Smg

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I suggest you don't do this until there is really a problem. If you have jerking or gear shift problems, try to reprogram/reset the gearbox ECU first.

You may also want to look at option of changing gearbox oil - even if it says long life. This depends on individual owner preference.

Riezal-R;417366 said:
I suggest you don't do this until there is really a problem. If you have jerking or gear shift problems, try to reprogram/reset the gearbox ECU first.

You may also want to look at option of changing gearbox oil - even if it says long life. This depends on individual owner preference.

Ok, I will take your words. Got the car yesterday, earlier than I thought. Despite the problems reported in the forum around the world, I still keep my decision to get this car. Few minutes driving the car back to home, I find it's quite easy to adapt with the SMG behaviour and I love it. But I guess still havel to master the 'skill' in bad crawling traffic.

kazuya;417647 said:
Ok, I will take your words. Got the car yesterday, earlier than I thought. Despite the problems reported in the forum around the world, I still keep my decision to get this car. Few minutes driving the car back to home, I find it's quite easy to adapt with the SMG behaviour and I love it. But I guess still havel to master the 'skill' in bad crawling traffic.

You will love it bro :top: Good choice:D

Problem came again but it was not as bad as before. Same thing, car only start moving above 2k rpm from 1st gear. Took it back to the workshop to check. The oil was still full so can confirm that the seal change actually works. Problem is with the clutch and as adjustment was made to compensate for the wear and tear ie it is thinner. Works fine now. But I think to really solve the problem once and for all, I may want to change the clutch soon. That should be about RM 2.5k all in, I think.

ozone;420952 said:
Problem came again but it was not as bad as before. Same thing, car only start moving above 2k rpm from 1st gear. Took it back to the workshop to check. The oil was still full so can confirm that the seal change actually works. Problem is with the clutch and as adjustment was made to compensate for the wear and tear ie it is thinner. Works fine now. But I think to really solve the problem once and for all, I may want to change the clutch soon. That should be about RM 2.5k all in, I think.

Did it happen when you were caught in traffic for long periods? Or frequent gear changes in stop and go traffic? If so, it could be a heat issue.

Just to share that I still have the same problem (rarely), despite having a fairly new clutch - it was the first thing i changed when the problem first occurred. As you said, the problem disappears after resetting the SMG ECU for compensation of clutch wear and tear. So far, I've done it twice since I changed the rubber seal.

I guess if your clutch is already due for a change, it is worth a try. As for me, my clutch has been used for less than 30000kms and i still have the problem. Next time it happens, I am going to check the flywheel to see if its causing more wear to the clutch than usual.

Do share if changing the clutch solves your problem.

ozone;420952 said:

2.5k sounds expensive ... is that the price charge by your mechanic or by SC?

Riezal-R;421238 said:
Did it happen when you were caught in traffic for long periods? Or frequent gear changes in stop and go traffic? If so, it could be a heat issue.

Just to share that I still have the same problem (rarely), despite having a fairly new clutch - it was the first thing i changed when the problem first occurred. As you said, the problem disappears after resetting the SMG ECU for compensation of clutch wear and tear. So far, I've done it twice since I changed the rubber seal.

I guess if your clutch is already due for a change, it is worth a try. As for me, my clutch has been used for less than 30000kms and i still have the problem. Next time it happens, I am going to check the flywheel to see if its causing more wear to the clutch than usual.

Do share if changing the clutch solves your problem.

It was only a very slight jam at Federal highway - traffic was moving but slow. Can't be too much gear changing as I was using manual mode.
Anyway, since it has been reprogrammed, I will change clutch only if it happens again and keep you updated. Yellow Mellow also recommended that the cover be removed to promote more airflow so I might do that as well.

B33mEr;421257 said:
2.5k sounds expensive ... is that the price charge by your mechanic or by SC?

The clutch alone cost RM 2k and to replace means removing the gearbox so the labour is quite high. Not too sure if gearbox oil has to be replaced but for SMG, gearbox oil not to expensive as it uses only 1 litre I think.
It was quoted by my mechanic in Ipoh and I also checked the clutch price directly with suppliers.

jelan;421556 said:
hi.. what is different for SMG?

Not sure if I understand your question correctly but SMG is basically a manual gearbox which has an auto function. You can use the auto function to change gears or you can use the gearstick or paddle shifter to manually shift up and down.
Unlike a pure manual gearbox, there is no clutch.
Benefit is very fast gear changes.
Disadvantage is - read this thread .....

The same problem appeared again last month.
So I changed the clutch.
But it happened again after the clutch was changed
Had it rest 3 times already and still same problem in jams.
I am thinking of converting to manual.
SMG is a manual gearbox so no need to buy a new one.
Will need some parts though.
Has anyone tries this and what is the estimated cost ?

Try checking the sensor in the gearbox, i don't think its that expensive. Worst case, bring it to AB and most likely they will ask to chg the clutch pump. There should be warranty on that, so if it doesn't work you should still be covered.

Good luck.

Car sold for RM 107k.
Purchased for RM 142k.
Owned it for 20 months.
Deposit RM 15k.
Monthly installment RM 2,500.
So all in paid RM 65k for car cost and finance charges.
Outstanding balance RM 96k.
Get back only RM 11k ie loss of 54k over 20 months ..
If I bought a new or pre reg car, I would lose less than RM 54k and there would have been no repair bills to worry about.

The end of one man's SMG experience....

potential owners should realy read this thread....

Top Bottom