SMG Share thread

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Thanks all, i will post the pics at the right time and will take my rambling to the showroom thread instead, thanks for not minding so much of me hijacking this thread for a while :top:. i'm 37 year old but gosh i feel like a kid (with new toys) again lol :36:

Hi guys,
let's talk about SMG manual mode, high revs gear in.
assuming you are at gear 3 to 4. when gear 3 at about 5-6k rpm. How do you shift up to gear 4 with almost 0% jerk.
I realise when high rev is very hard to control shift up. it jerk badly.
So this is what i do usually. when shift up realease accelerator, but leave my foot step a little bit on the accelerator,once it shifted then cont step harder.
Do i need to step more accelerator while shifting gear when rpm is high? Sifu pls guide.

clavenk;617228 said:
Hi guys,
let's talk about SMG manual mode, high revs gear in.
assuming you are at gear 3 to 4. when gear 3 at about 5-6k rpm. How do you shift up to gear 4 with almost 0% jerk.
I realise when high rev is very hard to control shift up. it jerk badly.
So this is what i do usually. when shift up realease accelerator, but leave my foot step a little bit on the accelerator,once it shifted then cont step harder.
Do i need to step more accelerator while shifting gear when rpm is high? Sifu pls guide.

If you want a smooth transition when shifting you need to release the pedal in between the gears just like you would when shifting in a manual car. That will lessen the jerk considerably. You have to learn the timing when the smg shifts

For me it's pedal to the metal when shifting at high rpm :4:

B33mEr;617244 said:
If you want a smooth transition when shifting you need to release the pedal in between the gears just like you would when shifting in a manual car. That will lessen the jerk considerably. You have to learn the timing when the smg shifts

For me it's pedal to the metal when shifting at high rpm :4:

For me it's pedal to the metal when shifting at high rpm---> u mean u floor / not lifting up the pedal when shifting at high rpm?
i understand to learn the time but when high rpm is really hard to catch the timing. lol

full throttle, dont let go at all, i usually whack until about 6(+-) on every gear. i can live wt the jerk and clunking rear diffs, actually it becomes part of the rush you enjoy!

i believe even in a normal manual, at high revs you will release clutch as fast as you can and the jerk is similar.

sachseelan;617638 said:
full throttle, dont let go at all, i usually whack until about 6(+-) on every gear. i can live wt the jerk and clunking rear diffs, actually it becomes part of the rush you enjoy!

i believe even in a normal manual, at high revs you will release clutch as fast as you can and the jerk is similar.

-.-"" you serious? can i will try that out and see.

Updated info on the actuator O-Ring seal repair kit:-

100_1171.jpg

100_1172.jpg

100_1173.jpg

100_1174.jpg

100_1175.jpg

100_1176.jpg

100_1177.jpg

100_1178.jpg

100_1179.jpg

100_1181.jpg

0127.jpg

The original thread :- http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5927067&posted=1#post5927067

B33mEr;617823 said:
Updated info on the actuator O-Ring seal repair kit:-

100_1171.jpg

100_1172.jpg

100_1173.jpg

100_1174.jpg

100_1175.jpg

100_1176.jpg

100_1177.jpg

100_1178.jpg

100_1179.jpg

100_1181.jpg

0127.jpg

The original thread :- http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5927067&posted=1#post5927067

Beemer, did u manage to find an experience workshop willing to change the actuator seal? if we really buy the kit provide them? and roughly how much would it be? I always think there is always some workshop that not really experience but they dun mind giving it a try to do on this, and in the end they cant fix it, which might cause us to buy a new actuator pump. So pretty worry bout this.

Awesome, just go for the 1 with cheaper charges and experienced. I might change it, even mine gb having no problem :D

clavenk;617918 said:
Beemer, did u manage to find an experience workshop willing to change the actuator seal? if we really buy the kit provide them? and roughly how much would it be? I always think there is always some workshop that not really experience but they dun mind giving it a try to do on this, and in the end they cant fix it, which might cause us to buy a new actuator pump. So pretty worry bout this.

I'm always on a lookout to find a workshop willing to do it and i'm sure there's quite a few. Anyway i called bav auto and below is the price they quoted me:

SMG pump repair kit = RM1900 (Special order from Germany and takes about two week time frame)

Clutch release bearing (for MY 2002) = RM80 ready stock (OEM LUK parts i think)

Clutch release bearing (For MY 2003 and above) = RM480 (special order from Germany and two week time frame)

Will update more next week ...

Edit: Called up ATSB regarding on the conversion below are the price:

ZF 5 Speed gearbox conversion :- RM15k

ZF 6 Speed gearbox conversion:- RM18k

They only supply parts and does not do the conversion themselves.

B33mEr;618072 said:
I'm always on a lookout to find a workshop willing to do it and i'm sure there's quite a few. Anyway i called bav auto and below is the price they quoted me:

SMG pump repair kit = RM1900 (Special order from Germany and takes about two week time frame)

Clutch release bearing (For MY 2003 and above) = RM480 (special order from Germany and two week time frame)

I assume this is a common recurring problem for smg, right? Can those experienced smg users informed us noobs how frequent (roughly) the actuator seal has to be changed? i.e. how long does a newly changed one last? Is there any preventive maintenance measure that can be made to ensure it last longer? thanks

afazlee;618075 said:
I assume this is a common recurring problem for smg, right? Can those experienced smg users informed us noobs how frequent (roughly) the actuator seal has to be changed? i.e. how long does a newly changed one last? Is there any preventive maintenance measure that can be made to ensure it last longer? thanks

If change to a new actuator it will last at least 2yrs up to 5 years depending on your driving habit. Not sure how long if one did the retrofit seals tho.

B33mEr;618072 said:

Edit: Called up ATSB regarding on the conversion below are the price:

ZF 5 Speed gearbox conversion :- RM15k

ZF 6 Speed gearbox conversion:- RM18k

They only supply parts and does not do the conversion themselves.

i tot the smg pump repair kit is just seal kit? why is it rm1900? Did they mention what's inside the smg pump repair kit?
what do u mean by conversion here? SMG to manual? or what?

clavenk;618093 said:
i tot the smg pump repair kit is just seal kit? why is it rm1900? Did they mention what's inside the smg pump repair kit?

yea man, don't tell me u've given up dealing with the headache of smg, i just bought one :20:

clavenk;618093 said:

Aiyo brader!!! Please read and study the postings i posted earlier carefully lerrr ... The o-ring seal is for the actuator which we retrofit a repair kit meant for the manual transmission actuator unto our SMG actuator.

The SMG pump repair kit is actually a new SMG pump. The SMG pump is what drives the hydraulics fuids. You can hear the pump whine every time you start the car.

The conversion consist of used gearbox, gear linkage, long shaft, final differential, pedals and etc ... kedai potong lerrr in other words. The price quoted comes with all the necessary parts to do the conversion. But i believe we can reduce those parts since SMG cars are pretty much a manual car only with out the clutch pedals hence price will be cheaper. How much cheaper i have yet to ascertain.

B33mEr;618112 said:
Aiyo brader!!! Please read and study the postings i posted earlier carefully lerrr ... The o-ring seal is for the actuator which we retrofit a repair kit meant for the manual transmission actuator unto our SMG actuator.

The SMG pump repair kit is actually a new SMG pump. The SMG pump is what drives the hydraulics fuids. You can hear the pump whine every time you start the car.

The conversion consist of used gearbox, gear linkage, long shaft, final differential, pedals and etc ... kedai potong lerrr in other words. The price quoted comes with all the necessary parts to do the conversion. But i believe we can reduce those parts since SMG cars are pretty much a manual car only with out the clutch pedals hence price will be cheaper. How much cheaper i have yet to ascertain.

sry la brother, cause u posted the actuator o-ring then suddenly come out smg repair kit, so i tot the smg repair kit is actually the pic u posted earlier. But but but, still thanks a lot for further explaining. chill la bro..

clavenk;618130 said:
sry la brother, cause u posted the actuator o-ring then suddenly come out smg repair kit, so i tot the smg repair kit is actually the pic u posted earlier. But but but, still thanks a lot for further explaining. chill la bro..

No worries bro ... Hope you can digest all the info :top:

had a look at mine wt ah ming... been replaced recently... looked clean and new...

pump whine - coool ;)

sachseelan;619043 said:
had a look at mine wt ah ming... been replaced recently... looked clean and new...

pump whine - coool ;)

Bro ... you had your ride checked kat M-Speed ke? Yup pump whine equal healthy pump though mine doesn't whine as loud as before :( I think mine is on the way out huhuhu

Top Bottom