Msport: 320d vs 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
very quiet here now...don't mention the very hot words...tiga dua kosong kereta guna bukan petrol....

:D I guess after the last episode, I finally realised it's time to get a life. Enjoy your car Ray, it's for sure a good one. :top:

Actually we Malaysian are a patience bunch. Our daily traffic condition provide good daily training sessions, with all the jump queue, road hog, congestion, frequent traffic light stops, slow moving heavy vehicles, road works, detours, pot holes, etc. I have to admit I lose it sometimes..

It is true that Malaysia's road and traffic conditions are really F*** Up, drivers not being aware of their surroundings, jumping queues, changing lanes without indication, poor road quality, etc. But hey, it makes us those who are aware of such cases a better driver. Necessitating us to practice such disciplines as to constantly scan our mirrors, indicating our intentions, and so forth.

Malaysia is still very young and have lots to learn. Maybe in our next life time Malaysia will be better.

I agree that road rage isn't a good practice, but when the conditions are right (no foreseeable animals in the near horizon), we need to let lose, get reacquainted with our cars. Some times, the same excitement can't be replicated on the race track. Having a near death experience can dramatically change a man's outlook on life.

Back on topic.

Has anyone had the luxury to drag a 320d against a 325i?

0 to 100km/h...

400m sprint...

If so, what was the out come?

Based off the dyno results I got from my late 325i (wheel horsepower), the car had a max output of 180Hp (rounding) and 250Nm of torque. Where as my current 320d (wheel horsepower), 170Hp (rounding) and 410Nm of torque.

With those figures, if a real world comparison was to be conducted, I suspect it would be very exciting. Nose to nose, just maybe...

Wanna chip the 320d? 220bhp and 444Nm of torque enough or not? With NO increase in fuel consumption?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/article.php?AID=2773

docrayboy, fuel consumption does increase a fair bit. I lost about 100km on driving range. Might also be my heavy foot. Will give it some time to settle in.

Tempting... but may wait for the 2 year warranty to be over.

Checkout an Indian guy's experience superchipping his 320d. His improvement in the 0-100 time is amazing. I am getting about 8.5s with a full tank.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-highline.html

zhul, this Indian guy is likely to be exaggerating. The max output for the engine is around 210hp, not 220hp, and the 0 to 100km/h time is likely to be around 7.7 sec. I don't think the 320d can out pull the 325i, it only feels fast. Even if he timed himself with a stopwatch, the car's speedo isn't that accurate, 100km/h might be 96km/h. Frankly, I think his claims can be disregarded.

astroboy;521493 said:
Actually watch AV also helps.. :p :D :D

weii...what AV arrr u mean?? must be specific one, nowdays many AVs available. :D :D

btw, i want to buy 3 series laaa....which one is better ar??? 320i or 320d??? i heard the 320i faster than the 320d la.....true ar? my friend tell me one. :vroam:

melvyn;525492 said:
docrayboy, fuel consumption does increase a fair bit. I lost about 100km on driving range. Might also be my heavy foot. Will give it some time to settle in.

zhul, this Indian guy is likely to be exaggerating. The max output for the engine is around 210hp, not 220hp, and the 0 to 100km/h time is likely to be around 7.7 sec. I don't think the 320d can out pull the 325i, it only feels fast. Even if he timed himself with a stopwatch, the car's speedo isn't that accurate, 100km/h might be 96km/h. Frankly, I think his claims can be disregarded.

Hi Melvyn, are you already using Superchips?

I think the Indian guy is quoting the Superchips marketing info on the chipped hp level. I agree with you on the 0-100 km/h number seems to be too optimistic - as good as a 325d :13:

ramsing;525566 said:
weii...what AV arrr u mean?? must be specific one, nowdays many AVs available. :D :D

btw, i want to buy 3 series laaa....which one is better ar??? 320i or 320d??? i heard the 320i faster than the 320d la.....true ar? my friend tell me one. :vroam:

320d faster vroam...

melvyn;525492 said:

u chipped your 320d Melvyn?

no nid to argue here n argue there...

the new 2011 Audi TT is the best car among the 3...

lol.... funny to see ppl who can afford to own a Beemer 'debating' like a school kids here...

docrayboy;525101 said:
very quiet here now...don't mention the very hot words...tiga dua kosong kereta guna bukan petrol....

man... u really like to flame the forum to keep the forum 'alive'....

astroboy;525372 said:
Haha.. my-wife-is-prettier-than-yours episode.. :p

I'm not sure if my wife is prettier than yours, but I'm pretty sure my mistress is prettier than yours.. :)

ramsing;525566 said:

lol.... I think u r inviting another flaming session in this thread...

Hi Melvyn, are you already using Superchips?

I think the Indian guy is quoting the Superchips marketing info on the chipped hp level. I agree with you on the 0-100 km/h number seems to be too optimistic - as good as a 325d

Not superchip per say, its the ACS piggyback. I also reworked my intake and exhaust. K&N RAM air intake and custom cat back exhaust (muffler delete).

The overall power increase is fair, considering the engine displacement, about 30Hp. Off the line pickup is superior to 325i, but I can't manage to keep up with the 325i on the open roads. The top speed is till limited to 228km/h.

The mods make the car more interesting for daily drive, but its not what I'd consider fast.

btw, i want to buy 3 series laaa....which one is better ar??? 320i or 320d??? i heard the 320i faster than the 320d la.....true ar? my friend tell me one

Based on stock models, the answer is NO. 320d is faster off the mark. But if you supercharge the 320i, I suspect the 320i will be a bit faster as it has less weight and similar output.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200674

Because of the 320i's design and weight, I believe if more power was added, it would be a more rewarding car to drive then the 325i. The nose is a lot more responsive, unlike the 320d which feels nose heavy on fast sweeps.

melvyn;525760 said:
Based on stock models, the answer is NO. 320d is faster off the mark. But if you supercharge the 320i, I suspect the 320i will be a bit faster as it has less weight and similar output.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200674

Because of the 320i's design and weight, I believe if more power was added, it would be a more rewarding car to drive then the 325i. The nose is a lot more responsive, unlike the 320d which feels nose heavy on fast sweeps.

had driven the 320 sport for 5 days, i can attest to your claim than the 320i sport is more fun to drive than the 325 (in term of agility) ...felt nimble ...plus the slightly thicker rubber give some cushion on rough road here in kl without compromising the handling. had the 320i be fitted with the turbocharged..it will be the best packaged car with good handling and powerful pickup.

Top Bottom