SMG Share thread

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jc@;599607 said:
I tried that method too but seems like not working also.
About to get my car back . Hope everything is back to original

jc@ where did u send your car to change your pump? AB? what else they ask u to change beside pump? In total how much?

No. I should have sent it to ab instead. Listen too much fantasy from ppl outside of ab.
I had a new clutch actuator and pump kit. Cost 8 k after discount. And I don't way to check with ab bout the pricing. it'd about there. By the way , they don't charge me labour though. I had a 3.2k repair before these parts. So better keep it to ab. Learn my lesson for listening to these fantastic mech

jc@;600128 said:
No. I should have sent it to ab instead. Listen too much fantasy from ppl outside of ab.
I had a new clutch actuator and pump kit. Cost 8 k after discount. And I don't way to check with ab bout the pricing. it'd about there. By the way , they don't charge me labour though. I had a 3.2k repair before these parts. So better keep it to ab. Learn my lesson for listening to these fantastic mech

So your car working fine now?

Hi guys,

Solve my steering shaking problem, finally. Is because of front lower arm. change both side for RM 800+. Now can go until 130+. But my rear still vibrating after 130 km/h. Now changing on Axle mounting and see how. I will update you guy again.

SMG owner's keep the thread alive . ^.^

I forgot where i keep my reciept. can you show me how to post photos? i have it in my phone. one is clutch pump and the other one not sure, magnetti mirelli stuff. with carbon inside. one is 4k+ the other 3k+

keep it active.. SMG owner.
Come let's talk bout where you guys sending your car for any check up or servicing or what ever fix!!

Kl really have such few smg Owner, only 4 of us who is actively post in the forum.
jc@,Beem3r,sachseelan, n myself. -.-""
all smg owner sell off car edi ?

Smg old timer, Yellow Mellow - look up his posts on smg at udmowners.com Good info!

E46 ///M owners too ..

Repair kit from BMW for leaking actuators

Yahoooo ... finally someone managed to solve the leaking actuator for us SMG/SSG owners out there :rock::rock::rock: :

"How to repair your SSG clutch slave using BMW parts

I have been suffering with a worsening leak from the hydraulics on my SSG gearbox for a while. This is what I did to remedy the problem; the car is a UK spec SSG 330i Sport.
Firstly, check that it is the clutch slave that is leaking, it will most likely be running into the inside of the bell housing and out of the the drain hole at the bottom, it will also probably be moist around the three multi plugs on the left hand side of the gearbox; you will notice that the fluid that is leaking is lime green and smells sweet. Once you have established that it is this that is leaking I'll tell you what you need to do.
Go to your nearest BMW dealership or BMW independant and order a seal repair kit for a manual clutch slave (they do not do a kit for the SSG) this will be a special order from Germany and will take 7-10 days as it is made to order, you will also need 1litre of CHF11s fluid. The kit consists of a new cap, new rubber gaitor and new piston complete with piston seal.
Start the job by disconnecting you battery, then you will need a ramp as you will be under the car for a considerable amount of time; from under the car strip the frame holding the hydraulics and pump on the left hand side, two hydraulic pipes, the gearbox saddle and lastly the reservoir; most of the bolts are T27 and T45 torx head and are fiddly to get to but achievable. You may need to remove two 18mm bolts from prop shaft coupling to get to reservoir bolts The pump is hard wired in, so don't try to unplug it just prop it up on the something safely.
You will then be able to remove the clutch slave very easily.
When you remove the slave, take off the clutch position sensor via 2 4mm allen head bolts - you do not want to damage this!
Then put it in a vice and remove the black cap by peeling it out, then pull out the rubber gaitor and you can then pull out the piston rod, then remove the spring circlip with circlip pliers; there will then be a washer and voila! your piston with seal, there is also a spring behind the piston.
Now you will notice that the piston you have removed and the piston in the kit are different, the seal however is exactly the same, take your old one off (it will probably break apart as it will have become brittle) carefully with something blunt remove the new seal and put it on your piston TAKE NOTE OF THE ORIENTATION OF THE SEAL. Lubricate the seal and push the pitson back in, there will be some resistance but it will go. Refit all the parts and press the new cap in - use a long 18mm socket or something similar and vice.
Refit all your parts reverse of removal, and refill your reservoir.
cycle your ignition a couple of times to prime the pump, this will partly bleed the hydraulics, fill the reservoir again to the top mark, you can start the car and you will probably get no warning lights but this is all you can do, you will then need a BMW tech guy with diagnostic gear to run the bleed procedure, this cannot be done manually as the ECU needs to learn clutch position, slip, gear position etc. DON'T BE TEMPTED TO DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL THIS IS DONE.
This realistically takes 2 hours and the battery on your car must be FULLY charged or the ECU will not perform.
I took a chance at the kit fitting, but in the end it paid off.
Any reasonable mechanic can do this job, and you DO NOT need to remove the gearbox. Once you have the seal out it really is a piece of piss . Budget for £27 for kit, £10 for fluid and £45-£120 for bleed procedure and a full day. You will save at least a grand by doing this yourself.
Good luck and I hope I have been useful in writing this."

Original info
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5851787&posted=1#post5851787

B33mEr;607239 said:
Yahoooo ... finally someone managed to solve the leaking actuator for us SMG/SSG owners out there :rock::rock::rock: :

"How to repair your SSG clutch slave using BMW parts

I have been suffering with a worsening leak from the hydraulics on my SSG gearbox for a while. This is what I did to remedy the problem; the car is a UK spec SSG 330i Sport.
Firstly, check that it is the clutch slave that is leaking, it will most likely be running into the inside of the bell housing and out of the the drain hole at the bottom, it will also probably be moist around the three multi plugs on the left hand side of the gearbox; you will notice that the fluid that is leaking is lime green and smells sweet. Once you have established that it is this that is leaking I'll tell you what you need to do.
Go to your nearest BMW dealership or BMW independant and order a seal repair kit for a manual clutch slave (they do not do a kit for the SSG) this will be a special order from Germany and will take 7-10 days as it is made to order, you will also need 1litre of CHF11s fluid. The kit consists of a new cap, new rubber gaitor and new piston complete with piston seal.
Start the job by disconnecting you battery, then you will need a ramp as you will be under the car for a considerable amount of time; from under the car strip the frame holding the hydraulics and pump on the left hand side, two hydraulic pipes, the gearbox saddle and lastly the reservoir; most of the bolts are T27 and T45 torx head and are fiddly to get to but achievable. You may need to remove two 18mm bolts from prop shaft coupling to get to reservoir bolts The pump is hard wired in, so don't try to unplug it just prop it up on the something safely.
You will then be able to remove the clutch slave very easily.
When you remove the slave, take off the clutch position sensor via 2 4mm allen head bolts - you do not want to damage this!
Then put it in a vice and remove the black cap by peeling it out, then pull out the rubber gaitor and you can then pull out the piston rod, then remove the spring circlip with circlip pliers; there will then be a washer and voila! your piston with seal, there is also a spring behind the piston.
Now you will notice that the piston you have removed and the piston in the kit are different, the seal however is exactly the same, take your old one off (it will probably break apart as it will have become brittle) carefully with something blunt remove the new seal and put it on your piston TAKE NOTE OF THE ORIENTATION OF THE SEAL. Lubricate the seal and push the pitson back in, there will be some resistance but it will go. Refit all the parts and press the new cap in - use a long 18mm socket or something similar and vice.
Refit all your parts reverse of removal, and refill your reservoir.
cycle your ignition a couple of times to prime the pump, this will partly bleed the hydraulics, fill the reservoir again to the top mark, you can start the car and you will probably get no warning lights but this is all you can do, you will then need a BMW tech guy with diagnostic gear to run the bleed procedure, this cannot be done manually as the ECU needs to learn clutch position, slip, gear position etc. DON'T BE TEMPTED TO DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL THIS IS DONE.
This realistically takes 2 hours and the battery on your car must be FULLY charged or the ECU will not perform.
I took a chance at the kit fitting, but in the end it paid off.
Any reasonable mechanic can do this job, and you DO NOT need to remove the gearbox. Once you have the seal out it really is a piece of piss . Budget for £27 for kit, £10 for fluid and £45-£120 for bleed procedure and a full day. You will save at least a grand by doing this yourself.
Good luck and I hope I have been useful in writing this."

Original info
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5851787&posted=1#post5851787

who in kl willing to test on this? and the workshop must have diagnosis tool to bleed. Even if the workshop know how to do it. they wont tell you, and they will charge u the cost of replacing a new actuator. Unless you do it urself. Sad

Hi all, may i know this SMG info apply to SMGII ? Means izzit same actuator with M3 E46 ?

clavenk;607303 said:
who in kl willing to test on this? and the workshop must have diagnosis tool to bleed. Even if the workshop know how to do it. they wont tell you, and they will charge u the cost of replacing a new actuator. Unless you do it urself. Sad

Can use GT1 to bleed the SMG system and also do SMG teaching-in as was describe in the post. Which workshop tell u that it will cost you 4k just doing the bleeding and smg teach-in?

B33mEr;608121 said:
Can use GT1 to bleed the SMG system and also do SMG teaching-in as was describe in the post. Which workshop tell u that it will cost you 4k just doing the bleeding and smg teach-in?

im not saying they bleeding the hydralic and charge u for 4k ... i mean the actuator pump. even they know how to do it.. They wont tell you.. They will just tell u they change a new pump cost charge u for 4k. unless, u know the workshop very well and can ask them to try this out for u.

clavenk;608148 said:
im not saying they bleeding the hydralic and charge u for 4k ... i mean the actuator pump. even they know how to do it.. They wont tell you.. They will just tell u they change a new pump cost charge u for 4k. unless, u know the workshop very well and can ask them to try this out for u.

I disagree ... very few workshop knows the nature of the problem let alone fix it. APD in Glenmarie for example have fixed an E46 325 SMG actuator by installing an O-Ring bought from another known workshop that have the correct O-Ring. So there's only two workshop that i know off that have done O-Ring replacement.

The BMW solution is the 1st tried solution ever done which was graciously shared on the forum (bimmerfest) by a bmw enthuthiast like us.

One of these days we need to do a meet up and share what we know.

Top Bottom