SMG I characteristics

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
My 325i (95,000kms) has an SMG transmission that won't select reverse gear. Any guys here have an idea what would cause the problem?

Cheers... Paul

paul_325i;388631 said:
My 325i (95,000kms) has an SMG transmission that won't select reverse gear. Any guys here have an idea what would cause the problem?

Cheers... Paul

Check on the usual suspects. 'Reset' or 'reprogram' the ECU gearbox and/or check the clutch pump.

Hi guys,

I've been driving my '04 M3 SMG version for awhile now. I can agree with you guys who said that SMG will make your car choke as it changes gears and make it uncomfortable for passengers as well as driver. To overcome this problem is that you have to set the drivelogic to the proper settings.

For anyone who is not sure of what is drivelogic, its actually the small rectangular bar jz beneath the gearknob.

The purpose of this drivelogic is to control the gear shift speeds with respective to the speed of the car. The lower settings you set, the faster the gear shifts (as in shifts in lower RPM). The higher settings you set, the slower the gear shifts (shifts in higher RPM). Means that, the higher the settings, the more sportier your car will be (changing gears in higher revs). Thats why they have this 'secret mode' called LAUNCH CONTROL. You will have to switch off your DSC to activate this mode. Instead of the normal 5 bar icon, a 6th bar icon will appear. This is the ultimate settings where normal gearbox (with clutch) can not match.

Its really very comfortable driving in SMG if you master it. For me, i'm setting my auto mode to 2 bars, and 3 bars in the manual mode.

The only draw back for SMG is that the car will roll back at slopes. And because that there is no clutch to avoid the car from rolling back, you simply need to jz tap once on the downshift paddle, and the engine will automatically rev up to stop the car from rolling back.

I can only say that, once you get used to the SMG, others or incomparable :top:

The 'drivelogic' would only apply for M3 SMG. Not for the SMG (a.k.a SSG) for the normal E46.

AmpTree;393028 said:
Hi guys,

The only draw back for SMG is that the car will roll back at slopes. And because that there is no clutch to avoid the car from rolling back, you simply need to jz tap once on the downshift paddle, and the engine will automatically rev up to stop the car from rolling back.

:top:

SMG 1 does not have this "anti rollback" function !

How reliable is the SMG I?

Hey guys,

This is a useful thread that describes how to handle the SMG I/SSG transmission smoothly. But what about the its reliability compared to the standard auto/steptronic transmission? Anyone?

I've noticed in several "for sale" ads for 325i SMGs in this forum and elsewhere where the seller listed "new gearbox" as a selling point. To me this suggests that the SMG gearbox is prone to breakdown.

I'm interested in getting a 325i SMG soon and would really appreciate your comments! Thanks.

Midnight_Cowboy;408613 said:
Hey guys,

This is a useful thread that describes how to handle the SMG I/SSG transmission smoothly. But what about the its reliability compared to the standard auto/steptronic transmission? Anyone?

SHOULD BE OKAY. I USING IT FOR 4 YEARS..

I've noticed in several "for sale" ads for 325i SMGs in this forum and elsewhere where the seller listed "new gearbox" as a selling point. To me this suggests that the SMG gearbox is prone to breakdown.

GOT WARRANTY SO IS AN ADVANTAGE FOR THE NEW OWNER LA.. 2 YEARS UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARANTTY + 1 YEAR GOODWILL WARANTTY.

I'm interested in getting a 325i SMG soon and would really appreciate your comments! Thanks.

CHANGED MINE LAST YEAR. BASED FROM THE AB MEC. IT'S VERSION 7 MEANING THEY UPGRADE THE GEARBOX 7 TIMES ALREADY..:wink: BUT THE LATEST SMG GEARBOX IS CUN.... UPDATED VERSION ONE.

If the car is driven properly as described in this thread and proper care is given to the gearbox components (especially actuator), it should be fine.

Thanks YellowMellow and Riezal-R for the input. So I'll take it that the SMG-I is as reliable as the standard auto gearbox in e46. Awesome!

just some thoughts from a guy who drives both SMG/SSG and SMGII.

but before i say that... those who ridicule the SMGII do not know how to drive an SMGII. i have a friend who gets sick sitting in almost anything, even a bullockart.But she does not complain about my SMGII when she sits in mine. the trick is the way you drive it.if you are going for easy driving, S3 is best. S1 and S2 is very slow, which means you need to ease of the pedal a bit when shifting, but not completely. S3 is just nice, so if it is easy not pedal to the metal driving, S3 is good. Pedal to the metal driving, S4/S5 is best. then of course you have the S6 which you should only use if you rev to the maximum before shifting.

As for Riezal's Q, on SMG1, whoever told you that you HAVE to ease of the pedal when shifting is trying to sell you a faulty machine.in all respects the SMG1 works the same way the SMGII works. so there is no need to release the pedal. But for comfortable driving, ease very slightly, cos the shifts are fast and you get a jerk, cos u in a higher powerband when you shift up. so u get the jerk of the car forward which sends you backwards.

on C, u need to feel the car, when it shifts, only then you relelase the pedal, but not too much as well. it is all a matter of getting to know how the SMGI works.

but Riezal, i think the car you test drove, is not working the way it should.

Top Bottom