of euro on R&D will allow their cars run on inferior fuel in order to tarnish their image later on???

For point 3 ...dont agree coz diesel engine is more efficient and work less harder than petrol engine in terms of RPM actually.

Supersonic, thanks for the info..:top:

ashman55;647938 said:
The laymen "advices"make this forum interesting.How nice if those are not true and debunked in here then everybody learns something about the UDM.Thats why we keep coming here right?..

yeah, true ashman55.. I was just trying to have some healthy discussion / changing information here to widen up my knowledge... i had a great man to man argument with supersonic, without saying too much who is right or wrong, i accepted his comments and that has definitely widen up my knowledge and others too.. :top:

ashman55;647938 said:

That's it's good we have Paul Tan in here who's not a layman..... who sets things right every now and then....

docrayboy;647959 said:
That's it's good we have Paul Tan in here who's not a layman..... who sets things right every now and then....

Spot on my friend.It is an honor to have Paul gracing this forum..

Top Bottom