Msport: 320d vs 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
melvyn;526010 said:
Frankly, I don't understand why BMW came up with the 323i anyways, its the same engine as the 325i and there isn't a market for this car
to create a new segment perhaps...

I guess from how I see it. They should only supply "mild", "spicy" and "extra spicy". The 323i is still mechanically a 325i, why handicap it just for the sake of marketing? Prior to LCI, there was the 325i and 325i ///M.

melvyn;525749 said:
Not superchip per say, its the ACS piggyback. I also reworked my intake and exhaust. K&N RAM air intake and custom cat back exhaust (muffler delete).

The overall power increase is fair, considering the engine displacement, about 30Hp. Off the line pickup is superior to 325i, but I can't manage to keep up with the 325i on the open roads. The top speed is till limited to 228km/h.

The mods make the car more interesting for daily drive, but its not what I'd consider fast.

Other chip mods also don't have much improvement on the top speed, the best I have read is around 235km/h. As long as there is reasonable improvement in acceleration, its worth chipping the car. With the K&N and the exhaust mod, the engine should sound better too :burnout:

jarance;525844 said:
Chill lar, everybody please.

Maybe it would be better to prove all the claims on the track or on some quite road.

DY, your car not allow cos not classify under the same category with 320d and 325i.

Very true bro Jarance, thats the reason i have stopped posting long way before on this thread..still looking for a diesel competitor on right time, right place and right person behind the wheel..then will update the field report..till then all these are still theoritical facts, for me at least..:cool:

zhul;526106 said:
Other chip mods also don't have much improvement on the top speed, the best I have read is around 235km/h. As long as there is reasonable improvement in acceleration, its worth chipping the car. With the K&N and the exhaust mod, the engine should sound better too :burnout:

Its true, and that is what I've been trying to say. If you don't like the diesel noise, mod the intake and exhaust, the engine clanging noise will consequently be muffled. But keep in mind that the muffler delete exhaust is not for everyone, it is loud in indoor car-parks. The intake noise is also a bit loud at the traffic lights, when you lift off the accelerator. They don't make the car sound racer boy loud, but still loud enough to attract some unwanted attention (at times).

Let have a E9X challenge.

320d vs 325i vs 320i (benchmark)

Test.
1. Fuel consumption
2. Quarter Mile Sprint. (who cross the line the fastest - acceleration)
3. Full Mile Sprint (Top speed and acceleration)

ps.. 320d would win the fuel consumption challenge hand down.

curious to see the outcome.
Result:
1. 320d - 1 / 325i - 0

Place: A seclude area.. (will be inform via PM or SMS)
Time: Late night after TT (will be inform via PM or SMS)
Note: Street racing is illegal in Malaysia. This event have nothing to do with BMWCM.

Participant.
320d Group.

325i Group.

320i Group.

Spectator.
1. DY
2. jarance

jarance;526154 said:
Let have a E9X challenge.

320d vs 325i vs 320i (benchmark)

Test.
1. Fuel consumption
2. Quarter Mile Sprint. (who cross the line the fastest - acceleration)
3. Full Mile Sprint (Top speed and acceleration).....

Spectator.
1. DY
2. jarance
3. dzuljazz2001
.............5d3

I prefer Gymkhana style.. I have done it, u all have my time.. now let see u can beat that by how much margin.. :p

Yes, I lost to an E30 318si.. :( I beat the 320i LCI and 325i though, and I think the M5 too :p .. kekekeee. :D :D

astroboy;526194 said:
I prefer Gymkhana style.. I have done it, u all have my time.. now let see u can beat that by how much margin.. :p

Yes, I lost to an E30 318si.. :( I beat the 320i LCI and 325i though, and I think the M5 too :p .. kekekeee. :D :D

Ab, the fact is you lost to a 20 years old - 318is car means it is skill of the driver that play a part in the timing. :rock:

Well.. I see some are putting in facts like 320i being lighter, better weight distribution than the 320d and 325i, but such advantage can't be tested on a sprint test or high speed run on 3 lanes open roads. What is there to test, count how many tiangs the 320i lost ka? Cheh!

astroboy;526216 said:
Well.. I see some are putting in facts like 320i being lighter, better weight distribution than the 320d and 325i, but such advantage can't be tested on a sprint test or high speed run on 3 lanes open roads. What is there to test, count how many tiangs the 320i lost ka? Cheh!

AB, good point.. Please suggest other test to bring out the claims of the 320d.. :rock:

haha... this one must ask our ex-president.. he can design a track that even the old Cooper can makan a Z4M.. :D :D

Did Malaysia ever receive any of those limited edition WTCC 320is a few years back?

Those 7300 RPM inline 4 320i can perform just as well as a 325i, with less weight...

astroboy;526216 said:

A slalom should be able to bring out the best in the 320i ///M. Need the ///M suspension, else unfair as 320d and 325i are all ///M. Just wondering about the power, might be slower as a result of the lower power output.

I still think the 320i ///M has a more composed body roll and a more responsive nose on turn in.

Feel free to correct me.

melvyn;526265 said:
A slalom should be able to bring out the best in the 320i ///M. Need the ///M suspension, else unfair as 320d and 325i are all ///M. Just wondering about the power, might be slower as a result of the lower power output.

I still think the 320i ///M has a more composed body roll and a more responsive nose on turn in.

Feel free to correct me.

I have tested the 320i sport and standard 325 during one of the BMW events at Sarawak. We set up a straight line slalom (7 cones), together with u-turn and roundabout. The 320i sport was consistently faster than the stock 325, so yes the ///M suspension plays a big role in event like this.

Astro, next gymkhana setup will ensure that E39 ///M5 tapau your 320i:thefinger:

We should organize a closed trackday for E90s. All questions will be answered.

Special invitations to Audi A4, C class, Alfa 159s . More question will be answered.

melvyn;526010 said:
Hey, have any of you guy ever attended the BMW Driver Training?

They actually use the 323i as the event training cars. So that must mean the the 323i is the best! Those of us who bought anything other then the 323i, have made a big mistake.

Frankly, I don't understand why BMW came up with the 323i anyways, its the same engine as the 325i and there isn't a market for this car.

320i = C200k = A4 1.8T

325i = C230k = A4 2.0TQ

320d = C220CDi = A4 2.0TDI

323i = ?

I drive the 323i. It's like option in between 325i and 320 I guess. It's more powerful than the 320i but have the interiors of the 325 including iDrive.

the 325i's suspension is harder compared to the 323i, hence the latter is actually more forgiving to your passengers.

And of course, there's the money factor. 323's still cheaper than the 325 :D

Mun;526290 said:
We should organize a closed trackday for E90s. All questions will be answered.

Special invitations to Audi A4, C class, Alfa 159s . More question will be answered.

Mun, you can get the ball rolling?

Know of any free dates?

Know any of the A4, C class and alfa guys that are willing to go to the track just to see whose car is the fastest?:smokin::burnout:

Top Bottom