E90 325i Sports

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
racheltoh;360522 said:
Msport / Traveller / Schwepps
Yup..mine definitely gone case. Now it is set to left. The mirror can still move when in D, P, R.
Will masuk hospital this Friday 3/Oct since IA said they are open.

Should be able to do it fast - I hope it's just reprogramming it and not some mechanical failure.

Another question: is our key battery operated?
last time i can click from afar n door unlock
now i hv to go near. does that mean need to change battery or the entire key????

Msports: will let u know the outcome. however they cannot do "fast" as they need to diagnosed the problem. so it will be more than 1 hour.

racheltoh;360611 said:
Another question: is our key battery operated?
last time i can click from afar n door unlock
now i hv to go near. does that mean need to change battery or the entire key????

Msports: will let u know the outcome. however they cannot do "fast" as they need to diagnosed the problem. so it will be more than 1 hour.

Rachel, all remote keys require battery. Now whether we need to change it or not is a different thing. I heard that our key's batteries are charged when driving (don't know how true is this), but if it's so, then it would be really great! :top: (I would need to use my spare key too. Else, that battery wouldn't be charged.)

Now, I wonder where and how does it get charged seeing no metal parts around it.

MSport;360700 said:
Rachel, all remote keys require battery. Now whether we need to change it or not is a different thing. I heard that our key's batteries are charged when driving (don't know how true is this), but if it's so, then it would be really great! :top: (I would need to use my spare key too. Else, that battery wouldn't be charged.)

Now, I wonder where and how does it get charged seeing no metal parts around it.

You don't need metal contacts to charge all types of batteries. Some batteries can be charged wirelessly. I remember watching a documentary about this electric car they use in a town in France. The batteries are charged whenever you park the car in designated parking spots all over the town. The charger is located underneath the car and charges the batteries wirelessly.

From: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20070530/133362/

The cables that once restricted electronic equipment are gradually being rendered unnecessary by wireless communication technology, and as circuits shrink, only the power cords and huge batteries continue to chain mobile gear down. At last new technologies are appearing, providing the means to cut these final chains, offering completely wireless power supply and charging. Diverse commercial applications are expected from the second half of 2007.

Research into using wireless technology to supply power to terminals began about a century ago, when the first electronics technology appeared, and it is finally beginning to be realized. It entered limited use about a decade ago, and is expected to see widespread use in everyday applications like mobile phone handsets and portable music players from the second half of 2007 through 2008.

Non-contact charging systems for mobile phones will go on sale in Europe in the second quarter of 2007, for example (Fig 1). This charging technology leaves a gap of a few millimeters between charger and handset, with no metal pins in contact. Motorola Inc of the US and other firms in the US are already developing mobile phones utilizing the technology. Apple Inc of the US applied for a patent relating to a non-contact charger for its iPhone, iPod portable music player and other products in February 2007, pointing up the high level of interest in the industry. In Japan, NTT DoCoMo Inc is actively developing similar technology, with the first prototype mobile phone supporting wireless charging developed in 2005. A variety of other technologies capable of pumping power to terminals over ranges of several cm to several m have appeared in addition to non-contact charging, with some of them expected to show up in illumination products before the end of 2007.

so coming back to my question...are my keys charged everytime i m driving??? or do I need to change battery? or is the frequency went "coo-coo"? cos i used to click/press the unlock about 10ft away. now i hv to go close to the door.

how often should we interchange our spare n current keys?

another problem i found....*sigh* holiday season..so a lot of time to analysis my darling.
there is a tick tock tick tock sound like a time bomb. cannot detect where is it from. i switch off the aircon, sound still there. i switch off the lights, sound still there. of course i mati engine, no more sound. most time, this sound occur in morning only.

This is the new age of low power RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) keys, starting in lux cars.

Firstly, your key fob is trickle-charged when it's in the slot, unless you have the Comfort Access option (which we don't) where the key remains in your pocket - then you have to change the battery occasionally.

Secondly, BMW leads in this field, with driver personal preferences and the car's VIN, service and other data recorded in the key fob each time you drive with it in the slot. The dealers download service data from your fob!

Thirdly, you must rotate using your 2 key fobs occasionally (at least once in 6 months, better more often) to keep them charged and the data current. I rotate my keys each week.

Fourthly, think of your key fobs as a sophisticated identification device (like you would your chip-passport, ATM cards, etc) as well as a memory device holding important information. Don't chuck them around like you would your previous low tech car keys and keep them away from strong electromagnetic fields.

We live in an age when everything of ours is being ID-ed remotely without touching terminals, regardless of the radio frequency band used - microwave, infra-red, bluetooth, etc. Think of your home remotes, hand-phones, credit cards, Touch & Go. Big Brother is watching and tracking you! :D

Rachel, try the other key fob and if both give the same result, tell the doctor when you go to the hospital this Friday. Your fobs may have become unsync-ed with your car or the batteries may be low or something. Easily fixed.

Time bomb sound, I got no comment. Did you offend anyone recently? :D

racheltoh;360715 said:
another problem i found....*sigh* holiday season..so a lot of time to analysis my darling.
there is a tick tock tick tock sound like a time bomb. cannot detect where is it from. i switch off the aircon, sound still there. i switch off the lights, sound still there. of course i mati engine, no more sound. most time, this sound occur in morning only.

Hi Rachel,

Just so happen I came across this on the E90 post about engine ticking sound.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

It a long thread but see if it's the same. If it is better go get it checked out ASAP esp for car from 2006 to 2008. Don't mean to scare you but prevention is better than the cure esp when your warranty runs out.

danc, thanks for the site. i managed to read the first page...and almost wanting to fall asleep. the sound is similar to what that guy faced. ie like 2 metals hitting each other, and its like "chips more"..now u hear it, now u dont type.. off n on. so i guess i will bring it to the dealer soon.

i just went out for lunch n was paying attention to the sound. wanted to record it. and when u want to hear it, its not there *sigh*

btw, i can rule out on the oil as i just top up 2 weeks ago.

thx

As for the charging of the key fob, I understand that every rechargable battery has life span, the more often we charge and drain the battery, the life span reduces, just like handphone battery with approx. 1000 x charging, after which, the holding power of the battery will reduce.

That means we should not hold our BMW for more than 5 years, otherwise, we must replace the key fob if it is no longer chargeable. Cars nowadays are not made to last !

Hi Rachel,

I assume the sound come from under the steering? And intermittent?

Can u switch the Air-Con to manual mode(ie. Auto light is off), and see if the ticking sound still there. Then try to swith back to Auto mode - if there is sound, then if is confirmed the sound is from the blower flap.

Cheers

After reading the post Danc gave on E90post on engine clicking I decided to run down to my office car park and record my car idling... No bad ticking as the samples I heard in the thread but not silent either hmm.

Zounds okay wat E46F. Except for that heavy breathing or snorting in the middle of the recording...was that you or your steed? :D

Anyway, I think it's time for you to upgrade to an Alpine 325i Sports or 335i or M.

wllchan, noped. not the aircon. i did as u said..

e46...dont seem to have any loud sound le.... mine is really tick tuck tick tuck...ok will try to record it..

racheltoh;360985 said:
wllchan, noped. not the aircon. i did as u said..

e46...dont seem to have any loud sound le.... mine is really tick tuck tick tuck...ok will try to record it..

rachel, is the sound coming from the steering column and usually in the mornings before the car gets warmed up?

i was following the post about the ticking sounds fromthe e90 forum. conclusion was its quite common on some cars. in some cars the sound goes away after a while, but in others the sound is loud and permanent. basically from bmw the cause is the tappets (as far as i know), and wont really damage the engine they say. but u never know. if under warranty i think they can be repaired FOC. its a known issue in the US. happens mostly on 325 and above. theory is that the engine oil is not really reaching the tappets properly. its a design flaw :(

My darling left ear will be replaced. Motor rosak...*tsk tsk tsk*

As for the sound, kao tim. no more

Few days more..get your car checked for free & get voucher :p

Wllchan, noped. they didnt. actually i didnt ask them. However after monitoring for 1 week, really no sound already. Very pleased

Saw the latest batch of E90 325i Sports at Ingress. Its draped in M color looks like Montego Blue as what Schwepps said (he must have a good relationship with your sales lady to get this inside info).

Photo203.jpg

Also the 320i Exclusive now comes is the wonderful Arctic color which we haven't seen on CKD E90's here before. My fav color!

Photo204.jpg

I guess BMW is trying to refresh the lineup before the facelift. Hence the new colors!

i saw one 325i M-Spok in sungai besi AB with carbon fibres accessories like spoiler, rear fender lip and front fender lip and etc etc...look very garang...

Top Bottom