F30 320i versus VW GTI Mk6

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
VKS;776490 said:
Well for RM168 per year i get almost the best free tow service and road assist.. Basically i spend only for fuel for the first 3 years with BSRI and that itself a huge difference. These German rides wont give much problems for the first 5 years la unless we track it every week or get a lemon..so bmw's package is still unbeatable compare to its class.. (heard porsche giving out 3 yrs free service too)

Back to topic..Gti is a fast ride but why dont we compare with Evo X 4 pot Turbo? Or its sibling 4 pot Turbo Golf R? Different sizes of snails and engine management units can do wonders nowadays and thats what BMW did on F30 320 and 328

Bimmers are always about everyday and all kind of ppls car..

It's not a rarity for BMW to start giving problems below 5 years. Hehehe ... Can we throw in the Subaru Impreza WRX STi? 310 hP, 0-100 in 4.7 s. fun la!

tIANcI;776527 said:
It's not a rarity for BMW to start giving problems below 5 years. Hehehe ... Can we throw in the Subaru Impreza WRX STi? 310 hP, 0-100 in 4.7 s. fun la!

Fun! fun! But even Focus ST or Megane RS oredi enuf to tapao GTi.. no need to overkill la.. :4:

_M_;776531 said:
Fun! fun! But even Focus ST or Megane RS oredi enuf to tapao GTi.. no need to overkill la.. :4:

Megane and FocusST 250 hP beasts mah ... Pity the GTi a bit. Hahaha ...

tIANcI;776526 said:
BSRI is not free. For my e90, 3 year BSRI is cheaper than 5 years. Also, please note I am talking about WARRANTY as BMW's such as the e90 has proven itself in giving you a fun time after the 3 year 60k period. We seen enough here. How much to replace ABS failure? Only 12k? My diff is a replacement, less than 5k already whining again. 2 diffs in 15k. Imagine if it's outside their miserable 2 years warranty. Surely cry la.
I can understand your predicament bro .... however if it does happen to me (God Willing it will not) ... I will do whats necassary BUT I will surely not cry :4: .....

dzuljazz2001;776448 said:
With all due respect bro, I believe you are very much mis-informed :4: ...

Previously the BSRI is 3 yrs or 60K km (whichever comes first). If I am not mistaken, now its 2 yrs unlimited km.

Yes its 2 yrs vs 5 yrs but the VW only gives your the 3 free services but you still have to pay for wear and tear parts. After the 3 free services, each time you go for your maintenance, you will have to pay for the oil, filters and wht not. The 5 yrs warranty does not include all those wear and tear parts.

BMW warranty covers everything except for your rubber :top: ... see the difference between the 3 an 5 yrs warranty? ..:4:

mr prez i think its 2 year warranty with 3 year BSRI.
BMW
2 year warranty on car parts ( everything except rubber ) and BSRI for tear and wear parts and labour . eg brake pad , disc rotor, wiper , all the oil , filter blah blah which are NOT cheap.

other brand 2 / 5 year are only on warranty of parts , but labour have to pay , oil filter all from own pocket, i saw an R8 go for 1st service the bill RM 4K++ , i got a shock !

not sure this is whitecard privileges or BMW insurance, when one of our friend car got problem in middle of no where , call bmw voice within short while the BMW appointed tow truck come ( std is carrier truck, since all are rear wheel drive ).
its free just fill in a form and you can choose which service center to send to. no issue there .

even my other brand car come with this service free.

the only way i give this + Point to bmw or any other brand is if car breakdown tow truck come , a courtesy car is awaiting you . thats what i call service.

jan999;776461 said:
VW road assist is free for 5 years. imagine your battery kong or tire punctured in Genting Highland. give them a call, a tow truck will be on the way for you FREE.

i encoutered myself, battery kong at home. call them, within 1 hour, they send a carrier truck. if you are wearing an expensive rims, tell them a carrier truck instead of tow truck, it can be done. after that, changed my batt for free (batt warranty for 2 years), OBD check and then car back to me. all in like 3 hours time. i paid ZERO for it. imagine if u need a tow truck on Genting highland, i pretty sure u will kena slaugtered gao gao by the tow car fellow.

also, VW not necesarity give 3 time free service depends on situation. i got 1 foc service only.

to me warranty duration is more important than the free service. so called 3 years freee service meaning only 4 services. for BMW, after 2 yaers, i pray hard that car no issue. to repair costs involved. the pain and the down time for the car repair then the real painful part.

Merc's also give courtesy cars. and they have 4 years warranty.

i remember when my dad sent his merc in, we were given an B class.

my old E90 had to change the hydraulics system. RM19k. in 2009

charcoal;776440 said:
anyone has compared driving E90 320i Vs F30 320i? Curious to know too.. thanks
Yes I drove both these cars recently, the E90 320i was a courtesy car which I had for two weeks and the F30 320i which I test drove it over a day. In terms of power, I can say the F30 320i feels a lot nice thanks to it's turbo, car isn't as sluggish as the E90 320i due to the NA engine. Comfort wise, both the same, non M-sport so the seats were not the bucket type, steering wheel was the normal one. Only thing was that the F30 320i iDrive screen was only 6.5" compared to the E90 320i which I drove which had a 10" screen.

the big difference is when you compare the 325i and the 328i.

325i comes with M sport suspension. really good around corners. and the steering is hydraulics.

i'm feel so proud to hear it despite i'm not become a beemer yet..hehehehe
Wuk51;774894 said:
so many GTI owner here la....sorry la bro...with moded GTI and straight lane mybe superb...but in reality when u drove small car is it save inside?hmmmm...last time played with my fren own a new MK6 at mex hgwy...his top speed was 250kmh me also at the same speed...but my 320d launch more faster...no wasting on spinning and also he potong me already 230kmh then we tag along smpi la putra jaya...he cannot tapau me since he already tekan habis....me still got somemore pedal to tekan but i wont dare...my balls only there...but not fare la since i m on mode vector but he only stock MK6 but honestly he told me that he felt his car not stable when rich 240kmh...hmmm...so our BmW is still the best la in term of handling and performance if moded...sekian...

Been thru' the thread, concluded that:
(1). Golf GTI can easily tapau 320i in term of handling & performance; But, obviously, a stock version is no where near the 328i & above
(2). VW 5 years warranty & road assist is better than BMW 2 years
(3). Residual value of used Golf GTI is better than 320i or any other BMW
(4). Addition: Mk 6 Golf GTI currently the most successful Golf version, can easily knock off the legendary Mk 2 from being an icon in VW & hot hatch history; 320i is no where near that status in BMW or sport sedan history!

So, the verdict is clear!

Just out of curiousity, wht does the 5 yrs warranty gives? Is it all inclusive (unlimited milage) except your rubber?...

@brompton
If you purchase gti, i believe you will not regret it. It is nice and very durable vehicle (i have seen golf 2 diesel, running on power station transformer cooling oil, during war). It is a good choice. Good luck and have a plenty of safe km's.

jennypenny;797186 said:
congrats. please go buy a GTI.

Already been playing with it for the last 1 month, thank you. A lot better than the Mk 2 which I used to have over 25 years ago. Will be giving it to my son, when he starts his college year in a couple of months time :wink: Now, still toying with the idea of whether to get a Cayman, M5 or SL!

dzuljazz2001;797192 said:
Just out of curiousity, wht does the 5 yrs warranty gives? Is it all inclusive (unlimited milage) except your rubber?...

See links below:

http://www.volkswagen.com.my/en/sales---service/exclusive-programmes/5-year-warranty-programme.html

http://www.volkswagen.com.my/en/sales---service/exclusive-programmes/5-year-mobility-guarantee.html

Excluding those wear & tear items, which I think is fairly reasonable.

dzuljazz2001;797192 said:

Unlike BMW BSRI, VW warranty does not include engine oil and other consumables like air filter, oil filter, brake pads, battery, etc.

splee;797202 said:
Unlike BMW BSRI, VW warranty does not include engine oil and other consumables like air filter, oil filter, brake pads, battery, etc.
Surprise ........ 2 years warranty for battery ......... I am puzzled too!

Ecc0;797200 said:
@brompton
If you purchase gti, i believe you will not regret it. It is nice and very durable vehicle (i have seen golf 2 diesel, running on power station transformer cooling oil, during war). It is a good choice. Good luck and have a plenty of safe km's.

You are absolutely right. Despite what other forumers had voiced, it's an exceptional satisfying handling car & can get in & out of slow corner easily!

I knew it's a very enjoyable, durable, reliable & fairly economical ride, since I did own one in the UK over 20 years ago! It's also very safe with exceptionally strong B pillar, which had saved my life from moderate speed side impact by a delinguent Capri driver in a heavily foggy morning! That's after playing it for a few months, I am going to give it to my son:wink:

Top Bottom