Msport: 320d vs 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Schwepps;597895 said:
M3ac, the ETP has Shell building a new diesel processing unit in its PD refinery as one of the EPPs. It could be for Euro4M diesel. If so, look forward to 6-pot BMW diesels with DPFs and less polluted air. :top:

Correct me if I'm wrong. During the cracking process to extract other $$$ lubricant from crude one of the by product is diesel. This unfortunately consist between 50-58% of the total volume per barrel. They actually loose money selling when they sell diesel. As for the refinery I doubt its to simply extract euro 4 diesal. Unknown to many Singapore actually has many humongous oil refinery. We unfortunately have 2 that I know. One is Shell in PD and the other one is Petronas which is about 5 years old in Malacca and that plant has quality issues and id prone to shut down. We actually don;t even process our own crude as our crude is sweet crude which is more $$$. We actually buy Arabs sour crude which is much cheaper.

Maybe Shell is upgrading the refinery to obtain more upstream lubricant cos that's where the $$$$ is. Tot you might like to know a lil about O&G

I am no mechanical engineer but wondering is it technically possible to get rid of the clatter sound??...330d w/o the clatter sound would be the perfect choice.

DKNY;598316 said:
Maybe Shell is upgrading the refinery to obtain more upstream lubricant cos that's where the $$$$ is. Tot you might like to know a lil about O&G

Did you read the EPP list like I did? It says specifically: "New diesel processing unit in Shell PD refinery"

Schwepps;598486 said:
Did you read the EPP list like I did? It says specifically: "New diesel processing unit in Shell PD refinery"
No I didn;t but for a fact I know the bulk of lubricant, oil related product and diesel doesnt come from Malaysia. As a matter of fact its much cheaper in Singapore taking into account they pay SGD $$$ wages, land cost and bla bla and have no oil field. Singapore is still a main alternative source for refined product. If we do manufacture our own oil, I'm sure its not for local consumption. To further strengthen my argument look at google map at PD and look for storage tanks then move over to Singapore to an island called Pulau Ular and look at their storage tank.

But then again we should be talking about BMW instead of O & G. my bad!!

Don't argue lah guys...I know 2 experts in this field...one our very own DieSel! Works in PD with a Oil and Gas company!!! Another my patient's wife who's a fuel engineer with Shell Malaysia (don't play,play-lady engineers now) who's very intimately involved wth the diesel development here in Mlaaysia. i will ask them for both of you all and clear the air.

Exactly, what do you all want to know again? Sorry, blur lah, u know me.

docrayboy;598604 said:
Don't argue lah guys...I know 2 experts in this field...one our very own DieSel! Works in PD with a Oil and Gas company!!! Another my patient's wife who's a fuel engineer with Shell Malaysia (don't play,play-lady engineers now) who's very intimately involved wth the diesel development here in Mlaaysia. i will ask them for both of you all and clear the air.

Exactly, what do you all want to know again? Sorry, blur lah, u know me.

can get cheap diesal for us beemer owners or not

DKNY;598587 said:
No I didn;t but for a fact I know the bulk of lubricant, oil related product and diesel doesnt come from Malaysia. As a matter of fact its much cheaper in Singapore taking into account they pay SGD $$$ wages, land cost and bla bla and have no oil field. Singapore is still a main alternative source for refined product. If we do manufacture our own oil, I'm sure its not for local consumption. To further strengthen my argument look at google map at PD and look for storage tanks then move over to Singapore to an island called Pulau Ular and look at their storage tank.

But then again we should be talking about BMW instead of O & G. my bad!!

Yeah, you're taking this thread OT, and floating some misconceptions which aren't fair to Shell and Petronas.

- Shell's RM1.5b contribution to the ETP is 3 projects: the new diesel unit in PD, expansion of the MDS (waxes) unit in Bintulu, and a deepwater facility in Sabah. Let's hope the new diesel unit is Euro4M capable - then a lot of diesel models will be available to us.
- Shell PD has been producing fuel since it was built 50+ years ago. The last upgrade was in 1999. It produces LPG, petrol, diesel and aviation fuel for local consumption. Only V-Power Racing is imported from Singapore.
- The reason fuel isn't stored in PD is because it's piped to the Klang Valley Distribution Terminal through the Shell-Petronas JV multi-product pipeline which runs from Melaka, through PD, to the KVDT located near Putrajaya.
- There are 4 refineries in Pen Malaysia, including Petronas Kertih and Esso PD (the oldest)
- Petronas Melaka SP2 produces lubricant and chemical feedstock from our own sweet crude. Petronas Chemicals was recently floated, and Petronas owns FL Selenia, a well-known lubricant brand in Europe. A lot of right moves made in the past decade.
- Upstream refers to exploration and extraction activities. Refining and distribution/retail are downstream activities. Lubricants are downstream products and there is no such thing as an upstream product anyway.

Just spoke with Roland Ooi, Director of Quill PJ-he says the Euro 4 plans have been pushed back by the powers-that-be to 2015.

docrayboy;598643 said:
Ha ha!!
Very funny, DKNY!!
Can..but must buy a fishing boat first....

Yeah there is a problem with that too. Firstly I'll never get the cheap diesal cos they always sells it away at commercial prices and I've never seen a BMW powered boat. You'll see many Volvo Hino Isuzu toyota but never BMW powered boat.

DKNY;598939 said:
Yeah there is a problem with that too. Firstly I'll never get the cheap diesal cos they always sells it away at commercial prices and I've never seen a BMW powered boat. You'll see many Volvo Hino Isuzu toyota but never BMW powered boat.

No lah...I was talking about the fishermen who illegally sell off their subsidised diesel, bro!! hee heee....

Schwepps;598660 said:
Yeah, you're taking this thread OT, and floating some misconceptions which aren't fair to Shell and Petronas.

- Shell's RM1.5b contribution to the ETP is 3 projects: the new diesel unit in PD, expansion of the MDS (waxes) unit in Bintulu, and a deepwater facility in Sabah. Let's hope the new diesel unit is Euro4M capable - then a lot of diesel models will be available to us.
- Shell PD has been producing fuel since it was built 50+ years ago. The last upgrade was in 1999. It produces LPG, petrol, diesel and aviation fuel for local consumption. Only V-Power Racing is imported from Singapore.
- The reason fuel isn't stored in PD is because it's piped to the Klang Valley Distribution Terminal through the Shell-Petronas JV multi-product pipeline which runs from Melaka, through PD, to the KVDT located near Putrajaya.
- There are 4 refineries in Pen Malaysia, including Petronas Kertih and Esso PD (the oldest)
- Petronas Melaka SP2 produces lubricant and chemical feedstock from our own sweet crude. Petronas Chemicals was recently floated, and Petronas owns FL Selenia, a well-known lubricant brand in Europe. A lot of right moves made in the past decade.
- Upstream refers to exploration and extraction activities. Refining and distribution/retail are downstream activities. Lubricants are downstream products and there is no such thing as an upstream product anyway.

As usual ... great post bro :top:

TheNemesis;616257 said:
will ask for source once i get my hands on the 320d !

You don't need to...diesel is already cheapert than petrol by 10 sens/litre at our usual pumps. And you get 800km per full tank. You know a lot of fisherman? Where you gonna store all the diesel?

docrayboy;616278 said:
You don't need to...diesel is already cheapert than petrol by 10 sens/litre at our usual pumps. And you get 800km per full tank. You know a lot of fisherman? Where you gonna store all the diesel?

store in a warehouse where all the bmwclubmalaysia 320D user can pump diesel !!

is the 2.0 turbodiesel engine really that rough ? i was looking at the new F10 520d recently at AB....popped the hood and was shocked to see the engine is shaking vigorously !!

mnas;618174 said:
is the 2.0 turbodiesel engine really that rough ? i was looking at the new F10 520d recently at AB....popped the hood and was shocked to see the engine is shaking vigorously !!

The BMW N47 turbodiesel has balancer shafts to reduce the vibration, however it's optimized for higher rpms not idle rpms. Once the rpm climbs higher the engine vibrates much less.

Top Bottom