Why is the 520d so cheap? with almost the 523i specs. BMW Malaysia...an explaination?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

SaabBMW7443

Club Guest
Except for the missing Integrated Active Steering and clattering noise pollution for the people outside the car....... the F10 520d and 523i basically have the same basic specs including the four zone climate control, just my personal opinion and from observations, so, why is it much cheaper than the 523i?1. much much cheaper because of the old engines used both in the "3" series diesel and X1d. so you'll be driving a new F10 with an old 3 series diesel engine. also for the entry level X1, which is overpriced with interior that is just full of storage compartment, bare trimmings, right till where the usually idrive is supposed to be, just an empty drawer.2. its for people who wants to own a new 5 series no matter what. so, BMW had to strategize their marketing to their benefits just to bring up the sales of the F10. Come on, an extra 30k over an X1d for a full brand new F10 5 series, but diesel la....which would you go for?3. or maybe those of us who got the 523i's, 528i's and 535i (not the recond grey imports, thats a different issue) just paid way too much in order to make the 520d more affordable to the rest who really just wants an F10 that is affordable.Anyway, im sorry if my statement offended some of you guys here on the forum, but what im pointing out is basically how BMW Malaysia seem to work. And its not at all that their sales and after sales service is first class. Far from it. Long way to go, just need to look down south to improve as i send my previous E60 and the Saab93 only to singapore for service. but my 528i still have to sent to AB la, what to do eh? :p

bro, when comparing the 523 and 520, i believe it's mainly due to the tax structures on the vehicles.
the effective tax (import + excise) on a 1800-1999cc vs 2000-2499cc passenger vehicle is approx 157% vs 172% of the vehicle CIF (cost, insurance, freight). effective taxes grow to 193% for engines above 2.5 litres

the X's? i agree, they're overpriced lah...the X3 with nav osts the same as the 523!
damned fun to drive, though. get into the X1 and take it for a spin and you'll know what i mean.

Maniac;642395 said:
bro, when comparing the 523 and 520, i believe it's mainly due to the tax structures on the vehicles.
the effective tax (import + excise) on a 1800-1999cc vs 2000-2499cc passenger vehicle is approx 157% vs 172% of the vehicle CIF (cost, insurance, freight). effective taxes grow to 193% for engines above 2.5 litres

the X's? i agree, they're overpriced lah...the X3 with nav osts the same as the 523!
damned fun to drive, though. get into the X1 and take it for a spin and you'll know what i mean.

thanks for clarifying about the tax structure matter. but end of the day its upto BMW malaysia to decide on the nett selling prices of their vehicles. remember not too long ago when they introduced the E60 520d? and how expensive it was, well now the F10 520d has become the entry level model and much cheaper that the E60 520d. to keep up with the premium image, especially for the 5's, BMW malaysia should not lower the prices of their cars, just in order to capture more of the market. now, it seems like anyone can own an F10, i mean.... before the 520d, the min price for the F10 is in the high RM300k, now it starts from the low RM300k.

yes, i agree. there are more diesel cars in europe thats for sure. any model for any range of car is sure to a few diesel versions. but then....... their diesel quality is way better and cars there arent being super taxed by the gomen.

SaabBMW7443;642416 said:
thanks for clarifying about the tax structure matter. but end of the day its upto BMW malaysia to decide on the nett selling prices of their vehicles. remember not too long ago when they introduced the E60 520d? and how expensive it was, well now the F10 520d has become the entry level model and much cheaper that the E60 520d. to keep up with the premium image, especially for the 5's, BMW malaysia should not lower the prices of their cars, just in order to capture more of the market. now, it seems like anyone can own an F10, i mean.... before the 520d, the min price for the F10 is in the high RM300k, now it starts from the low RM300k.

You sound like an elitist lol ... If BMW Malaysia can lower the price of entry their entry level price more power to the people.

B33mEr;642419 said:
You sound like an elitist lol ... If BMW Malaysia can lower the price of entry their entry level price more power to the people.

what im trying to point out basically is how BMW malaysia prices their cars as to their benefit to boost sales of certain model, ( and soon will be the pre-reg's Again! ) anyhow, i guess having BMW malaysia is way better than when it used to be just AutoBavaria.

All people who own BMW must be a bit elitist in the first place, let's face it. Otherwise they would own Toyotas and Hondas. At least our friend also have Saab in his nickname, which mean he's also a bit unconventional type. :)

Sorry .... out of curiosity

"the F10 520d and 523i basically have the same basic specs including the four zone climate control"

Is both of them identical ...? Guidance pls ....

Just to correct you... there's no four zone climate control on the 520d. Only dual zone in front. The rear has blowers, but no controls, instead you get a small storage area.

i wouldn't call a RM300K+ car cheap although i appreciate that that is relative. the F10 looks nice and perhaps the price will entice more to consider and we'll get to see more of them on the road.

I think it's only in Malaysia with the funky tax structure that makes BMW so elitist. It's really no big deal owning one and I really see heaps of F10s on the road these days...

meetoo;642439 said:
All people who own BMW must be a bit elitist in the first place, let's face it. Otherwise they would own Toyotas and Hondas. At least our friend also have Saab in his nickname, which mean he's also a bit unconventional type. :)

Agree at some point... But what so wrong with lowering the price.. If people want to be so elitist, then BMW range of cars is the wrong place. Bently, Jaguar is more like it.. Personally, if money is not an issue, I still won't buy those cars, at least for now. I'm driving BMW because it's A BMW. I rest my case!

well im not complaining....prolly a business motive to convert into efficient dynamics-ism

cheap? its almost rm345k on the road... i would say its GOOD BUY.. Initially wanted to get C250/S60 T5/A4 2.0TFSI... then i told myself why not add 40k to get a bigger car and one class ahead :) hahaha.. anyway not regret buying this car .. still enjoying the turbo surge and the comfort of 5er... some noisy engine sound but turn on the player kautim :))

entry level = the lowest range within the model marketed.
A honda accord = 2.0
A E90 = 320i
A F10 = 520d
A posh = boxster??
and I don't have the money for any of the above

As maniac pointed out. tax structure lah....which is good for us because engines are getting smaller and power and torque are going higher these days with twin turbo technology....:-D!

Lefthanded;642590 said:
Agree at some point... But what so wrong with lowering the price.. If people want to be so elitist, then BMW range of cars is the wrong place. Bently, Jaguar is more like it.. Personally, if money is not an issue, I still won't buy those cars, at least for now. I'm driving BMW because it's A BMW. I rest my

I saw in Bangkok Airport the F01s were being used as taxi limos...

Top Bottom