stop comparing apple to an orange :burnout:

why???

coz
0-200km/hr

325i = 27s
320d = 42s +

not same class...sorry!!!

Haha, its indeed, apple and orange..

We don't live in a drag strip where u get to do full pedal for 27s. Full pedal for 5s and see who faster la.. :p :D

Try load up the car with 5 grown ups and time the dash again.. I'm sure the gap is much closer if not turn table.. :p

Its about "usable" power here.. considering many traffic light stops along the way, an occasion hogger decided to jump into your lane and anxious is talking about 95% use on Penang roads.. not many stretch that u can stick your rpm into the red which is needed for the 325i to achieve the above result.

Very different characteristic I would say..

LCI 325i with 218hp on GM box (long rev range).. compare to the old ZF (closer range).. I wonder how the GM box is less sluggish than the ZF box? OEM Sprint Booster? :eek:

Havent found any "D" competitor yet but will keep an eye and update the field report if im lucky or if he is lucky hehe:rolleyes:...but then you all will say it also depends on the driver and yada yada:smokin:....cabutzzzzzzzz:burnout:

achtung;518909 said:
stop comparing apple to an orange :burnout:

why???

coz
0-200km/hr

325i = 27s
320d = 42s +

not same class...sorry!!!

Hi,

I tested both cars and i think the 0-200km/h numbers are much closer than shown above. 325i is faster from dead stop but the 320d is much faster from 40 km/h onwards. Its so easy to get to 200 km/h on 320d. I still think 325i quicker but not by much.

astroboy;518977 said:
Haha, its indeed, apple and orange..

We don't live in a drag strip where u get to do full pedal for 27s. Full pedal for 5s and see who faster la.. :p :D

Try load up the car with 5 grown ups and time the dash again.. I'm sure the gap is much closer if not turn table.. :p

Its about "usable" power here.. considering many traffic light stops along the way, an occasion hogger decided to jump into your lane and anxious is talking about 95% use on Penang roads.. not many stretch that u can stick your rpm into the red which is needed for the 325i to achieve the above result.

Very different characteristic I would say..

LCI 325i with 218hp on GM box (long rev range).. compare to the old ZF (closer range).. I wonder how the GM box is less sluggish than the ZF box? OEM Sprint Booster? :eek:

Going for the F10 launch this Friday, astroboy? if yes, we should meet up! Can you e mail me your hp number to docrayboy@yahoo.com

Great!

zhul;519009 said:
Hi,

I tested both cars and i think the 0-200km/h numbers are much closer than shown above. 325i is faster from dead stop but the 320d is much faster from 40 km/h onwards. Its so easy to get to 200 km/h on 320d. I still think 325i quicker but not by much.

from this video.... close to 40s. 325 bout 24s . the 320d struggles once past 160km/hr

good for u if u can do it faster:cool:

[video=youtube;dNll57abyCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNll57abyCw[/video]
[video=youtube;HKE_wlFohLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKE_wlFohLY[/video]

achtung;519194 said:
from this video.... close to 40s. 325 bout 24s . the 320d struggles once past 160km/hr

good for u if u can do it faster:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNll57abyCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKE_wlFohLY

Yeah the 320d in the video linked above is slow, going from 0-100 km/h in 10 sec on an empty tank! Could be the 163hp version.

I found a link for 320d with 177 hp with full tank and it takes about 31 sec to reach 200km/h.
Car is raced from zero at 5 sec in the video. :vroam:

[video=youtube;-Xy3Y4JAT9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xy3Y4JAT9M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xy3Y4JAT9M[/video]

agree with u bro.actually the torque that counts to ensure u reach the chequered flag first and finally it is up to the 'jockey' to make all horses alive esp during critical high speed cornering.:rock:

Based on the above videos

From 100 - 160km/h the 325 takes about 8secs and 320d taking around 10secs
I dont have to say much from 160km/h and above since i can visually see the D is slower..so how come some says the D is quicker?? Emotion overtakes the facts??

nazli;519251 said:
agree with u bro.actually the torque that counts to ensure u reach the chequered flag first and finally it is up to the 'jockey' to make all horses alive esp during critical high speed cornering.:rock:

We all should meet up Naz! Going for the f10 launch this Friday?:wink:

VKS;519253 said:

I dont have to say much from 160km/h and above since i can visually see the D is slower..so how come some says the D is quicker?? Emotion overtakes the facts??

Seat of the pants butt dyno.. the feeling of being pushed along by a big dollop of torque sure as hell beats flogging a normally aspirated high revving engine up the RPM range.That's why these 320d drivers are so adamant that their cars are faster.It's the feel that they get from all that torque..
That's not to say that the 325i's N52 is a slouch,far from it in fact.I get equal pleasure in pushing the N52..super smooth super revvy goodness.The 325i is indeed quicker than the 320d,no question about it.

Different ways of delivering speed.. I love both.If only we can combine both.But hey!! I do have both,N54 rules!!

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, super. I've driven a few diesels in my time, and it's the torque that gives the rush. Push come to shove, the petrols are actually faster over a distance. But there's too much focus on straight-line speed anyway. All it takes is power and pushing the foot to the floor - anyone can do that. The real test of a car and driver, and the balls of both, is in the cornering speeds isn't it? :)

Schwepps;519526 said:
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, super. I've driven a few diesels in my time, and it's the torque that gives the rush. Push come to shove, the petrols are actually faster over a distance. But there's too much focus on straight-line speed anyway. All it takes is power and pushing the foot to the floor - anyone can do that. The real test of a car and driver, and the balls of both, is in the cornering speeds isn't it? :)

Yes indeedy! The reason why I always revert to BMWs:rock:

Methinks very hard for a Bimmer to beat an Impreza STI in cornering. I was a part owner of one for a time.

Schwepps;519537 said:
Methinks very hard for a Bimmer to beat an Impreza STI in cornering. I was a part owner of one for a time.

Yup,except for that one case..hehe:wink:

It would've been nice to be able to keep the Scoob,but it wasn't to be.Still have a soft spot for Scoobies,I still wear my STi t-shirts from time to time.Might still get one again when I have the means..

VKS;519253 said:

Nope, its quickness is a fact. You just need to find the right one :rolleyes:

320d kicks the 325i in the 80 to 120km/h acceleration in 4th/5th gear. That performance gives the 320d more useful power for city and highway driving. Overtaking is a breeze and without needing the drama of pushing the tacho up in the sky, which can be tiring after some time. :43:

This is what makes the 320d feel faster and more satisfying than the 325i for some. And it converted many to diesel power :wink:

http://www.bmw.ba/hr_dl/ba_en/newvehicles/3series/sedan/2008/_shared/pdf/3series_sedan_datasheet.pdf

I like the way zhul said...Overtaking is a breeze and without needing the drama of pushing the tacho up in the sky, which can be tiring after some time. [/B]!!

Makes the 325i sound like a drama queen...the 320d digs in and gets the job done...time after time!

had a nice run with a modded late-model Evo this morning. Nice torque... it is effortless the only thing is the noise. It really reminds me of the East Coast taxis :)

Anyhow, I could not adjust the side bolster support on the sport seats. The button is on the right front side for the driver's seat, right guys? Nothing happened. Same thing with the front passenger seat. Can anyone help?

The 320d with the BMW Performance Power Kit gets 390Nm of torque which is almost M3 level torque (M3 has 400Nm). If only the 320d sedan (with iDrive) had been available when I asked about it 3 years back... I would have gotten it right away. In the end, had to take the 325i Sport, as it was the cheapest iDrive-equipped model back then. Anyway, I am happy enough with it.

affan66;519661 said:
had a nice run with a modded late-model Evo this morning. Nice torque... it is effortless the only thing is the noise. It really reminds me of the East Coast taxis :)

Anyhow, I could not adjust the side bolster support on the sport seats. The button is on the right front side for the driver's seat, right guys? Nothing happened. Same thing with the front passenger seat. Can anyone help?

You may not be wide, but maybe the previous passenger was narrower... :D

Top Bottom