Questions on F10 520d (about to purchase the car)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
With due respect to the "d" fellas, I too was in a dilemma and test drove both 520d and 520i constantly, even back to back before deciding on the latter. Despite the stronger initial torque well mated to the 8-spd transmission, ultimately I felt the 520i's power delivery to be more linear and more within my expectations in terms of comfort and flexibility. By the latter, I mean the ability to sustain acceleration beyond 4,000 rpms. The great thing about the Twin Scroll Turbo (which is not in the 520d) is how it doesn't run out of breath at higher rpms. This aspect in the 520i even betters the A6 2.0 TFSI which tends to go flat after 5,000 rpms. At least the A6 gets paddle shifters I think to drop a gear faster, sigh!

im still trying to get a test car from AB Jalan Tun Razak - 520i. to get the 520d over, I had to wait 6 days. SA seems to be a bit slack.

rsnavin;759131 said:
im still trying to get a test car from AB Jalan Tun Razak - 520i. to get the 520d over, I had to wait 6 days. SA seems to be a bit slack.

Try Ingress. They were quite accomodating to back to back test drives.

I very highly recommend the 520d. Just wish they'd stop treating the diesel owners like the guys who buy the car only because it's the 5 with the lowest price tag. I want a 520d, but with better audio and better seats. And I don't mind paying more for that. I wanted sports steering and nicer wheels too but that stuff I retrofitted, seats and audio much more complicated and expensive.

If they sell a 530d with the above specs, lagi syok. 6 cylinder diesel got me hooked...

paultantk;759139 said:
I very highly recommend the 520d. Just wish they'd stop treating the diesel owners like the guys who buy the car only because it's the 5 with the lowest price tag. I want a 520d, but with better audio and better seats. And I don't mind paying more for that. I wanted sports steering and nicer wheels too but that stuff I retrofitted, seats and audio much more complicated and expensive.

If they sell a 530d with the above specs, lagi syok. 6 cylinder diesel got me hooked...

Why did you go over for an X5 if you dont mind me asking? I agree the seats could have been better and the audio system is disappointing, to say the least. BTw, I came across this site called bavsound.com Apparently you can pretty much swap out the speakers without redoing any wiring etc. but a system for the F10 has not been released yet. Asked the SA and he says they dont allow any change of specs.

rsnavin;759144 said:
I agree the seats could have been better and the audio system is disappointing, to say the least. BTw, I came across this site called bavsound.com Apparently you can pretty much swap out the speakers without redoing any wiring etc. but a system for the F10 has not been released yet. Asked the SA and he says they dont allow any change of specs.
Correct; Indonesian spec "d" has an embarrasing stereo system as well. The car equip with 6 speakers and a small idrive monitor :(
I also spoke with some of the SA's in several dealers for Jakarta area and they all said that BMW Indonesia doesnt allow any change of audio specs; unless, when the warranty is expired and do a retrofit (larger screen and what nots)..

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a test drive for 528i and see how it goes.. I know.. not exactly apple to apple but just to satisfied my curiousity ;)

By the way, do all of you "d" owners smell diesel fumes in the cabin when driving? During last week test drive I remember I smell diesel inside the vehicle during one of the stops, such as in traffic, waiting the light to go green, etc. At first I thought perhaps the air circulation button was switched off but the smell was clearly there. Interstingly it was gone when I managed to get out of traffic and onto the highway... what gives?

lmaleke;759232 said:
Correct; Indonesian spec "d" has an embarrasing stereo system as well. The car equip with 6 speakers and a small idrive monitor :(
I also spoke with some of the SA's in several dealers for Jakarta area and they all said that BMW Indonesia doesnt allow any change of audio specs; unless, when the warranty is expired and do a retrofit (larger screen and what nots)..

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a test drive for 528i and see how it goes.. I know.. not exactly apple to apple but just to satisfied my curiousity ;)

By the way, do all of you "d" owners smell diesel fumes in the cabin when driving? During last week test drive I remember I smell diesel inside the vehicle during one of the stops, such as in traffic, waiting the light to go green, etc. At first I thought perhaps the air circulation button was switched off but the smell was clearly there. Interstingly it was gone when I managed to get out of traffic and onto the highway... what gives?

no diesel smell at all....

rsnavin;759144 said:
Why did you go over for an X5 if you dont mind me asking? I agree the seats could have been better and the audio system is disappointing, to say the least. BTw, I came across this site called bavsound.com Apparently you can pretty much swap out the speakers without redoing any wiring etc. but a system for the F10 has not been released yet. Asked the SA and he says they dont allow any change of specs.

Various reasons

6 cylinder diesel racun
Needed more versatile and Taller boot
Wanted better rear passenger area. X5 has flat floor at the rear, no middle hump, better legroom.
F10 was already 1.5 years old... Warranty expiring in about half a year

Bps took it in for 270k, 1.5 years old with nearly 30k km mileage

If they had a 530d touring it would be my choice instead of an x5

thanks paul. btw, bmw malaysia tells me they are looking to bring in the new nav pro and connectedrive system in the near future, but did not specifically indicate when. i was reading in a uk forum that some of them have got the m performance diesel tuning kit from bmw fitted in their car. sounds good to me but probably we will not see it this part of the world perhaps?

I stumbled across this site: realoem.com for BMW parts, you start by choosing your model from the prompts and it gives you a vast selection of parts to retrofit your car. I was wondering that it might be possible to fit in new speakers and amp by B&O. Check out this page: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=FW12&mospid=52407&hg=65&fg=20

Just a thought. Will shoot the site admin an email to request for more info.

Top Bottom