F30 320i versus VW GTI Mk6

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Juan Powerblow;776038 said:
From "experience", the 320i don't stand a chance la. I say this coz even though the 328i is faster, it's pretty close. Yet again, my 328's engine still very tight, still less than 3,000 kms

What is the true average break in period/km's for the engine?

Based on specs comparison, GTI has better speed and acceleration, that's a fact. So, if we wish to have a head to head comparison I think it cannot be just based on speed criteria alone. If speed is what defines the car then sport models should be much desired purchase. Unfortunately it is not the case. When I decided on 320i, I knew that other models can run faster. Prior to that I was mulling over recond. Audi TT, Z4, etc which can also beat VW GTI if put on the track. I also considering a merc. but cancelled my booking (still trying to get my refund even after 2 months...darn). Finally I had decided on 320i. Why F30 320i? Well, you have your own good reasons why you have selected the models that you are currently having; and they are all good reasons. For me, it is partly budget, sense of value for money, brand name, latest model (not facelift), 320i perhaps has better resale value imho, etc. So if next time a VW guy or fairlady or audi r8, skyline GTR, etc. wish to race me on plus highway, I would just let them pass. I am happy to enjoy the drive and stick to 120 km/hr.

arulkl;776042 said:
What is the true average break in period/km's for the engine?

Most of my experience relates to the 6 pots which takes 10,000 kms for it to feel optimal. My only experience with forced induction direct injection is my RCZ, which now at 8,000 kms has been feeling better and better. Funnily, coz it's feeling better all the time, not just in terms of smoothness and acceleration but also sound, I'm willing to bet that for the F30 it's 10,000 kms too.

Juan ... 10k - 15k region seems about right. FC stabilise, engine feels free too.

10-15k km...wow. still long way to go for me - still under 1000km as it's not my daily driver at the moment.

charcoal;776043 said:
Based on specs comparison, GTI has better speed and acceleration, that's a fact. So, if we wish to have a head to head comparison I think it cannot be just based on speed criteria alone. If speed is what defines the car then sport models should be much desired purchase. Unfortunately it is not the case. When I decided on 320i, I knew that other models can run faster. Prior to that I was mulling over recond. Audi TT, Z4, etc which can also beat VW GTI if put on the track. I also considering a merc. but cancelled my booking (still trying to get my refund even after 2 months...darn). Finally I had decided on 320i. Why F30 320i? Well, you have your own good reasons why you have selected the models that you are currently having; and they are all good reasons. For me, it is partly budget, sense of value for money, brand name, latest model (not facelift), 320i perhaps has better resale value imho, etc. So if next time a VW guy or fairlady or audi r8, skyline GTR, etc. wish to race me on plus highway, I would just let them pass. I am happy to enjoy the drive and stick to 120 km/hr.

agreed, also, maintenance cost for the 320i will be much cheaper than the GTI in the long run.

also, GTIs are being recalled by Volkswagen worldwide for their gearboxes.

jennypenny;776278 said:
agreed, also, maintenance cost for the 320i will be much cheaper than the GTI in the long run.

also, GTIs are being recalled by Volkswagen worldwide for their gearboxes.

GTi got 5 years warranty. BMW F30 already started with steering issues. e90 already seen expensive failures after 50k-70k mileage. I very much doubt that the GTi is more expensive to maintain.

tIANcI;776331 said:
GTi got 5 years warranty. BMW F30 already started with steering issues. e90 already seen expensive failures after 50k-70k mileage. I very much doubt that the GTi is more expensive to maintain.

my cousin has a GTI. Ask him, if he will get another GTI. i dare you. hahaha.

his gearbox, his EDL and his squeeks. 5 years warranty yes, but 5 years of torment.

jennypenny;776339 said:
my cousin has a GTI. Ask him, if he will get another GTI. i dare you. hahaha.

his gearbox, his EDL and his squeeks. 5 years warranty yes, but 5 years of torment.

We are pointing at probs faced by others but not looking at those faced by our own. Does not work that way la. Hehehe ..

i thought we were talking about the maintenance costs? no?

anyway. we shouldnt compare both these cars. they are in different categories and they are built for different purposes.

GTI: fun car, quick and good for small families.
320i: big car, good for medium families, large boot and comfortable ride.

i think a comparison between a 320i is better against the C200 merc.

jennypenny;776372 said:
i thought we were talking about the maintenance costs? no?

anyway. we shouldnt compare both these cars. they are in different categories and they are built for different purposes.

GTI: fun car, quick and good for small families.
320i: big car, good for medium families, large boot and comfortable ride.

i think a comparison between a 320i is better against the C200 merc.

Maintenance wise, GTi will take hands down with it's 5 year warranty and looking at BMW's track record with a mere 2 year warranty.

As for this thread, it's started out like this:

Hi, just curious if anyone have compared the F30 320i versus VW GTI Mk6 in terms of performance and personal driving handling, not the size or exterior or price.

Having driven a stock GTi a few times, I will say handling in terms of the car being sure footed, my e90 M Sport is much more confident but then again it's an M Sport. So the comparison may not technically be fair. The E90 320i handling for me is no where near the GTi. But the GTi performance is better with its turbo. Need to test the F30 to see what it's like compared with the GTi.

tIANcI;776388 said:
Maintenance wise, GTi will take hands down with it's 5 year warranty and looking at BMW's track record with a mere 2 year warranty.

As for this thread, it's started out like this:

Hi, just curious if anyone have compared the F30 320i versus VW GTI Mk6 in terms of performance and personal driving handling, not the size or exterior or price.

Having driven a stock GTi a few times, I will say handling in terms of the car being sure footed, my e90 M Sport is much more confident but then again it's an M Sport. So the comparison may not technically be fair. The E90 320i handling for me is no where near the GTi. But the GTi performance is better with its turbo. Need to test the F30 to see what it's like compared with the GTi.

ah, i got lost along the thread! yes, my old e90 m sport was much much better in terms of handling. that department, i totally agree with you.

i drove the GTI for a week before, its a dramatic car, in terms of acceleration. but its not THAT fast. the noise is nice though.

With all due respect bro, I believe you are very much mis-informed :4: ...

Previously the BSRI is 3 yrs or 60K km (whichever comes first). If I am not mistaken, now its 2 yrs unlimited km.

Yes its 2 yrs vs 5 yrs but the VW only gives your the 3 free services but you still have to pay for wear and tear parts. After the 3 free services, each time you go for your maintenance, you will have to pay for the oil, filters and wht not. The 5 yrs warranty does not include all those wear and tear parts.

BMW warranty covers everything except for your rubber :top: ... see the difference between the 3 an 5 yrs warranty? ..:4:

tIANcI;776388 said:

fabianyee;776447 said:
Search or start a new thread.

Thanks. Just realised that F30 320i is too new in Malaysia, I guess it is likely no one has compared. NVM, I will search in you-tube instead :)

VW road assist is free for 5 years. imagine your battery kong or tire punctured in Genting Highland. give them a call, a tow truck will be on the way for you FREE.

i encoutered myself, battery kong at home. call them, within 1 hour, they send a carrier truck. if you are wearing an expensive rims, tell them a carrier truck instead of tow truck, it can be done. after that, changed my batt for free (batt warranty for 2 years), OBD check and then car back to me. all in like 3 hours time. i paid ZERO for it. imagine if u need a tow truck on Genting highland, i pretty sure u will kena slaugtered gao gao by the tow car fellow.

also, VW not necesarity give 3 time free service depends on situation. i got 1 foc service only.

to me warranty duration is more important than the free service. so called 3 years freee service meaning only 4 services. for BMW, after 2 yaers, i pray hard that car no issue. to repair costs involved. the pain and the down time for the car repair then the real painful part.

Well for RM168 per year i get almost the best free tow service and road assist.. Basically i spend only for fuel for the first 3 years with BSRI and that itself a huge difference. These German rides wont give much problems for the first 5 years la unless we track it every week or get a lemon..so bmw's package is still unbeatable compare to its class.. (heard porsche giving out 3 yrs free service too)

Back to topic..Gti is a fast ride but why dont we compare with Evo X 4 pot Turbo? Or its sibling 4 pot Turbo Golf R? Different sizes of snails and engine management units can do wonders nowadays and thats what BMW did on F30 320 and 328

Bimmers are always about everyday and all kind of ppls car..

dzuljazz2001;776448 said:
With all due respect bro, I believe you are very much mis-informed :4: ...

Previously the BSRI is 3 yrs or 60K km (whichever comes first). If I am not mistaken, now its 2 yrs unlimited km.

Yes its 2 yrs vs 5 yrs but the VW only gives your the 3 free services but you still have to pay for wear and tear parts. After the 3 free services, each time you go for your maintenance, you will have to pay for the oil, filters and wht not. The 5 yrs warranty does not include all those wear and tear parts.

BMW warranty covers everything except for your rubber :top: ... see the difference between the 3 an 5 yrs warranty? ..:4:

BSRI is not free. For my e90, 3 year BSRI is cheaper than 5 years. Also, please note I am talking about WARRANTY as BMW's such as the e90 has proven itself in giving you a fun time after the 3 year 60k period. We seen enough here. How much to replace ABS failure? Only 12k? My diff is a replacement, less than 5k already whining again. 2 diffs in 15k. Imagine if it's outside their miserable 2 years warranty. Surely cry la.

Top Bottom