wind noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi, Autofoam seems to be an interesting solution to reduce noise, anyone here in the forum tried? Results good? am worried that they have to take out most of your car to do this, refitting imperfectly is also a nightmare...

https://www.facebook.com/AutoFoam?ref=stream

Good to get some feedback, I have my F30 recently, noise from tyres and wind louder than my previous B8 A4...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Autofoam seems to be an interesting solution to reduce noise, anyone here in the forum tried? Results good? am worried that they have to take out most of your car to do this, refitting imperfectly is also a nightmare...

Good to get some feedback, I have my F30 recently, noise from tyres and wind louder than my previous B8 A4...

Hi cant help seeing this being discussed without any solution. From my observation the problem is with the window's rubber seal, they do not "clamp" tightly to these windows, therefore the wind noise is high. I have added some tapes around these areas at a and b pillars front and back door, it is very quiet now. But there is still a grey area on one small spot ie at bottom b pillar. There is some small noise still sipping in and I cannot find any discrepancies here.

bhs;851354 said:
Hi cant help seeing this being discussed without any solution. From my observation the problem is with the window's rubber seal, they do not "clamp" tightly to these windows, therefore the wind noise is high. I have added some tapes around these areas at a and b pillars front and back door, it is very quiet now. But there is still a grey area on one small spot ie at bottom b pillar. There is some small noise still sipping in and I cannot find any discrepancies here.

Care to show us some photos of your solution so that we can all benefit from it.

Sorry really dunno how to upload the photo in the forum. Not an IT person. Pls suggest alternative.

Just to share abt the wind noise which I had on my 320d. I bought the f30 320d ckd sept 2012. The wind noise quite loud when there was no music on. I took it back to my dealer (bmw tun razak) and they asked me to keep the car the for one week. I picked it up a week later and the noise had bee reduced by almost 80%. very good.

This is what they did. They sent my car to the bmw body work and the adjusted the car fenders. According to the after sales manager it is a common noise problem for f30 320's in terms of their aerodynamics. They also resealed my front mirror with extra sealent.

Been a year since and its riding quietly. I guess those who actually complain abt it may get it rectified. Good thing the after sales manager there was a cool guy, they gave me a e90 for a week when my car was in. :).

So this was my solution for my car. If your car is still under warranty you may want to take it back to AB. Hope this helps

Dear Jsimon,
Although I have 'treated' my car internally for wind noise, might as well I treat the root cause which is the external.

Appreciate if you can let me know the name of the person u have dealt with so that I can meet him since my car is still under warranty. Wonder if he still can remember what he has done to solve your problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Jsimon,
Although I have 'treated' my car internally for wind noise, might as well I treat the root cause which is the external.

Appreciate if you can let me know the name of the person u have dealt with so that I can meet him since my car is still under warranty. Wonder if he still can remember what he has done to solve your problem.

I bought my car at AB sg. besi. If i go AB Tun Razak for solving problem..do your think they will entertain me??

So after I swapped out my RFT with standard tyres and the road noise is less now.
Obviously the next loud noise would be the wind which became more obvious (I nearly totally forgot about this noise).

I had a closer look at the electric sliding window and noticed that there is vertical large gap between the glass and the rubber track as you wind down/up. I suspect this is the main culprit, creating buffeting wind and letting the noise in. I am looking into inserting some small weather strip to fill in the gap and see how it goes. Anyone has done some DIY job on this?

simonyap;852729 said:
I bought my car at AB sg. besi. If i go AB Tun Razak for solving problem..do your think they will entertain me??

You can go to any BMW authorized dealer for warranty claim.

bhs;851362 said:
Sorry really dunno how to upload the photo in the forum. Not an IT person. Pls suggest alternative.
u can upload your picture at photobucket.com, and copy the IMG link and pasten here.tq

- - - Updated - - -

bhs;851362 said:
u can upload your picture at photobucket.com, and copy the IMG link and pasten here.tq

Eter,
This is what I have mentioned in my earlier post, to be exact, A and B pillar window rubber seals. I did the DIY but it does not look "premium" but is works well. Sorry still dunno how to upload the photos.

Next is the external fender work mentioned by Jsimon. If he can advise the technician's name, I wish to talk to him so that I can advise what to do for the warranty claim from where I bought the car from. I have pointed out the wind prob for warranty claim but they say they have no solutions, full stop.

I believe if this fender and window seals rectified then the basic problem should be solved. The rest are additional modifications like autofoam. Frankly, I have done autofoam but it only make the wind noise more focused. So better find and solve the root cause first.

- - - Updated - - -

Eter,
This is what I have mentioned in my earlier post, to be exact, A and B pillar window rubber seals. I did the DIY but it does not look "premium" but is works well. Sorry still dunno how to upload the photos.

Next is the external fender work mentioned by Jsimon. If he can advise the technician's name, I wish to talk to him so that I can advise what to do for the warranty claim from where I bought the car from. I have pointed out the wind prob for warranty claim but they say they have no solutions, full stop.

I believe if this fender and window seals rectified then the basic problem should be solved. The rest are additional modifications like autofoam. Frankly, I have done autofoam but it only make the wind noise more focused. So better find and solve the root cause first.

jsimon said:
Just to share abt the wind noise which I had on my 320d. I bought the f30 320d ckd sept 2012. The wind noise quite loud when there was no music on. I took it back to my dealer (bmw tun razak) and they asked me to keep the car the for one week. I picked it up a week later and the noise had bee reduced by almost 80%. very good. This is what they did. They sent my car to the bmw body work and the adjusted the car fenders. According to the after sales manager it is a common noise problem for f30 320's in terms of their aerodynamics. They also resealed my front mirror with extra sealent. Been a year since and its riding quietly. I guess those who actually complain abt it may get it rectified. Good thing the after sales manager there was a cool guy, they gave me a e90 for a week when my car was in. :). So this was my solution for my car. If your car is still under warranty you may want to take it back to AB. Hope this helps
Hi @jsimon,

Your solution sounds convincing.

Can you provide the contact person from BMW Tun Razak?

jsimon said:
Just to share abt the wind noise which I had on my 320d. I bought the f30 320d ckd sept 2012. The wind noise quite loud when there was no music on. I took it back to my dealer (bmw tun razak) and they asked me to keep the car the for one week. I picked it up a week later and the noise had bee reduced by almost 80%. very good.

This is what they did. They sent my car to the bmw body work and the adjusted the car fenders. According to the after sales manager it is a common noise problem for f30 320's in terms of their aerodynamics. They also resealed my front mirror with extra sealent.

Been a year since and its riding quietly. I guess those who actually complain abt it may get it rectified. Good thing the after sales manager there was a cool guy, they gave me a e90 for a week when my car was in. :).

So this was my solution for my car. If your car is still under warranty you may want to take it back to AB. Hope this helps
Good advice. Thanks...

jsimon said:
Just to share abt the wind noise which I had on my 320d. I bought the f30 320d ckd sept 2012. The wind noise quite loud when there was no music on. I took it back to my dealer (bmw tun razak) and they asked me to keep the car the for one week. I picked it up a week later and the noise had bee reduced by almost 80%. very good. This is what they did. They sent my car to the bmw body work and the adjusted the car fenders. According to the after sales manager it is a common noise problem for f30 320's in terms of their aerodynamics. They also resealed my front mirror with extra sealent. Been a year since and its riding quietly. I guess those who actually complain abt it may get it rectified. Good thing the after sales manager there was a cool guy, they gave me a e90 for a week when my car was in. :). So this was my solution for my car. If your car is still under warranty you may want to take it back to AB. Hope this helps
Question...the wind noise you had was it a whistling noise of just normal wind noise like any other car would have at high speed just that in the F30 its a little bit more louder?

chgan said:

- - - Updated - - -

Autofoam is a fad. I foamed my car with their top package (i think it was Ultimate).

I spent almost RM2k on it and i dont think the "effect" justifies the price.

are there any improvements in terms of wind noise? very very minimal.

their so called "improved handling" are also bollocks.

Auto foam are utterly bollocks when claims to say it increases rigidity...absolute insult to to motor industry. I am sorry for my strong remarks but i cant think of any better way to express this.

uote name="Prot" post="714392" timestamp="1399867328"]
chgan said:
Hi, Autofoam seems to be an interesting solution to reduce noise, anyone here in the forum tried? Results good? am worried that they have to take out most of your car to do this, refitting imperfectly is also a nightmare...https://www.facebook.com/AutoFoam?ref=stream
Good to get some feedback, I have my F30 recently, noise from tyres and wind louder than my previous B8 A4...- - - Updated - - -
Hi, Autofoam seems to be an interesting solution to reduce noise, anyone here in the forum tried? Results good? am worried that they have to take out most of your car to do this, refitting imperfectly is also a nightmare...https://www.facebook.com/AutoFoam?ref=stream

Autofoam is a fad. I foamed my car with their top package (i think it was Ultimate).

I spent almost RM2k on it and i dont think the "effect" justifies the price.

are there any improvements in terms of wind noise? very very minimal.

their so called "improved handling" are also bollocks.
[/quote]

alantiong said:
Auto foam are utterly bollocks when claims to say it increases rigidity...absolute insult to to motor industry. I am sorry for my strong remarks but i cant think of any better way to express this.

uote name="Prot" post="714392" timestamp="1399867328"]

[/QUOTE]

I find it really funny that people actually believe that foaming will reduce any noise other than to add weight. the foam itself is not a vibration damper, it doesnt block sound (insulator), it doesnt stiffen the chassis (its not even hard) and i realise it first hand.

Top Bottom