Msport: 320d vs 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
carlsson;688161 said:
oooo..something i might want to consider then..ahhahaa.. but i know the black soot will be more apparent...haiz..

No it won't be more apparent...

carlsson;688158 said:
Bro, changing the tip isn't going to void your warranty ?

as doc pointed out, it wont void coz its only cosmetic changes....
if I m not wrong, only replacing the tip (muffler onwards) so that the tip not pointing down, but straight... like all strapping lad should be!!!:biggrin:

eric_s;688175 said:
as doc pointed out, it wont void coz its only cosmetic changes....
if I m not wrong, only replacing the tip (muffler onwards) so that the tip not pointing down, but straight... like all strapping lad should be!!!:biggrin:

checked, they said will still void the whole exhaust.

DJH;688346 said:

SERIOUSLY?? removing the tip (which has no mechanical function at all apart from directing the fumes to the ground) will void the whole system?
Thks for informing, will check with the SA...
Luckily not yet install..... haiz.....

DJH;688346 said:

So is there a non-destructive way of replacing the exhaust tip so that it can be replaced back?

Can't believe why a cosmetic change would void the warranty...

gameover;688473 said:
So is there a non-destructive way of replacing the exhaust tip so that it can be replaced back?

Can't believe why a cosmetic change would void the warranty...

Hello bros,

Few months ago , i've asked ingress...dieorg cakap ok je..since dieorg pun offer tukar muffler jugak...as long as tabung before muffler tu remain as what it is..

What reply would u hv expected? That BMW has no objection to warranty with 'just an exhaust tip modification'? A general question like that will always attract a safe answer from authority. I've installed carbon fibre covers on my side mirrors. If my side mirror folding motor fails, can BMW disclaim liability? If yes, then apple can disclaim warranty on their phones if u don't use an official apple phone cover case?

At the end of the day, common sense will prevail. BMW will not b sticky with such a small mod which merely straightens the flow of exhaust gas. Like I've said earlier, the only warranty issues that will surface is if the welding joining the tip n exhaust tube rusts or soot staining the paintwork of the bumper part above the tip (altho' highly unlikely since the tip has been installed to protrude at least 2 inches out & with the dark grey m sport bumper as camouflage)

I think BMW is reasonable n in many cases documented in this forum, hv provided goodwill warranty, even on big ticket items outside the warranty period

Bros, just got my first servicing done at Quill Puchong yesterday (under BSRI). Today i checked the oil dip and noticed the oil level is at the mid point between min and max level. Is this normal?

In reference to the warranty void for exhaust tip. Well, I believe it is always easier for any manufacturer to absolve them selves from responsibility and it is stated in the T&C. Of course, we can always argue and make common sense out of the situation. It is up to us to take the risk. Anyway, I believe the exhaust should last more than 2 years warranty given so common sense should also prevail here.........hence, just go and get the tip changed..... hehehe. I may not do it as vector may eventually discolour (from reliable source) my white bumper if I decided to install it. Better look ugly (pointed down exhaust) but fast.

With regards to my earlier post, Just got back from Quill, oil level upon service should be reaching max. They top it up for me. Just a note that you may want to check the oil level after service. Cheers.

Rave;689073 said:
With regards to my earlier post, Just got back from Quill, oil level upon service should be reaching max. They top it up for me. Just a note that you may want to check the oil level after service. Cheers.

Did you question them why it was not in MAX? Human error or machine problem or other? It seems ridiculous... Or may be... Save Oil Save Cost :4:

I did Kimi, they said they wrongly estimated....regret to say it, but it does makes me to feel that they are saving oil. Every servicing requires 5.2L oil and it will come to Max. Castrol synthetic comes in 4L container. Either they do not want to open a new container or there wasn't any leftover to top it up. Planning to go for my service interval in 7000k and if they charge me for 2 container , i am going to ask for the balance oil...

have seen the bmw 320d 2 days ago, it looked so great and I like fell in love with it, I'd like to ask to all sifu's what is the difference in car care using Diesel and Petrol in the long term? how about the Turbo Charge is available on the diesel engine (whether it is sensitive and should always be serviced?)

Nmr Nik Soh;692585 said:
have seen the bmw 320d 2 days ago, it looked so great and I like fell in love with it, I'd like to ask to all sifu's what is the difference in car care using Diesel and Petrol in the long term? how about the Turbo Charge is available on the diesel engine (whether it is sensitive and should always be serviced?)

Diesel has shorter service intervals (15k km) vs. petrol (20k km). I don't know of any regular maintenance to the turbos that's different.

Cant imagine how the engine will look inside if 15k ro 20k service interval. I change oil every 5k km sharp on odometer

initialM;693021 said:
Cant imagine how the engine will look inside if 15k ro 20k service interval. I change oil every 5k km sharp on odometer

Agree bro. Even a petrol NA engine of my M5425B approaching 10k km, I can clearly see and feel the viscosity of the oil is different. I always do it before 8k km.

320dvs325i.png

I am plotting this graph to let you understand what are you going to choose.

320d* powerkitted 147KW 420NM
325i 160KW 250NM

At a glance, 325i might be a better choice simply the horsepower is higher 13KW more peak horsepower.
Now look at the comparision plot of the two 3 series variant as a function of engine rpm.

Look at the horsepower (KW) curves for 320d* and 325i, you will notice that 325i has more peak power at 6000rpm, while 320d* has significantly more power at the range of 1500-4000rpm. If the Diesel engine "allowed" to go up to 6000rpm then the peak power of 320d* should be at 200KW (272hp). What does it mean by this 272hp? It means that you are driving a 272hp car with engine speed cut off at 4000rpm. UPSET?

Good news is 320d* offers much greater torque over the working range too. This means 320d* will give you the feel of the force, the dark force is stronger with 320d* at this range of engine speed. Remember we cannot feel the horsepower, what we can feel is the force that push you back to the seat (This is the torque that you feel). This explain why you being excited by the force of 320d* or even a normal 320d at 380NM over the 325i 250NM during the test drive. The ratio is 1.68 or 68% greater the feel. However, when we say feeling it is not as scientific. The fact kickin, when you race with 325i at full throttle and rev the engine speed to 6000rpm, at this time engine produces 160KW and you will be smoked. so 325i is still a faster car.

This plot also explain that why 320d has better fuel economic, because it has a low rpm engine, greater torque and may be made use of better gearing ratio (no time to search)

Top Bottom