Engine oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Just to double check with fellow sifu here on Engine Oil.

I went to M1 segambut last week for servicing. they charged me 7 bottles of Shell fully synthetic AB. and each bottle is RM 88. That means that they charged me RM616 for the Engine oil. When i asked them why so expensive, they told me that Shell fully synthetic AB can last for 25,000 km without servicing, same as Auto Bavaria.

Can someone tell me if i kena con liao?

Thanks.

so it sums to be almost the same or more expensive as changing any fully syn oil at 10K intervals..

what the heck..

Erest;382225 said:
Just to double check with fellow sifu here on Engine Oil.

I went to M1 segambut last week for servicing. they charged me 7 bottles of Shell fully synthetic AB. and each bottle is RM 88. That means that they charged me RM616 for the Engine oil. When i asked them why so expensive, they told me that Shell fully synthetic AB can last for 25,000 km without servicing, same as Auto Bavaria.

Can someone tell me if i kena con liao?

Thanks.

Bro, what is the viscosity of the Shell Fully Synthetic AB oil??? Including oil filter and workmanship... how much in total that you pay to M1??? As far as I concern, the cost to change engine oil alone varies from RM500-700.. of course the highest being serviced in AB, Sapura or even Ingress.

I don't know about you, but it seems that a lot of members + forumers here recommend us to change the engine oil at 10000-12000km. My 10000km is almost up now and I am wondering if I should go and change or wait longer... sigh!

thule;382186 said:
well, I couldn't agree more with what keeekeee said... my headlights do have fog once it rains... I don't know why but it will disappear after a while... what is the problem???

But then... my E60 Japan spec has no problem with the engine oil so far... been running for about 10k now... lucky me!!! I guess E60MSport is right... there's problem with CKD cars instead of CBU... which leads to the conclusion that our Malaysian assembly standard sucks man!!! :top:

How can we say Malaysia Boleh at this point??? :D

the fog appear when the humidity & temperature of the air changes drastically comparing to the headlights internal. All headlights has breather hole and it is not sealed completely for the purpose of cooling, pressure balance and etc...in engineering it is a compromise of all phenomena to achieve the optimum performance of the engineered products...in malaysia we have at one point 33 celcius and when rain we have another condition where the temp drops to 25 celcius drastically...so the humid air inside the headlights that is slower to adapt to the changes is condensed thus u find the fine water droplets on the headlights...

for engine oil please check which grade u r using...if xW-40 then most likely u will not have the engine oil 'missing' issue...only if u are on the xW-30 then maybe u will have this issue as the oil is 'thinner' than the xW-40 oils...

would you care to elaborate how does the CKD ones is lesser than the CBU? if u are refering to the engines, it is not assembled here but in Germany and shipped completely assembled to malaysia...

t2ribena;382422 said:
the fog appear when the humidity & temperature of the air changes drastically comparing to the headlights internal. All headlights has breather hole and it is not sealed completely for the purpose of cooling, pressure balance and etc...in engineering it is a compromise of all phenomena to achieve the optimum performance of the engineered products...in malaysia we have at one point 33 celcius and when rain we have another condition where the temp drops to 25 celcius drastically...so the humid air inside the headlights that is slower to adapt to the changes is condensed thus u find the fine water droplets on the headlights...

for engine oil please check which grade u r using...if xW-40 then most likely u will not have the engine oil 'missing' issue...only if u are on the xW-30 then maybe u will have this issue as the oil is 'thinner' than the xW-40 oils...

would you care to elaborate how does the CKD ones is lesser than the CBU? if u are refering to the engines, it is not assembled here but in Germany and shipped completely assembled to malaysia...

bro,
I've been reading this thread ever since I was about to purchase the E60... I had highlighted this problem to the sales exec before getting this car... since they only provide 1 month warranty for the engine and transmission.
From page 1 until the recent ones... all I noticed was the cars bought from AB were brought back to replace the whole engine block (upper)... correct me if I'm wrong. But I never seem to read anyone buying Japan spec E60 facing this problem... including mine. and YES! I'm referring to the engines that are facing the engine oil top-up problems only...
Regarding engine oil to use... I have no idea on which viscosity to use, as I am about to change the engine oil for the first time since getting my car. I'm not sure whether to go for 5W-40 or 10W-40...

with the xW-40 engine oil grade then u will not see this problem in most cases...and also based on my experience the engine feels heavy...

BMW Malaysia is filling the cars locally as per BMW AG recommendation with the 5W-30...this oil grade is 'thinner' as the N52 engine are a close tolerance engine...

unless u guys with those CBU unit uses this oil grade then please do not say that the CKD's unit has got problems comparing to the CBUs...with the 'thinner' oil, engine oil dissapearing is something acceptable if it is within the specified limits...

try it and then comment...

E60MSport;382548 said:
My engine is currently running on Castrol Edge Sport 5W-40.

this oil is only certified up to the BMW LL-98 grade and not LL-01 or 04...for M54 engines i think still applies kua...but not sure....

t2ribena;382562 said:
this oil is only certified up to the BMW LL-98 grade and not LL-01 or 04...for M54 engines i think still applies kua...but not sure....
I think M54 requires LL-01.

t2ribena;382559 said:
with the xW-40 engine oil grade then u will not see this problem in most cases...and also based on my experience the engine feels heavy...

BMW Malaysia is filling the cars locally as per BMW AG recommendation with the 5W-30...this oil grade is 'thinner' as the N52 engine are a close tolerance engine...

unless u guys with those CBU unit uses this oil grade then please do not say that the CKD's unit has got problems comparing to the CBUs...with the 'thinner' oil, engine oil dissapearing is something acceptable if it is within the specified limits...

try it and then comment...

Bro..
I'm not knowledgeable in any technical stuff with Engine or anything related... it seems that my earlier words have offended you. I'll retract my words again... sorry ok??

im not offended in any manner...

i am only merely trying to make a point that to judge on something then both must be of same specs and conditions...then only fair...

t2ribena;382588 said:
im not offended in any manner...

i am only merely trying to make a point that to judge on something then both must be of same specs and conditions...then only fair...

Words of a learned man..... know's the apples and the oranges.

If you want testimony of the robustness of the CKD E60 525-er, talk to this tribena brother. He has lanyak his beautiful ride more than once and all in ship shape.

If CKD's are no up to expectations, BMW would not have used the assembly plant here. Only difference mainly is less use of robotic welding and painting. The rest, same-same. Seen it to believe it.

wc9922;382594 said:
If you want testimony of the robustness of the CKD E60 525-er, talk to this tribena brother. He has lanyak his beautiful ride more than once and all in ship shape.

bro wc...where got lanyak...:wink:

ship shape....hahahaha:top:

davidtch;382566 said:
I think M54 requires LL-01.

just checked the TIS and for M54, BMW recommends the LL-04 and LL-01. But LL-04 is only recommended for countries where fuel quality is good. So for Malaysia where fuel quality is unknownm, then this left the LL-01 fuel grade suitable for this engine nia...

for N52 - LL-04, LL-01 and LL-01FE...

can anyone recommend the best engine oil to use for 4yr old supercharged M54B30 engine & why? i'm currently using MOBIL 10W50 & noticed higher load of engine cooling fan (possibly due to higher engine temperature) compared to when i was on TOTAL 10W50. i change my oil every 5-8k km depending on the opacity of the oil which i check frequently...

ess530i;384427 said:
can anyone recommend the best engine oil to use for 4yr old supercharged M54B30 engine & why? i'm currently using MOBIL 10W50 & noticed higher load of engine cooling fan (possibly due to higher engine temperature) compared to when i was on TOTAL 10W50. i change my oil every 5-8k km depending on the opacity of the oil which i check frequently...

use Castrol Edge Sport 10W/60 :top: plus it's LL-01 and mobil1 10W/50 is not :D

t2ribena;383368 said:
just checked the TIS and for M54, BMW recommends the LL-04 and LL-01. But LL-04 is only recommended for countries where fuel quality is good. So for Malaysia where fuel quality is unknownm, then this left the LL-01 fuel grade suitable for this engine nia...

for N52 - LL-04, LL-01 and LL-01FE...

Why do u say our fuel quality is unknown when RON97 is considered very good compared to countries like d USA where d premium is RON92 or RON94 if i'm not mistaken?

B33mEr;384433 said:
Why do u say our fuel quality is unknown when RON97 is considered very good compared to countries like d USA where d premium is RON92 or RON94 if i'm not mistaken?

fuel octane level does not directly reflect the quality of the fuel...it is merely the parameter for the fuel's self-ignition point at certain combustion condition...

the fuel quality parameter that I was mentioning is the level of sulfur content...if the sulfur content is significantly high in the fuel this would compromise the special grade BMW LL-04 operating performance especially for spark iginition engine and diesel engine with particle filter...this is why BMW does not recommend the use of this oil in countries that have low fuel quality which normally has a very high sulfur content...

for eg. take our diesel for example the MS standard calls for minimum of 3000ppm of sulfer contents and comparing to let say EURO4 requirement the allowed sulfur contents in fuel is 50ppm...thats a huge difference...while some brands of fuel do offer fuel that is compliant to EURO2 but with a standard that is currrently in use which allows such huge tolerance then this can be summarize as fuel quality unknown...

ess530i;384427 said:

IMHO...for force induction engine, the oil has to be changed frequently regardless of the oil brand or grade...on my bro satria GTI with turbo he changed it every 3000km as it starts overheating from then on...

if think it is mainly due to the stock cooling system that is design to work with the original setup and with the force induction which of course on one hand gives tonnes of power but generates also tonnes of heat...this puts the cooling system working harder or on the limit. so when the engine oil after some time changes its heat transport properties which was suppose to help transport heat away from the source this would put further load on the water cooling system...

so for short term solution is to change the oil at shorter interval or upgrade the cooling system for long term solution...
icon10.gif

Top Bottom