SMG Share thread

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
afazlee;621018 said:
opps sorry bout that bro, guess i was off tangent there. will do, tq sir

When you're back in M'sia do let us know. We can have tt and talk everything about bmw's and smg :4:

anyone know where can i find halfcut smg driveshaft? new one is causing rm2.2k! i need to change mine. went through all the balancing replace coupling.. but still cannot.

clavenk;621842 said:
anyone know where can i find halfcut smg driveshaft? new one is causing rm2.2k! i need to change mine. went through all the balancing replace coupling.. but still cannot.

btw, smg drive shaft is different than the normal e46 325i. now only i realise.

bro honestly, 2k for a new one is reasonable...

e36 chop shop/used long shaft also in >1K range ...

sachseelan;621882 said:
bro honestly, 2k for a new one is reasonable...

e36 chop shop/used long shaft also in >1K range ...

i will try to check chop shop see how much, trying to save more on my juddering problem. alot more to fix so have to save save save..

clavenk;621950 said:
i will try to check chop shop see how much, trying to save more FOR my juddering problem. alot more to fix so have to save save save..

i mean for my SMG problem..

So i went to M-Scope with a friend (oso SMG owner) for a visit and a chat with the boss Mr. Tan Ah Hwong. Friendly guy and he is very knowledgeable about gearbox but when it comes to SMG or SMGII/III it can be a pain when diagnosing the hydraulic system he admits. The one that needs watching is the actuator and the pressure regulator according to him. He has replaced one whole hydraulic system on a 325i SMG gearbox. So he definitely have the experience and know how for our SMG. Below are the pics of the old SMG system he replaced on the 325i.

23032011395.jpg

23032011394.jpg

If any of you guys going to M-Scope or any other workshop that can do SMG system pls do share your findings :top:

On friday early morning when i drove off going to work in KL... to my horror i can't shift to 4th gear!!!! Thank god for traffic jam LOL as the traffic speed was bumper to bumper. Make a few phone calls and decided to take my car to BM World cause they have done a few SMG (///M and non-m) So after inspecting the under carriage they found out that my clutch actuator was leaking .... Which doesn't surprises me really as i have been driving hard and fast every single day since two years ago when i had the actuator replaced.

Brought the car to BM World on Sat morning and by 6 pm car was ready to be collected. They had cleaned the actuator and replaced the o-ring with a new one. Cost is RM600 and warranty only for 1 month. Expensive indeed but replacing it with a new actuator will cost me RM4k (tho with 2 year warranty from AB). So we will see how long the new seal will last. Will post pics of the actuator innards later.

B33mEr;623379 said:
On friday early morning when i drove off going to work in KL... to my horror i can't shift to 4th gear!!!! Thank god for traffic jam LOL as the traffic speed was bumper to bumper. Make a few phone calls and decided to take my car to BM World cause they have done a few SMG (///M and non-m) So after inspecting the under carriage they found out that my clutch actuator was leaking .... Which doesn't surprises me really as i have been driving hard and fast every single day since two years ago when i had the actuator replaced.

Brought the car to BM World on Sat morning and by 6 pm car was ready to be collected. They had cleaned the actuator and replaced the o-ring with a new one. Cost is RM600 and warranty only for 1 month. Expensive indeed but replacing it with a new actuator will cost me RM4k (tho with 2 year warranty from AB). So we will see how long the new seal will last. Will post pics of the actuator innards later.

i heard from an old smg owner said they are very good with smg... but i dunno where is it. B33mer can tell where is there place.. i wanna go diagnose my juddering also..

clavenk;623471 said:
i heard from an old smg owner said they are very good with smg... but i dunno where is it. B33mer can tell where is there place.. i wanna go diagnose my juddering also..

is it in desa tun razak? I heard the charge quite pricy..

clavenk;623471 said:

clavenk;623474 said:
is it in desa tun razak? I heard the charge quite pricy..

clavenk;623478 said:
There is another one now called auto deutsch.. in pandan desa.

What to do bro ... if you wanna play you gotta pay! Well no doubt he is quite pricey but all i can say that some of the sifu here goes to him anything related to Force Induction, SMG, engine rebuilt, custom fabrication and etc... Besides he's the only that i know of that have done the seal actuator replacement on a regular basis (APD in glenmarie have done once or twice but still bought the seal from him). His workshop is in Desa Tun Razak. You can call him at 012-220 6387.

I really hope the replacement seal can last for a year at least.

this time die
long shaft need wait 2 months, if 2.2k.
by air 3.2k. yeah clap hand.
and i couldnt find any halfcut shaft available in KL.
Please let me know if you found one suit 325i SMG/ 328i manual shaft.

clavenk;624059 said:
this time die
long shaft need wait 2 months, if 2.2k.
by air 3.2k. yeah clap hand.
and i couldnt find any halfcut shaft available in KL.
Please let me know if you found one suit 325i SMG/ 328i manual shaft.

Try calling ATSB (www.atsb.com.my) if i'm not mistaken they have the long shaft.

B33mEr;624147 said:
Do update us on the findings

Called the guy will get back to me by end of the day. Hopefully good news. Else dunno where else to find edi. I called many halfcut also dun have it.

clavenk;624217 said:
Called the guy will get back to me by end of the day. Hopefully good news. Else dunno where else to find edi. I called many halfcut also dun have it.

call them yesterday night, they tell me cannot find yet, will call me this morning until now still havent call me. So i guess they dun have it. Where else i can find???? sad. rm2.2k waiting for bmw to bring in need 2 months. 3.2k air freight need 1 month. I heard a lot ppl say long shaft cannot be fixed. Anyone know place to fix long shaft?

Hi guys....

Its a great effort to have a SMG Discussion thread...kudos

Hope i can chime in as well..

I bought an M3 E46 last year. Before that my ride is the alfa 156 selespeed; ownin it for 5 years now roughly. So i'm quite regular with the AMT. So I told myself, SMG shudnt be a problem. LOL...

So it happen when i sent my car last week for replacing the Rear trailing Arm bush, front Control arm Bush, subframe bush and few other bushes. While we were there, i can see that there's a little oil residue on the joint of my gearbox..thinking of it might be the gearbox oil seal, decided to do it once and for all..

To my surprise, the leak seems to come from the Output cylinder/slave cylinder (Part Number : 21522229841). The leak causes the oil to seep in the casing where the clutch and the flywheel sit. So went to check the clutch oil reservoir (the foreman said) and indeed, the clutch oil is way too low..and its nearly time for the clutch..and recommendable to change the flywheel as well..owh my..

Not sure if the foreman get the part number right, but he told me its gonna cost like RM9k to change it. I still remember the previous owner did change the whole hydraulic unit at Sapura in 2009 for nearly RM10k. The actuator shud last more than that; i think so. So went back and check if the part is correct, the part failing is this part..

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...tion=Genuine BMW Part: Output Cylinder,Clutch

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=21_0174&hg=21&fg=10

Its item no. 9.

If its really RM9k, i'm really fark up...LOL..

mail

But it does look like the parts that bro Beemer said in the first few pages. and now i'm like hmmmm....

Honestly, there isnt a problem at all with the system. No juddering, No gear slip to Neutral, No gear miss slip from 1st to 3rd or from 2nd to 4th gear, the gear never stuck at one particular gear, no problem with reversing, no blinking whatsoever at the instrument cluster. Its just purely a simple bushing job, turn out to be a clutch, flywheel and a slave cylinder job.

Oh my, gonna get some sleep...

Will update you guys 2moro...

Top Bottom