Engine oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
after my experience dealing with them since last year i can really understand ur feeling...

its like dealing with kedai bawah pokok punya foreman but in nicely built showroom nia...haha

for the past 6 months been sending the car in for suspension issues that makes the car unstable but until now haven't fix yet...damn sien...now that the warranty is over even worse dun bother to properly check my car summore...

Lol, yea lar...i dunno to laugh or to cry.....dammit. I lost faith in BMW already. Then %@^%!!! My car must be stinky tomolo and will definately go back to AB. Hope they can do something on the spot and stop asking me to come back later. I'm numb towards all this already. As chinese saying "SEE BROKEN" already.

DMeNS;349271 said:
Lol, yea lar...i dunno to laugh or to cry.....dammit. I lost faith in BMW already. Then %@^%!!! My car must be stinky tomolo and will definately go back to AB. Hope they can do something on the spot and stop asking me to come back later. I'm numb towards all this already. As chinese saying "SEE BROKEN" already.

send for car wash .. proper one, using MEGUAIRS products
They have this odor eliminator product, can cover all the funny smell

IsaacVky;349274 said:
send for car wash .. proper one, using MEGUAIRS products
They have this odor eliminator product, can cover all the funny smell

The problem is that my car is clean n non-odor at first. After send it to do the heart transplant then become like fish market....zzzzz.....its not fair for me to pay for all that rite?

DMeNS;349275 said:
The problem is that my car is clean n non-odor at first. After send it to do the heart transplant then become like fish market....zzzzz.....its not fair for me to pay for all that rite?

Go back AB there see jokers only ..
If I were you I'd just send for wash and settle myself quick and fast
If you know where's Subang USJ1, there's a KLASSE car detailing center owned by my friend, very reasonable charges.

IsaacVky;349289 said:
Go back AB there see jokers only ..
If I were you I'd just send for wash and settle myself quick and fast
If you know where's Subang USJ1, there's a KLASSE car detailing center owned by my friend, very reasonable charges.

Own by ur friend?? how much he charge for full detailing? How to tell him that u recommended me there? Maybe first trial is free?? LOL!! :top:

Updates- Went back to AB today and highlighted the problems to them. Took my car and giv me another courtesy car...said havr to remove the carpets and will be done in 4 to 5 days. So? Wait lor...

Wow, this is a lot worse than what i went through. Infact i was lucky all this while that i wasn't billed for the many top ups that they did for my car. RM60 per top up every 3000km would be a lot!
So far my car has been driving ok following the change of engine block. But funny thing is I notice they never topped up the oil to the max. It showed 2 blocks short of the full 5 on the computer screen. Will monitor closely and keep you guys posted. Also they haven't gotten back to me re the paper work on the change in engine no.
DMens, guess they left your car in the open with all the windows down and then it poured.... Make sure they replace all the carpets, not just dry them.
Cheers

SpaceMonkey & RoyalFlush,
Any updates on your heart transplants? Now I'm confused re this paperwork thingy. The SA at Segambut told me they'd get back to me (in a couple of weeks) on the paperwork for endorsement of the change in engine no. And mine only involved a change of engine block too. Now which is which, paperwork or not, I'm wondering.
Guess i'll wait for the call from Ab and see what it says.
Cheers

yellowmanta;349838 said:
Any updates on your heart transplants? Now I'm confused re this paperwork thingy. The SA at Segambut told me they'd get back to me (in a couple of weeks) on the paperwork for endorsement of the change in engine no. And mine only involved a change of engine block too. Now which is which, paperwork or not, I'm wondering.
Cheers

Engine number is mostly stamped on engine block.

yellowmanta;349831 said:
Wow, this is a lot worse than what i went through. Infact i was lucky all this while that i wasn't billed for the many top ups that they did for my car. RM60 per top up every 3000km would be a lot!
So far my car has been driving ok following the change of engine block. But funny thing is I notice they never topped up the oil to the max. It showed 2 blocks short of the full 5 on the computer screen. Will monitor closely and keep you guys posted. Also they haven't gotten back to me re the paper work on the change in engine no.
DMens, guess they left your car in the open with all the windows down and then it poured.... Make sure they replace all the carpets, not just dry them.
Cheers

I dunno what they did to my car, doesnt seems as new as i send them in, looks and smells a bit cacat now. Sigh...i really "see broken" dy so i dun care so much anymore. Have not got my car yet though and will check with them tomolo again. They did top-up, full bar shown on the monitor when i got my car back. Cheers!

yellowmanta;349838 said:
Cheers

Well, there are 2 things that will happen when u change the engine block. Was told this by AB.

1st: Change the new engine block, BMW germany pre-punch the old engine number to the new block and sent it over to AB. U will no need to re-do any paperwork since the engine number still the same.

2nd: Which is my case, New engine block with different number was sent and therefore i was told to wait at least a month and have to send my car to Puspakom and then to JPJ to re-do the paperwork.

Anyway, just to check with you, when i have my new engine block, the milege used back the original figures? Was told they cant reset it to 0 although the new engine will starts from 0km. So u have to keep track the original milege of your new engine block.

Hi DMeNS,
I think mine should be same case as yours since I don't recall the SA ever telling me anything about same no being punched on new engine block. Anyway, the mileage wasn't reset but left at where it was. Does it matter if the mileage is reset or not?
Cheers

yellowmanta;350428 said:
Hi DMeNS,
I think mine should be same case as yours since I don't recall the SA ever telling me anything about same no being punched on new engine block. Anyway, the mileage wasn't reset but left at where it was. Does it matter if the mileage is reset or not?
Cheers

I dunno if it does matter if the mileage is reset or not. But by common sense, new engine block should starts with 0km. Therefore if we use back the old mileage which means thats not the original and correct mileage for ur engine. Its just personal views, someone might say it doesnt and some might say it does. Just keep track of ur original mileage before heart transplant and the new mileage for ur new heart i would say. Cheers!

DMeNs...

did they replace all the engine's component or the block only?

things like pistons, crankshaft, valve and etc...

t2ribena;350553 said:
DMeNs...

did they replace all the engine's component or the block only?

things like pistons, crankshaft, valve and etc...

The whole engine components except the top cover only.

YellowManta,

Last week they topped up the engine oil and I will return to AB Glenmarie after exactly 1000 km for them to measure level again. My car has done only about 28K km and I've topped up engine oil 5-6 times now. I've only ever paid for it once but subsequently i insist they do it for free. In fact, they kept trying to convince me this is a normal occurrence for the new magnesium engines but can't explain why this happens only to select few 5ers! IF really this is acceptable - I will insist on a black and white from BMW Malaysia followed by an agreement they top up my engine oil for FREE for the LIFESPAN of my car!!

Anyway will keep you guys posted on the whether my car needs heart transplant.

Resetting the mileage to zero sounds like a benefit (for resale value) wouldn't it???????:rolleyes:

Looking at various comments on this issue, I would like to add a few words…

Since Valvetronic engine and engine oil interval done at 25,000km, all engine oil viscosity now has been revised to 5W30 or 0W30 (or equivalent – meaning thinner viscosity) due to tighter engine tolerance. Using thicker viscosity meaning no good to engine since the engine oil cannot go to tight freeplay areas properly. If no oil there, mean friction. Friction means reduced engine life..

By its natural character, thinner engine oil means the oil now more tangible to vaporizing rate. If you open up the oil filler cap with engine hot, you can see the oil vapor clouding the valve train area.

And by considering the BMW engine construction, the oil vapor will be collected by an oil trap beneath the intake manifold. Liquidized oil will returned to the oil pan. Excess vapor will be channeled back to the intake manifold where it will be drawn into the combustion chamber (burnt!) and later thru the catalytic converter so that it won’t pollute our breathable air.

This is how the engine oil loss comes.

According to BMW specification, maximum permissible engine oil consumption is approx 1 liter for every 1,600km…

So, in this case it is normal for you to have the engine oil added after the car has covered few thousand kilometers since last oil change.

I think no other car makes that has engine oil interval done on every 25,000km… dun worry if you need to top-up between the oil service as far its does not takes you beyond maximum permissible range.

I will check the list of approved engine oils for your BMW later…

Thank you very much for your input mangkor :top:IF only the boys at AB can give me an explanation like this i wouldn't have been so worried all this time. You seemed very well versed with BMW engines...are you in any way attached to BMW Malaysia?

Nonetheless, several prevailing issues remain unsolved.

1. If your theory of 'engine oil' consumption is accurate, why does this only affect a handful of 5 series with the R52 engines? I've been told in confidence by an AB service technician that 95% of new 5 series have no such problems.

2. You mentioned that according to BMW specification, maximum permissible engine oil consumption is approx 1 liter for every 1,600km...why then did the technicians not show me this? (Where can i find this information?)

3. Why did BMW Malaysia refuse to issue a letter saying that this is a 'normal' occurrence that is to be expected?

Finally, the engine oil level gauge in iDrive..the warning comes on when it is at a minimum but to add just 1 L of oil. Does it mean it has just dropped 1 L and not truly down to the minimum? If so, why did it not just drop a bar before prompting?

Really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance

Top Bottom