SMG Share thread

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
yups ... so far all works done with dr.meng ...no major repairs tho... pwer window lifter, expansion tank, regular service, fuel pump filter, engine mounting, software update(made a big diff in FC) , oil separator/ventilation valve and other minor stuffs...

sachseelan;619244 said:
yups ... so far all works done with dr.meng ...no major repairs tho... pwer window lifter, expansion tank, regular service, fuel pump filter, engine mounting, software update(made a big diff in FC) , oil separator/ventilation valve and other minor stuffs...

I think i might give him a visit :) Mine causing problem already.

B33mEr;618112 said:

The conversion consist of used gearbox, gear linkage, long shaft, final differential, pedals and etc ... kedai potong lerrr in other words. The price quoted comes with all the necessary parts to do the conversion. But i believe we can reduce those parts since SMG cars are pretty much a manual car only with out the clutch pedals hence price will be cheaper. How much cheaper i have yet to ascertain.

Just to follow up ... I did ask an SMG owner in the US about reusing our existing gearbox to convert to manual he said he and his mechanic took several month to research on that matter and found out that it's not possible simply because there is no mounting point to mount the gear linkage ... In other word the gearbox casing is different even though the internal parts are exactly the same found in the manual transmission :(

The only good news is that we can reuse our existing clutch and flywheel :)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=367528

The quest goes on :4:

hi.. do u mind sharing a picture of your bmc cda set up?
hows the growl, shiok? :) does it need chemical cleaning or any at all?

thanks

sachseelan;619819 said:
hi.. do u mind sharing a picture of your bmc cda set up?
hows the growl, shiok? :) does it need chemical cleaning or any at all?

thanks

Here you go bro :)

015.jpg

011.jpg

The growl very addictive bro ... You just want to drive the car at mid rpm to high rpm all the time. When you shift from 1st to 2nd gear then accelerate the sound is just awesome. But i have to point out that out stock intake is still the best and you can feel the car is slightly sluggish during hot days especially traffic jam since the BMC CDA ( or any after-market intake) draws air within the engine bay. During nite time or morning you can feel the car really pulls tho :D

As for cleaning i just hose it using plain water .. Of course there's the BMC oil kit for the filter but i can't find over here. The one that i find is K&N. Plus i always clean the MAF using CRC. Hope that helps bro :top:

p/s: do shop around for best price bro

B33mEr;620162 said:
It's around RM1300 if i'm not mistaken ... Could be cheaper now

wah, air filter rm 1300. -.-""
beemer, u said ur air filter current drawn air from engine bay, y not using the stock air intake and find a hose connect to ur cda filter? isn't it much better?

clavenk;620193 said:
wah, air filter rm 1300. -.-""
beemer, u said ur air filter current drawn air from engine bay, y not using the stock air intake and find a hose connect to ur cda filter? isn't it much better?

Not enough space ... and if i actually did that the hose would be such an angle that it would actually choke air intake hence no point.

B33mEr;620217 said:
Not enough space ... and if i actually did that the hose would be such an angle that it would actually choke air intake hence no point.

ya, cause from ur pic i saw the air box is actually quite long and is touching headlight edi.
maybe u can try to get an elbow samco or whatever brand rubber connector to replace ur current 1(the blue rubber connector that currently connecting to MAS and ur CDA), so that air box is slightly bent toward the stock intake.

clavenk;620289 said:
ya, cause from ur pic i saw the air box is actually quite long and is touching headlight edi.
maybe u can try to get an elbow samco or whatever brand rubber connector to replace ur current 1(the blue rubber connector that currently connecting to MAS and ur CDA), so that air box is slightly bent toward the stock intake.

No can do ... we tried everything so the only way is to custom make the intake tube (a shorter stainless steel tube) starting from the throttle body. Cost would be around RM600-800

B33mEr;620322 said:
No can do ... we tried everything so the only way is to custom make the intake tube (a shorter stainless steel tube) starting from the throttle body. Cost would be around RM600-800

that's really pain, just to point the air box towards the stock intake.

afazlee;620807 said:
some very useful tips in the forum link provided by clavenk. looks like all smg will/has experience(d) this juddering, yes? sigh.. what have I gotten myself into

afazlee, dun worry, if really happen your car, you will still be able to drive, just that when traffic jam, is very irritating, cause that's the time judder the most. So far i don't see ppl in malaysia facing this also, looks like im only the unlucky one. haha.

clavenk;620926 said:
afazlee, dun worry, if really happen your car, you will still be able to drive, just that when traffic jam, is very irritating, cause that's the time judder the most. So far i don't see ppl in malaysia facing this also, looks like im only the unlucky one. haha.

sorry to hear dat clavenk, hope u'll figure out how to fix yours soon. from the reading, the way most smg owners are saying, it is as if one will encounter this irritating 'juddering' problem at one point or another, yes? the only consolation is that we can actually minimize if not eliminate the problem by regular resetting of the smg adaptation value, clutch slip point, clutch curve etc using GT1. plus, recalibration of the biting point of the hydraulic clutch by going neutral at 60-70kmph, with possible downside of clutch wear accelaration? worst case the clutch plate, slave, flywheel (gotta find out wat the hell is that) etc would have to be replaced (anybody have an idea how much it would cost, and how many km the new ones would last, roughly?). i have not had the first hand experience with any smg issue (yet), so i am a bit anxious to find out if i would encounter the problem later on (bet i would), and how big of a dent it will cause to my bank acct (every 1 half year replace the actuator? = rm4g? gosh).

honestly what really drives me to acquire the car is the hp and torque of a 330i, why e46 rather than the later model.. is the feel (think e90 is just too quiet), plus i want a bit of an extra bite with the smg tranny. in short, basically satisfying my urge to experience daily driving a couple notch below ///m, with a reasonably bearable maintenance (lower than maintaining an ///m, well, i can't afford one anyway). still the big question lingering in my mind is, in the long term, will i regret it? are smg issues too big of an inconvenience to handle? i know the answer is relative to an individual, i.e. depends on how you value the satisfaction as compared to the maintenance/part replacement u have to put up with. but as a new owner, as much as possible, i wish to learn more about the issues so that i can prepare myself and moolah to fix them. thus, preventive measures/maintenance would be very very valuable info indeed, hate to be stranded by the roadside with home minister yapping away 'i toldcha'. B33mEr and sachseelan who have used your smg for past couple years, you mind sharing roughly the average cost per annum of replacing parts for your smg? mine is a 2002 made, reg in 2007 with odometer of abt 65,000 km (just to give an idea where mine stands in terms of years and km done). from my reading, i think the expansion tank, bearing, mounting, bush, arms will be up for change pretty soon. based on what i gathered, i think i can put up with the normal wear and tear of an e46, but i'm a bit bothered by the additional part replacement specific to smg and whether it'll be too much for me to bear.

somehow, got this tingling feeling that B33mEr is at the brink of giving up tolerating the smg issues thus the push to find out more about converting his to manual tranny, no? (dats why i ask if he is giving up on his smg earlier).

really need that TT session with yall, and obtain some valuable pointers. can't wait to get back to kl for good in a week time (i'm currently in the middle east) and hope to settle the transfer as soon as I'm back, then we can tcock abt smg. meantime, any info and feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks.

afazlee;620968 said:
sorry to hear dat clavenk, hope u'll figure out how to fix yours soon. from the reading, the way most smg owners are saying, it is as if one will encounter this irritating 'juddering' problem at one point or another, yes? the only consolation is that we can actually minimize if not eliminate the problem by regular resetting of the smg adaptation value, clutch slip point, clutch curve etc using GT1. plus, recalibration of the biting point of the hydraulic clutch by going neutral at 60-70kmph, with possible downside of clutch wear accelaration? worst case the clutch plate, slave, flywheel (gotta find out wat the hell is that) etc would have to be replaced (anybody have an idea how much it would cost, and how many km the new ones would last, roughly?). i have not had the first hand experience with any smg issue (yet), so i am a bit anxious to find out if i would encounter the problem later on (bet i would), and how big of a dent it will cause to my bank acct (every 1 half year replace the actuator? = rm4g? gosh).

honestly what really drives me to acquire the car is the hp and torque of a 330i, why e46 rather than the later model.. is the feel (think e90 is just too quiet), plus i want a bit of an extra bite with the smg tranny. in short, basically satisfying my urge to experience daily driving a couple notch below ///m, with a reasonably bearable maintenance (lower than maintaining an ///m, well, i can't afford one anyway). still the big question lingering in my mind is, in the long term, will i regret it? are smg issues too big of an inconvenience to handle? i know the answer is relative to an individual, i.e. depends on how you value the satisfaction as compared to the maintenance/part replacement u have to put up with. but as a new owner, as much as possible, i wish to learn more about the issues so that i can prepare myself and moolah to fix them. thus, preventive measures/maintenance would be very very valuable info indeed, hate to be stranded by the roadside with home minister yapping away 'i toldcha'. B33mEr and sachseelan who have used your smg for past couple years, you mind sharing roughly the average cost per annum of replacing parts for your smg? mine is a 2002 made, reg in 2007 with odometer of abt 65,000 km (just to give an idea where mine stands in terms of years and km done). from my reading, i think the expansion tank, bearing, mounting, bush, arms will be up for change pretty soon. based on what i gathered, i think i can put up with the normal wear and tear of an e46, but i'm a bit bothered by the additional part replacement specific to smg and whether it'll be too much for me to bear.

somehow, got this tingling feeling that B33mEr is at the brink of giving up tolerating the smg issues thus the push to find out more about converting his to manual tranny, no? (dats why i ask if he is giving up on his smg earlier).

really need that TT session with yall, and obtain some valuable pointers. can't wait to get back to kl for good in a week time (i'm currently in the middle east) and hope to settle the transfer as soon as I'm back, then we can tcock abt smg. meantime, any info and feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Your spidey sense is off the mark larrr bro :p I'm still deeply in love with my SMG ride and still looking for every opportunity to drive her whenever can :4: Why i posted about transmission swap is i'm exploring the options available for us SMG owners hence my search for alternative solutions and while at the same time researching replacement parts for the hydraulic system designed by Magnetti Marelli.

Just read and digest all the info posted in this thread and you'll be alright bro. We have posted almost everything there is to know about SMG in this thread and all of us should post any new or additional info so that we are up to date on everything that is SMG.

B33mEr;621005 said:
Your spidey sense is off the mark larrr bro :p I'm still deeply in love with my SMG ride and still looking for every opportunity to drive her whenever can :4: Why i posted about transmission swap is i'm exploring the options available for us SMG owners hence my search for alternative solutions and while at the same time researching replacement parts for the hydraulic system designed by Magnetti Marelli.

Just read and digest all the info posted in this thread and you'll be alright bro. We have posted almost everything there is to know about SMG in this thread and all of us should post any new or additional info so that we are up to date on everything that is SMG.

opps sorry bout that bro, guess i was off tangent there. will do, tq sir

Top Bottom