wind noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
nazrisalleh;849063 said:
Mr Ken85...I cant be more than agree with you about the wind cutting noise at 100kmhr.I feel like driving a cheap car at times,even d handling is undeniably superior.So the wind noise basically kills the joy of driving partly...Am too trying to look for solutions but so far..no joy.Am trying to get owners of f30 with free wind noise at 110km to be in contact with me...so with their permission I would want to prove to bmw dealers that the some f30s are without the noise.Hopefully with this direct comparison of the two cars, one with noise n the other one is without, they wud be obligated to do some fixing to the affected cars.

At last someone have the same feeling with me. It does feel like a cheap car and my friends is commenting should get it insulated. I search through many other forums overseas and all of them say the same. But no solution, so im trying to see if anyone solve this issue at accessories shop outside and would recommend a good one to me.

What sort of insulation? The wind noise is combined result of poor design engineering as well as ill-fitting parts. No amount of padding can cure.

i concur. i could have a conversation in my ex-330i at that speed without raising my voice, unlike with my F30.

rayncc;849206 said:
The E46 of old seems serene at 200kmh

am trying to fill all the pillars this weekend with foam and see if any better will update you all.

btw.. at 120kmh, F30 registered at 79db. while my ford ranger at 72.. wtf!!

- - - Updated - - -

am trying to fill all the pillars this weekend with foam and see if any better will update you all.

u can try remove the side mirror and drive without them attached..see if the wing mirror design has anything to do with d noise..
for me, i moved on... regarding feels like driving a cheap car, i hv driven the F10 520i too for a few day and i think my f30 is not far behind if not the same as the F10 in terms of noise....so, i dun feel like driving a cheap car hahahahaa..

Fredo;849287 said:
u can try remove the side mirror and drive without them attached..see if the wing mirror design has anything to do with d noise..
for me, i moved on... regarding feels like driving a cheap car, i hv driven the F10 520i too for a few day and i think my f30 is not far behind if not the same as the F10 in terms of noise....so, i dun feel like driving a cheap car hahahahaa..

The f10 is definitely better insulated than the f30. You will notice it immediately when you enter the car. I guess you get for what you pay for.

Who wants to volunteer to have his side mirror removed for testing wind noise? Hahaha

mizhan;849200 said:
What sort of insulation? The wind noise is combined result of poor design engineering as well as ill-fitting parts. No amount of padding can cure.

Agree w u bro. Its probably not the wing mirrors. Its an overall design flaw of the sound insulation.
The following is an easy way to test this out...
- crank up the car stereo
- go out of the car and close the door.
- listen to how much u can hear the sound from ouside the car (noise leakage)
- now do the same with an e90 or a relatively new e46
- immediately u can hear the difference in how much less noise leaks out from the e90

i used to be amazed how loud i can crank up the stereo in my e90, while outsiders can barely hear the sound. Not so with the f30....

The noise leak to/from the f30 comes from everywhere...seals, sound proofing, and maybe some holes somewhere too. Its a global problem with no solution...yet

Alan

Any positive outcome from foaming the pillars?

alantiong;849274 said:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Alan

Any positive outcome from foaming the pillars?

alantiong;849274 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Dont think foaming the pillars will help the noise. Sorry to say this but F30 is a crap.

[video=youtube;wDoZl_j-qjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDoZl_j-qjs[/video]

sadly.. not much.. infact no improvement. the next thing i realised is that the door panel is empty and not insulated like 5 and 7. i trip to tape off the water drainage hole. the wind sound gone much wuiter.. so thats the next project. now to stop the wind/air goes into the door panel. i noticed in my 7, there is rubber seals that fills up the gap between body and door but not on a 3. however, i dont remember that on my 5 either.

Just putting my input after taking the car up to 180kmh. Seems that this car's wind noise starts at approx. 100kmh and builds up as your top speed builds up. It gets really noisy at 160kmh and even my wifey notices it when she was in the car with me at around 120kmh. I can accept the road noise coming from the tyres but not the wind noise....sadly my previous car which cost half the price of this car has lesser wind noise.

I remember watching in BMW TV that the German car maker is so advance that they have BMW sound technology team that study, test and improve the sound generated while driving a BMW to improve the overall driver experience. The team will test and improvise on the sound of door closing, window winding, engine sound, exhaust sound, signal indicator sound, warning sound, etc to have an overall BMW feel. But I think they seems to have overlook on the most basic sound of nature, the wind.

i think the whole dept of sound engineering is a failure, nt only overlook the wind noise, there are still engine clatter, interior rattle, suspension knocking noise etc. what the purpose of keeping such a lousy dept...

I think the wind sound (Those who didn't like it said wind noise) is intently to design for our car so that we fell BMW is fast when we heard the wind sound. When we heard the strong wind sound like a tornado coming, we know the car is fast, BMW car is a very fast car.:top:

Ya, heard from many that a lowly Slyphy is much more quieter than a F30, bloody CKD quality !!

For wind noise, I guess the car score high will be the Mercedes CLA, as it has cd 0.23 Tyre noise is a different story then

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, heard from many that a lowly Slyphy is much more quieter than a F30, bloody CKD quality !!

For wind noise, I guess the car score high will be the Mercedes CLA, as it has cd 0.23 Tyre noise is a different story then

Had it looked at few months back. They added more rubber padding under wind screen but no improvement. TA advice it's coming from side mirror frankly. I didn't bother to try fix again. Wind noise starts at 100kph. Had Side mirrors up same. I think it's less sound insulation. My previous E46 had no such issue.

My F30 also has the wind noise. Was totally suprised by the noise when exceeding 100km/h as never experienced this with my previous cars before... But like everyone says, got used to it. Just decided to enjoy the power rather than be bothered by the noise. More concerned about the steering rack and my internal lightings (which have suddenly failed). They have ordered both parts and awaiting replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone went the extra mile with after market SP to reduce the wind noise? Saw KL Auto's FB page that some F30 were worked on

Top Bottom