Msport: 320d vs 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
ronnie2k9;673453 said:
Hahaha... I will try DS mode tomorrow... Hehehe

Wait you've *never* tried DS before? The sales person didn't tell you about it?
Man you don't know what you're missing :D

docrayboy;673428 said:
Even if tekan or drive DS mode all the way, fuel consumpton doesn't deteriorate much I notice....maybe from 7L/100km to 8L/100km. Spend MR1.80 for a more fun 100km of driving?.........I think damn good investment!

DS mode is addictive. Yesterday i DS all the way - on the way to office, to appointment and back to home - 100km of fun DS'ing in KL (even red line it). Fuel consumption dropped from 9.5l/km to 9.2l/km.

err... noob question....
since all have been raving about this DS mode, I m taking a calculated guess its a Drive Sports mode?
similar to manual gear shifts ala steptronic?
sad to say when i get the car, will have to go uncle mode (slightly faster than aunty lar) until engine break-in.....
its gonna be a looooooong 2k km!

eric_s;673492 said:
err... noob question....
since all have been raving about this DS mode, I m taking a calculated guess its a Drive Sports mode?
similar to manual gear shifts ala steptronic?
sad to say when i get the car, will have to go uncle mode (slightly faster than aunty lar) until engine break-in.....
its gonna be a looooooong 2k km!

DS mode is when you put your selection lever to the left. "DS" will appear instead of "D" on the Multifunction display on your meter cluster.

Can someone also point out that when we do the "manual (steptronic)" either via Gear lever or Paddle shifters we are on DS mode as well or it is just Manual/Steptronic without the DS characteristics.?

namidub;673493 said:
DS mode is when you put your selection lever to the left. "DS" will appear instead of "D" on the Multifunction display on your meter cluster.

Can someone also point out that when we do the "manual (steptronic)" either via Gear lever or Paddle shifters we are on DS mode as well or it is just Manual/Steptronic without the DS characteristics.?

I think DS is Auto with S[ports settings-more power delivered, slightly less fuel savings. There is less tendency for the gearbox to switch to higher gears.

namidub;673493 said:

Do we have paddle shifters in the d? I don't remember seeing it when I test drove the car......

docrayboy;673494 said:
I think DS is Auto with S[ports settings-more power delivered, slightly less fuel savings. There is less tendency for the gearbox to switch to higher gears.

so is it safe to assume that manual mode is where +/- mark on the gear lever?

guys, when u r in DS mode, will u change gear manually or leave it to change gear on its own?

eric_s;673501 said:
Do we have paddle shifters in the d? I don't remember seeing it when I test drove the car......

No ours dont have.but the paddle shifters are the mod list in my mind.
I was speaking generally on e90 series...

DJH;673520 said:
guys, when u r in DS mode, will u change gear manually or leave it to change gear on its own?

i tend to let it rev and flip gears by itself, and keep both hands on the steering wheel to reign in the bucking metal horse!

nami/eric - for sharing, with paddle shifters added, you need to engage DS to activate steptronic functionality (paddles wont work in D). was tempted to get them too cos i think they'd add to the fun factor, but decided to save my moolah as i don't think i'll use it much (reason above). plus they get in the way of my normal handhold on the steering too (3 & 9 o'clock).

Maniac;673541 said:
i tend to let it rev and flip gears by itself, and keep both hands on the steering wheel to reign in the bucking metal horse!

nami/eric - for sharing, with paddle shifters added, you need to engage DS to activate steptronic functionality (paddles wont work in D). was tempted to get them too cos i think they'd add to the fun factor, but decided to save my moolah as i don't think i'll use it much (reason above). plus they get in the way of my normal handhold on the steering too (3 & 9 o'clock).

The problem is the max torque (if i am not mistaken) is around 3,750rpm. If left in DS auto, it will not upshift quickly enough to maximise on the torque and by the time it reached 5k rpm, it has no more power. From my experience, funny thing is for first few gear when i left it in DS auto, it has better pick up compare to manual upshifting. True, it will divert my attention from driving when in manual mode.
Can other share their experience to the optimal/fastest pick up speed?

namidub;673493 said:

I kinda like using paddle shifts since my days with honda civic. Sadly dun have it in my car and dun wan to waste money upgrading it either.

the max torque peaks at around 2800 rpm and tapers off very sharply after 3500 rpm. Beyond that, it feels a little breathless.

Since I do not do jack rabbit launches (but smooth, progressive acceleration), I leave the auto box to shift optimally for me during acceleration. Depending on my urgency, the D or DS mode does a wonderful job throughout the torque range.

It is in the sweeping bends that the Manual mode shines. Knowing that the max torque is between 1800 - 2800 rpm, You want to be in this sweet spot by down-shifting going into the turn so that you can slingshot just off the apex curve whilst exploiting the RWD, 50:50 balanced chassis to derive maximum driving pleasure. Pure joy!

thanks kuntakinte. I will be going up to genting later today. Will try the manual mode. Suppose to max out but with son besides me, not much i can do.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback mates !

All 3 of the units I stated comes with iDrive. 2 blacks and 1 white.
I'm trying to press the SA for a lower price. He offered 3k discount only and I'm trying to tekan him a lil bit more :)

And regarding the loan interest, is 2.6% lowest ? If I'm taking a 70-80% loan for 7/9 years what's the best rate did anybody here got ?

For your ref , 4mths ago i applied 80% loan, 9 yrs for 2.45%, rhb islamic

namidub;673612 said:
For your ref , 4mths ago i applied 80% loan, 9 yrs for 2.45%, rhb islamic

Thanks for the info bro. May I ask why didn't you use the finance from bmw malaysia ?

Top Bottom