Msport: 320d vs 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jwah;702740 said:
320dvs325i.png

I am plotting this graph to let you understand what are you going to choose.

320d* powerkitted 147KW 420NM
325i 160KW 250NM

At a glance, 325i might be a better choice simply the horsepower is higher 13KW more peak horsepower.
Now look at the comparision plot of the two 3 series variant as a function of engine rpm.

Look at the horsepower (KW) curves for 320d* and 325i, you will notice that 325i has more peak power at 6000rpm, while 320d* has significantly more power at the range of 1500-4000rpm. If the Diesel engine "allowed" to go up to 6000rpm then the peak power of 320d* should be at 200KW (272hp). What does it mean by this 272hp? It means that you are driving a 272hp car with engine speed cut off at 4000rpm. UPSET?

Good news is 320d* offers much greater torque over the working range too. This means 320d* will give you the feel of the force, the dark force is stronger with 320d* at this range of engine speed. Remember we cannot feel the horsepower, what we can feel is the force that push you back to the seat (This is the torque that you feel). This explain why you being excited by the force of 320d* or even a normal 320d at 380NM over the 325i 250NM during the test drive. The ratio is 1.68 or 68% greater the feel. However, when we say feeling it is not as scientific. The fact kickin, when you race with 325i at full throttle and rev the engine speed to 6000rpm, at this time engine produces 160KW and you will be smoked. so 325i is still a faster car.

This plot also explain that why 320d has better fuel economic, because it has a low rpm engine, greater torque and may be made use of better gearing ratio (no time to search)

i hope 325i owners do not get us 320D owners wrong:4: both cars are gorgeous germans:love: no intentions to irk anyone :4: i wud have my wife drive 325 if i have a deep pocket to pay the monthly installment:top: dont get me wrong here too btw by giving the car to wifey.. both cars are great rides :4:

jwah;702740 said:
320dvs325i.png

I am plotting this graph to let you understand what are you going to choose.

320d* powerkitted 147KW 420NM
325i 160KW 250NM

At a glance, 325i might be a better choice simply the horsepower is higher 13KW more peak horsepower.
Now look at the comparision plot of the two 3 series variant as a function of engine rpm.

Look at the horsepower (KW) curves for 320d* and 325i, you will notice that 325i has more peak power at 6000rpm, while 320d* has significantly more power at the range of 1500-4000rpm. If the Diesel engine "allowed" to go up to 6000rpm then the peak power of 320d* should be at 200KW (272hp). What does it mean by this 272hp? It means that you are driving a 272hp car with engine speed cut off at 4000rpm. UPSET?

Good news is 320d* offers much greater torque over the working range too. This means 320d* will give you the feel of the force, the dark force is stronger with 320d* at this range of engine speed. Remember we cannot feel the horsepower, what we can feel is the force that push you back to the seat (This is the torque that you feel). This explain why you being excited by the force of 320d* or even a normal 320d at 380NM over the 325i 250NM during the test drive. The ratio is 1.68 or 68% greater the feel. However, when we say feeling it is not as scientific. The fact kickin, when you race with 325i at full throttle and rev the engine speed to 6000rpm, at this time engine produces 160KW and you will be smoked. so 325i is still a faster car.

This plot also explain that why 320d has better fuel economic, because it has a low rpm engine, greater torque and may be made use of better gearing ratio (no time to search)

Doctor with PhD in Engineering from University of London...don't play, play! He knows his stuff!!

jwah;702740 said:
The fact kickin, when you race with 325i at full throttle and rev the engine speed to 6000rpm, at this time engine produces 160KW and you will be smoked. so 325i is still a faster car.

In real life , the performance of both cars is about the same. With the powerkit, the 320d is faster.

In day to day driving, the 320d has the edge. In flat out MEX runs, the 325i will inch forwards against the stock 320d. Maybe in 10 minutes flat out racing, will inch forward by 2 inches. Then, tank runs out! cabutzzzzzzzzzz.................

Have both. Love both. No discrimination to either one.

(Enjoying the last of BMW's sweet legendary NA straight 6....)

docrayboy;702872 said:
In day to day driving, the 320d has the edge. In flat out MEX runs, the 325i will inch forwards against the stock 320d. Maybe in 10 minutes flat out racing, will inch forward by 2 inches. Then, tank runs out! cabutzzzzzzzzzz.................

That is a fact too no need to refuel so often.

docrayboy;702872 said:
Maybe in 10 minutes flat out racing, will inch forward by 2 inches. Then, tank runs out! cabutzzzzzzzzzz.................

LOL...this is quite true, not with the 325i's but with Evo's and STi's I come across in our highways. We will have about 15 or 20 minutes of fun on the NKVE and then suddenly they have to make a dash for some godforsaken exit on the highway.

I think most of the turbo diesel engines are not designed to go for high rpm simply due to its combustion cycle characteristics.

as far as i know the diesel engines produce too much black smoke resulting from the exhaust even more so when we accelerated so that indicates whether the smoke exhaust system should be serviced when it happens n how the cost needed to recover to normal?

Nmr Nik Soh;705078 said:
as far as i know the diesel engines produce too much black smoke resulting from the exhaust even more so when we accelerated so that indicates whether the smoke exhaust system should be serviced when it happens n how the cost needed to recover to normal?

Haven't seen any black smoke coming from any 320d or 520d even under hard acceleration. Even with the older 530d's I have seen only on very rare occasions. But this is problem is very common with the Merc diesels especially the E270d.

So don't worry about black smoke if you are getting a Beemer.

I had issues with smoke before. I was using Shell. When i changed to Petronas, smoke gone. Dun use shell

Nmr Nik Soh;705078 said:

On a very rare occasion, if you follow a 320d for say half an hour, and you concentrate and look hard and close at the exhaust, you may see a very thin wisp of soot when the driver floors the throttle, otherwise the exhaust fumes are invisible.

yes, doc that is right. I saw you smoked me a number of times. Not excessive smoking like lori, more like having a cigar.

Was in quill yesterday to make my booking for the D. Taking a pre-reg with a substantial discount off (cny promo+super sales). A bargain I couldn't resist. As the f30 will arrive (CKD) only last quarter of 2012, I decided not to wait.. Still compiling my docs and insya the loan is quick n I can join in the next TT with you oil burners sifus!

P.s was contemplating between an Audi A5 or the D monster.. Will forgo looks (a5) for a fun Drive!

BennLee;705413 said:
Was in quill yesterday to make my booking for the D. Taking a pre-reg with a substantial discount off (cny promo+super sales). A bargain I couldn't resist. As the f30 will arrive (CKD) only last quarter of 2012, I decided not to wait.. Still compiling my docs and insya the loan is quick n I can join in the next TT with you oil burners sifus!

P.s was contemplating between an Audi A5 or the D monster.. Will forgo looks (a5) for a fun Drive!

Hi,

What was the indicative price you got?If you don't mind telling :)
Thanks

It's a pre-reg unit (r.p 250k).. With the cny promo, there is a couple of packages, one tht is able to be max at rm25k discount. With 5 yrs Bsri is rm20k disc. Full spec m sport with idrive. If loan @ 5 years, able to get 0% int from BMW credit. IMO with either the 3yrs or 5years bsri, @ 225/230k I think it's quite a good buy compared to the competitions.

BennLee;705682 said:
It's a pre-reg unit (r.p 250k).. With the cny promo, there is a couple of packages, one tht is able to be max at rm25k discount. With 5 yrs Bsri is rm20k disc. Full spec m sport with idrive. If loan @ 5 years, able to get 0% int from BMW credit. IMO with either the 3yrs or 5years bsri, @ 225/230k I think it's quite a good buy compared to the competitions.
Thanks bro...

hi everyone.. am new here... sorry for the inconveniences... just to share with everyone and i have no idea what to do.. last 2 days ago i have pay Rm2500 booking for a 325i colour space grey at Petaling Jaya somewhere near ss19 (which everyone know where i talking to)..but this morning when i go over to test drive the car agian and the sales girl told me the car that i booked already sold... please advice me i really have no idea how... but i did call up to BMW HQ which at cyberjaya and make a report....

Top Bottom