Msport: 320d vs 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I think the next M3 & M5 will be turbo charged!! The thing about production NA, it has almost reached the limit of like 120 bhp per litre. More hp, more cc. With turbocharged, one can reduced the weight and play with the mapping, turbine technology and other variables. Modern standard production turbos are fine, even for high speed driving. But there's always temptation to tune bcos it is so easy to tune. I see a lot of these, esp modified import japanese being driven slow, even on highways. Not sure why, but i think the car is no longer practical with those monstrous hp figure. and consumption of going into boost is ridiculous. I used to drive vtec, and it was happy hours all day, all night.

With turbocharged, we just have to try to resist the temptation. Maybe another 20% extra won't hurt.... and another, and another.... well, power corrupts anyway. its never enough!

Schwepps;520456 said:
Oh oh, I woke the Supergripen! :eek: I hereby correct my statement: Turbos will run out of breath in the higher revs...unless they're Evos, STIs and similar road-legal racers. :D
Hey, remember that I've played with an STI before too, bro. I know what it can do. We dyno-ed our 4-pot boxer and it came out an amazing 280bhp!

I agree that turbos are the future Super...that's the way the industry is headed.

My ver8 dynoed at 324whp on the standard VF37 twinscroll snail.Had an APS CAI with custom downpipe,an HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust system and Kelford 278/272 cams.The thing pulls all the way to 8500rpms,behaves like a VTEC on steroids.All the mods were optimised and boost kept rock solid by an ECUTEK remap coupled with a Perrin EBCS(Electronic Boost Control System).Miss her deeply:(

Mun,u're right..power corrupts.Seasoned boost junkies like me tho,we know when to stop.Most of us learnt it the hard way tho heheehe..
That's why I'm threading carefully with my 335i.In standard form,the car is as reliable as any other BMW,and runs long distances at high speeds without any issues.just ask DY and the others..even with the 320d,I don't think they have issues with high speed runs.

325i vs 320d? ermmm..can I have both???:3:

supergripen;520523 said:
My ver8 dynoed at 324whp on the standard VF37 twinscroll snail.Had an APS CAI with custom downpipe,an HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust system and Kelford 278/272 cams.The thing pulls all the way to 8500rpms,behaves like a VTEC on steroids.All the mods were optimised and boost kept rock solid by an ECUTEK remap coupled with a Perrin EBCS(Electronic Boost Control System).Miss her deeply:(

Confirmed. All Scooby fans are alike and don't speak english like normal people! You're as crazy as the guy who started my group back then. Last I heard, he's still going GohTongJaya jaunting with supercars. :D

Schwepps;520525 said:
Confirmed. All Scooby fans are alike and don't speak english like normal people! You're as crazy as the guy who started my group back then. Last I heard, he's still going GohTongJaya jaunting with supercars. :D

Hehehe...we get that a lot,even on trackdays.We would wear the same Subaru WRC blue and yellow shirts and would greet one another as if we knew the person even if we don't.
Crazy bunch..but nice peeps.

astroboy;520472 said:
yey! :rock: I have the above as my daily driver.. last night had a satisfying weave on NKVE having vehicles travelling at 60kph, 80kph, 100kph hogging all 3 lanes and I was on 120kph (4k rpm).. no more than a feet of error margin, sweeping in and out of all 3 lanes, dig in, get the job done and get out as docrayboy puts it.. total satisfaction! Even a 320i is overkill in such situation.. :D :D

Surgical strikes...get in...take the baddies out with head-shots...get out...all within 30seconds...:wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
yey! I have the above as my daily driver.. last night had a satisfying weave on NKVE having vehicles travelling at 60kph, 80kph, 100kph hogging all 3 lanes and I was on 120kph (4k rpm).. no more than a feet of error margin, sweeping in and out of all 3 lanes, dig in, get the job done and get out as docrayboy puts it.. total satisfaction! Even a 320i is overkill in such situation..

Surgical strikes...get in...take the baddies out with head-shots...get out...all within 30seconds...

But sometimes we get naughty and it can be dangerous.. thinking we can tuck in and tuck out of every opening between traffic....then it becomes dangerous! I know-happens to me all the time! Ha ha!

Schwepps;520456 said:
Oh oh, I woke the Supergripen! :eek: I hereby correct my statement: Turbos will run out of breath in the higher revs...unless they're Evos, STIs and similar road-legal racers. :D
Hey, remember that I've played with an STI before too, bro. I know what it can do. We dyno-ed our 4-pot boxer and it came out an amazing 280bhp!

I agree that turbos are the future Super...that's the way the industry is headed.

aahh.. i remember my trips down to SG in my ver8 sti.. maintaining 200+kmh was at 6k+ rpm.. no issues on the higher revs..
ive sat on a 320d and i think u might feel the kick if ur not used to turbocharged cars.. but having gone thru sti and evos with more than 300whp.. my current 6potter does it for me nowadays.. probably signs of aging :burnout:

lude;520583 said:
aahh.. i remember my trips down to SG in my ver8 sti.. maintaining 200+kmh was at 6k+ rpm.. no issues on the higher revs..
ive sat on a 320d and i think u might feel the kick if ur not used to turbocharged cars.. but having gone thru sti and evos with more than 300whp.. my current 6potter does it for me nowadays.. probably signs of aging :burnout:

A fellow Scooby owner:five:

Days of raw throttle and steering response,loud exhausts and aggressive ride is mostly behind me already,tho I still crave the speed but without the rawness.

Would be nice to have one again as a trackcar huh?? I know I do:wink:

docrayboy;520533 said:
But sometimes we get naughty and it can be dangerous.. thinking we can tuck in and tuck out of every opening between traffic....then it becomes dangerous! I know-happens to me all the time! Ha ha!

True.. First u do it with few feet of error margin, after a while, I want more and now I'm treading with inches in between, I get high beems, horns and sometime even fingers after certain maneuvers. What is enough?! Sometime I ask myself.. or was I just lucky.. and luck may run out one day.. :rolleyes:

Even taking corner for instance, I keep taking it faster and faster until I hear tyre screeching.. so addictive.. :smokin:

astroboy;520786 said:
True.. First u do it with few feet of error margin, after a while, I want more and now I'm treading with inches in between, I get high beems, horns and sometime even fingers after certain maneuvers. What is enough?! Sometime I ask myself.. or was I just lucky.. and luck may run out one day.. :rolleyes:

Even taking corner for instance, I keep taking it faster and faster until I hear tyre screeching.. so addictive.. :smokin:

Let's go to the track la AB. Tom HPC come and ride with me.:)

Sometime I wonder if its me that want to drive fast? or is it the road hoggers pissed me off? or am I addicted to weaving.. another problem I have is I like to brush by other vehicle closely. I last heard XXX has the same syndrome.. :eek: and his is worst, he likes squeezing vehicles off the road.. :eek:

Maybe I should talk to a psychiatrist.. :p :D :D

I can save you the money AB. :) It's a manifestation of stress. We all have stress in one form or another, but different ways of dealing with it. Smoking, alcohol and aggressive driving are some of the most common outlets. Getting into a car and closing the door makes one feel in control and infallible, and that de-stresses. But it's one of the most dangerous and costly outlets. The cure will come when one finally has a prang or meets up with a road bully, and one has to spend time and money dealing with it. A young man I know was a serial motorbike weaver...until he had a crash and spent almost a year healing in UH. Now, he's the most cautious road user, but he'll have a limp for the rest of his life.

Before something like that happens, we can find another outlet. Exercise is always one of the best ways: join a gym, take up a racket sport, learn martial arts, etc. Take out the stress in a physical way.

astroboy;520786 said:

Not on public roads AB...please:104: Well,at least not on busy roads with plenty of cars.

Like u said,ur luck might run out,u might take out a family with small kids with u.Think about it bro...

Schwepps;520839 said:
.. Smoking, alcohol and aggressive driving are some of the most common outlets. ...

Oh no! I've got all 3! :eek: Actually we Malaysian are a patience bunch. Our daily traffic condition provide good daily training sessions, with all the jump queue, road hog, congestion, frequent traffic light stops, slow moving heavy vehicles, road works, detours, pot holes, etc. I have to admit I lose it sometimes.. :smokin:

The best part is I do most the rempits in a VVTi that has no airbags and ABS.. :eek: :stupid:

Anyway, we are all out of topic. Such topic more appropriate in my other "confession" thread.. :p

Thanks for the advice folks.. will try to take it easy more often. :wink:

You have a 4th...going OT. But you're committee, so I'm safe. :D

Understanding the problem helps you deal with it. You're 'normal' AB, we ALL have stress and our bodies crave 'feel good' chemicals. Nicotine, alcohol and adrenalin (from aggressive driving) are feel good chemicals. Substitute them with endorphins (from exercise) the safest one. Racket sports also give a shot of adrenalin. And the other health benefits of exercise are obvious.

You're not a road bully, that's a different anger management issue caused by severe stress, depression or some other mental problem. Those people need psychiatric help and medication such as Prozac or Zoloft. As Supergripen says, don't take out someone's family, your own family, a motorcyclist. Or inflame a road bully with an iron rod in his boot. :wink:

astroboy;520829 said:
Sometime I wonder if its me that want to drive fast? or is it the road hoggers pissed me off? or am I addicted to weaving.. another problem I have is I like to brush by other vehicle closely. I last heard XXX has the same syndrome.. :eek: and his is worst, he likes squeezing vehicles off the road.. :eek:

Maybe I should talk to a psychiatrist.. :p :D :D

One of the ways of letting of pressure is to get a video game console. You can act out your fantasy roles in video games and either play aggressively or for best scores without causing real world damage.

If you have PS3, get the Need for Speed Shift. It mimics real life racing with arcade style action. They have very good modeling of BMW cars in the game. My favorite is the M3 e92 which is simply awesome to hear and drive :top:

Mun;520146 said:
Had a stint a couple of days ago with a scirocco - 2 ltr turbocharge on the Plus Hway
Got a 'line clear message' from a buddy from Ipoh to KL. Traffic is light after lunch.

Was cruising 180-190kmh mostly until I passed a black scirocco on the middle lane near slim river.
Looked over my rear view mirror - no action. So I keep minding my own business and speed with occasional glance over the rear view.

Less than 5 minutes later i saw small blipping HID about slightly more than half kilo. So I poked the stick to DS.
It could very well be the VW!

Next glance, it was a getting closer, and closer. that car must be doing at least 200kmh. So I poked the stick to M4

It was finally on my tail as i reached traffic and when traffic cleared i floored. Cannot give a little bit of chance!

It was a long straight just after Tg Malim interchange, I was touching 220 and my fav fast corner is appearing fast. This scirocco will eat me, definitely. I wasn't giving any chances and hold the throttle thru the first right sweep.

I didnt looked back on the first right sweep as I have to concentrate on the line as the first one is tighter from the second. It was almost 190 mid corner of the second left sweep and I saw a gap.

Not a big gap, but still a significant gap to motivate.

A couple more sweep coming up and I'm not giving any chances and focus straight on and didn't looked back.

When the straights returned, the VW was way back. NOt sure what happened ;

2 things on my mind ; either he quit during the fast corners or the turbo charged engine just couldn't stand the high speed chase over long period.
Mind you, all my six cylinders was revving very close to red line most of the time. Can surely do that on NA engine.

So the rest of the journey, I was having thoughts about turbocharged engine whether it can handle prolonged highspeed and rev.

I had some thought on the C250 two months ago and A4 quattro last week. Also had some thought on the 3.0 ltr stroker, hehehe... that would be nice ;-)

or maybe the VW simply decided not to eat me :( . It was fast!!

the scirocco is a 2 digits registration which is same as yours, rite?

Top Bottom