Major problem for E90 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
kama;773394 said:
Just changed the water pump and thermostat today...early symptom is overheating sign (red colour) came up...when i was driving at 180 km..such a scary thing during that speed, then slow the car down and i drove another 5km to standstill...check the engine..coolant and water inside the water tank was boiling... .then after cooling down, top up water, no leaking...water level ok, start the car back...no sign whatsoever..so i drive slow...then next day brought the car to quill, diagnosed it was the water pump...it will on and off before it totally failed..suggested change the pump and thermostat...

bro kama,
can i know what year is your car? do you know whats the engine temp before overheat sign pops up? I always monitor the engine & radiator temp every time I drive to avoid overheating & engine temp should be below 100C for normal driving....occasional spirited driving will bring temp up to 110C, more than that I don't dare to try yet...

hi kolamp...mine built oct 2006, registered 2007. Basically coming to 6 yrs. You cant check the engine temperature, the temp on the dashboard is for outside temp, so no way to tell. Its wear and tear...

Bro, can you share your temp details as follows

1. traffic jam- idle
2. normal cruising 80km/h average
3. city drive
4. Highspeed - 120km/h and above
5. Up hill/mountain - Genting / Bukit Tinggi etcs

Many thanks

kolamp;773428 said:
bro kama,
can i know what year is your car? do you know whats the engine temp before overheat sign pops up? I always monitor the engine & radiator temp every time I drive to avoid overheating & engine temp should be below 100C for normal driving....occasional spirited driving will bring temp up to 110C, more than that I don't dare to try yet...

anaksarawak;773797 said:
Bro, can you share your temp details as follows

1. traffic jam- idle
2. normal cruising 80km/h average
3. city drive
4. Highspeed - 120km/h and above
5. Up hill/mountain - Genting / Bukit Tinggi etcs

Many thanks

Bro anaksarawak,

1. traffic jam- idle = 90-95C
2. normal cruising 80km/h average = 95-100C
3. city drive = 95-100C
4. Highspeed - 120km/h and above = 100-110C depend on how long you whack the car
5. Up hill/mountain - Genting / Bukit Tinggi etcs = 100-110C coz i whack my car :)

The highlighted are engine temp....radiator temp usually range from 80-105C depend on engine temp....hope it helps ;P

kolamp;773977 said:
Bro anaksarawak,

3. city drive = 95-100C
4. Highspeed - 120km/h and above = 100-110C depend on how long you whack the car
5. Up hill/mountain - Genting / Bukit Tinggi etcs = 100-110C coz i whack my car :)

The highlighted are engine temp....radiator temp usually range from 80-105C depend on engine temp....hope it helps ;P

Bro..u assessing this temperature from the hidden menu?..just read on previous thread that we can know coolant temp through hidden menu...

Seong393;773424 said:
My ride can collect tomorrow....previous owner just do a full service in AB for me...I think this ride will serve me good...haha

So have you collected your ride bro? How does it feel?

kama;774038 said:
Bro..u assessing this temperature from the hidden menu?..just read on previous thread that we can know coolant temp through hidden menu...

Bro kama,
I monitored it through my performance steering which display both temp reading :)

Thanks bro, do you monitor your coolant temp?

Is it at 105c on idle and dropped to 90-100c when the car is moving?

kolamp;773977 said:
Bro anaksarawak,

3. city drive = 95-100C

anaksarawak;774050 said:
Thanks bro, do you monitor your coolant temp?

Is it at 105c on idle and dropped to 90-100c when the car is moving?

No problemo bro...well on idle it depend on your engine temp if your engine are cold, eg.

water pump cost about RM1.6K if u purchase from BA.

i had the temp alarm popped up every time i did up hill before...its was the radiator partially clogged. Flushed it and cost me RM200 + new coolant. DONE

gendong;774039 said:
So have you collected your ride bro? How does it feel?

choq;774110 said:
wwwaaaaa...latest upgrade bro? kongratatt

Ya bro....feel good, I'm Toyota owner before this bimmer...really feel huge difference...

Just can say worth for money..haha...

The N52 really powerful engine....

Hope can join your all for the next TT...

same as mine..
i just bought e90 325i from one of the forummers..
as said by the previous owner, take the car n drive..
just need to change the front tyre from rft to non..

theres no big issues n problems, since the previous owner take a good care of his car.

kolamp;773977 said:
Bro anaksarawak,

3. city drive = 95-100C

My reading seems lower:

Normal drive 100C, may be i should try > 180kmh under hot sun...

kimi yap;774252 said:
My reading seems lower:

Kimi, your coolant temp seems on the low side which can result in high wear and tear of the engine [insufficient heat expansion] and inefficient combustion due to insufficient engine heat.

Your thermostat may have failed, broken, unlatched and resulting in permanent flow of coolant passing the thermostat at all time.

BTW, how u get engine temperature? The OBC reading is coolant temp ma.

kimi yap;774252 said:
My reading seems lower:

Like astroboy said, your coolant temp looks on the low side looking at your quote...engine should be ok I guess might be we're using different engine oil & viscosity....during cold start-up, my coolant temp will shoot up to 105C sometimes 108C to bring up the engine temp back to 80-90C range when the engine got the optimum temp...

Astroboy,
He might be using performance steering which indicates both engine & coolant temp....just my guess hehehee :)

Wahhhh seong bro....congrats for your new ride
Me just submitted the loan application yesterday...God willing, hope can get my 2006 E90 325i by next week
(praying damn hard for this huhuhu)
Year made is 2006 but reg in oct 2007...auto bavaria unit...yday went there to get the service records printed out...
Paying rm110k for that..
Hope would be able to be part of this family and sharing all the joys!

Top Bottom