F30 320i versus VW GTI Mk6

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
yes, 2 years warranty for battery.

my previous passat cc battery died on me and i called VW road assist ( 5 years road assist), and VW towed my car to their service centre, change batt and OBD scan before they release my car. FOC!

the road assist really impressed me. imagine if u kena anything say Genting highland. who can help? u can call here and there to seek help. for VW, call them, a tow truck will be on the way for u.

i know this BMW forum. but lets be objective. BMW is not the best manufacturer in this world. there bounds to be some fans of BMW trying all means to defend BMW. but i think, do allow some other manufacturer's fans to provide their views as well mah.

splee;797202 said:
Unlike BMW BSRI, VW warranty does not include engine oil and other consumables like air filter, oil filter, brake pads, battery, etc.

The main question is what the value of 3yrs BSRI with 2yrs warranty vs 5 yrs unlimited mileage warranty with 3 free services/parts/labor at 15k/30k/45k?

Brompton,

Go for cayman...forget the sedan practicality.. if toying is the intent...

jan999;797210 said:

my previous passat cc battery died on me and i called VW road assist ( 5 years road assist), and VW towed my car to their service centre, change batt and OBD scan before they release my car. FOC!

the road assist really impressed me. imagine if u kena anything say Genting highland. who can help? u can call here and there to seek help. for VW, call them, a tow truck will be on the way for u.

i know this BMW forum. but lets be objective. BMW is not the best manufacturer in this world. there bounds to be some fans of BMW trying all means to defend BMW. but i think, do allow some other manufacturer's fans to provide their views as well mah.
+1. A very fair comment!

ahloong2;797212 said:
BMW does have the towing service available, but I am not sure it is free or not…….
Dunno abt BMW, ........ but, almost all insurance companies provide limited road side assist & towing services, during the tenure of car insurance policy.

jan999;797210 said:

..i believe that BMW is not best thing exist on 4 wheels, especially newer models..personally I believe BMW losing its ground slowly, and just by browsing other international BMW forums, such feeling gets even more real..BMW here, has one of the worse official service/maintenance service i have seen...having said that, its reasonable to expect that other car makers doing their job better, and in this case it seems VW doing it just fine...so, its okay..no hard feelings ma..its just a car anyway ;)

gamenoob;797211 said:
The main question is what the value of 3yrs BSRI with 2yrs warranty vs 5 yrs unlimited mileage warranty with 3 free services/parts/labor at 15k/30k/45k?

Brompton,

Go for cayman...forget the sedan practicality.. if toying is the intent...

Thanks, that's why Cayman top my list of consideration!:wink:

Ecc0;797215 said:
..i believe that BMW is not best thing exist on 4 wheels, especially newer models..personally I believe BMW losing its ground slowly, and just by browsing other international BMW forums, such feeling gets even more real..BMW here, has one of the worse official service/maintenance service i have seen...having said that, its reasonable to expect that other car makers doing their job better, and in this case it seems VW doing it just fine...so, its okay..no hard feelings ma..its just a car anyway ;)
You are spot on.

I had read some where in the UK or US report, BMW had became one of the most unreliable conti cars, esp the 335i convertible, the notorious one.

brompton;797216 said:
Thanks, that's why Cayman top my list of consideration!:wink:

Come on la bro, Cayman and the F30 is totally different league (model and price). Cannot be compared apple with apple. If you are looking to buy a Cayman, then your alternatives may be some other cars and not a F30 (just my thought).

brompton;797201 said:
Already been playing with it for the last 1 month, thank you. A lot better than the Mk 2 which I used to have over 25 years ago. Will be giving it to my son, when he starts his college year in a couple of months time :wink: Now, still toying with the idea of whether to get a Cayman, M5 or SL!

See links below:

http://www.volkswagen.com.my/en/sales---service/exclusive-programmes/5-year-warranty-programme.html

http://www.volkswagen.com.my/en/sales---service/exclusive-programmes/5-year-mobility-guarantee.html

Excluding those wear & tear items, which I think is fairly reasonable.

if you want class. go for SL
if you want practicality. go for M5
if you want to classified as having mid-life crisis. get the cayman. (sorry!)

I am drving 320i for now and it is perfectly ok for me to know that GTI WK6 or any other cars are faster and better cars. There are just too many cars to choose from and chosing criteria, budget and buying decision also can get haywired at time. But there is always another time for another car...still not done with BMW yet...perhaps one day....who knows myself here may also venture into VW in future :)

Just to add in as a former VW owner, the 5 years warranty, note that 2 years comes from Volkswagen Group Malaysia and the remaining 3 years is from an insurance company.

Warranty claim procedure -> SA checks the car, must have fault detected using their scanners (3rd party not allowed such as VAGCOM), submit claim to VGM and then wait for parts to arrive. Certain parts fairly easy to pass through but other parts such as internals have proven to be very very very difficult to claim unless you are indeed good friends with the dealers or have connections at VGM. Usual suspects for warranty claim include batteries, mechatronic unit, coil packs, spark plugs.

brompton;797172 said:
Been thru' the thread, concluded that:
(1). Golf GTI can easily tapau 320i in term of handling & performance; But, obviously, a stock version is no where near the 328i & above
(2). VW 5 years warranty & road assist is better than BMW 2 years
(3). Residual value of used Golf GTI is better than 320i or any other BMW
(4). Addition: Mk 6 Golf GTI currently the most successful Golf version, can easily knock off the legendary Mk 2 from being an icon in VW & hot hatch history; 320i is no where near that status in BMW or sport sedan history!

So, the verdict is clear!
Really? The Mk2 is the icon? I always thought the Mk1 was the icon because it set the standard for fast hot hatches!

charcoal;797224 said:
I am drving 320i for now and it is perfectly ok for me to know that GTI WK6 or any other cars are faster and better cars. There are just too many cars to choose from and chosing criteria, budget and buying decision also can get haywired at time. But there is always another time for another car...still not done with BMW yet...perhaps one day....who knows myself here may also venture into VW in future :)

corect.

just like during E90 era. for 320i, less than 160hp. it even slower than some of the Japs 2.0 sedan. but all owners will say, sheer driving pleasure is everything.

Horsepower not my priority to determine a car is good or not. if want big horses with low price tag, go get a nissan AD resort and put in a RB26DETT. total less than 20k. that one consider best car? no mah.

charcoal;797224 said:
Bugatti? hehehehehe

Mavik;797226 said:
Really? The Mk2 is the icon? I always thought the Mk1 was the icon because it set the standard for fast hot hatches!

My understanding was Mk1 defined the hot hatch "revolution", but, it's the Mk2 that set Golf GTI as the hot hatch icon.

jennypenny;797222 said:
if you want class. go for SL
if you want practicality. go for M5
if you want to classified as having mid-life crisis. get the cayman. (sorry!)

Dont mind being labelled as having mid-life crisis ......... just like menopause, which is the norm in any perfectly healthy individual :wink:

brompton;797237 said:
My understanding was Mk1 defined the hot hatch "revolution", but, it's the Mk2 that set Golf GTI as the hot hatch icon.

Yes mk2 it is. Then vw screw it up with mk3....getting porky n all....

Are we off topic?

brompton;797239 said:
Dont mind being labelled as having mid-life crisis ......... just like menopause, which is the norm in any perfectly healthy individual :wink:

probably the first person i know that think image is just an illusion to life.

good job dude.

Top Bottom