CKD E90 differences

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Spaceman. Your last 7 digits are: KU***** ?? Looks like a Munich build.

This is what I have so far...

Digit 11 of your VIN is the plant code.

A, F, K Munich
B, C , D, G Dingolfing
E, J, P Regensburg
L North Carolina USA
N South Africa

If anybody has another number/code it may be Leipzig. They're still adding new codes...

KL2DC, your replies to posts are as awesome as Liepzig. You have a message for each post, stay on message, and weigh in with deep facts. I'm quite sure you’re in marketing communications :)

Thanks for the article on the BMW AG philosophy shift. Interesting direction they’re contemplating, but I hope they do it well and don’t dilute their Luxury Performance aura. "The Idea Class" space is already occupied by Volvo and Saab. If they execute it better or differently than the Swedes, well and good. Otherwise they risk copycatting them.

I suppose they need to do something different in the US to capture share and maintain their high growth, but Volvo is "soccer mum", and you can’t or don’t want to beat Saab in the hippy stakes. It's only Infiniti and Acura they need to fend off and I would like to think they can do that with a dab of the accelerator and an exhaust roar.

I also hope they're not seriously going for Baby Boomers with anything other than the 7s and Xs. I mean, Baby Boomers are pushing sixty! George Bush and Tony Blair are Baby Boomers. That's Lexus-land! Please keep appealing to the X and Y gen!

Anyway, back to the farm, I’ll not be posting for a while, although I’ll come back and check for the latest news once in a while. I thank all of you for the education you've given me while I played out my urge to get the cheque book out. Nothing like a spirited debate with peers to come to a decision. I’ve decided to wait for anything up to a year to see if the packages available here are better.

My aspirational target is still a 325, but at the moment what’s available isn’t strong enough to suck out the cheque book. The CBU is a good buy at the current price but it's tainted by the 6 month sunbath in Port Kelang. (But if they dropped another 40K....) The CKD is found wanting for 289k. (But if they included iDrive and 18” staggered 161s shod with 255s....) I live in hope for the 2nd CKD batch.

Sorry BMWM and AB for being so particular, but this would be MY car. The wife can have the E260, and the driver can do the Sri Cempaka run with the XC90. The 3 would be this aging X gen-er’s last sizzle before settling quietly into a Lexus :)

It’s been fun y’all! Talk to you again, if and when I have my 325.

Schwepps: Leaving already, we were just getting started....:D

Just wanted to share once again, how much I have enjoyed your posts/response. They were very well thought up and articulated, not to mention enlightening. I wish you all the best in your car search/hunt. Sometimes doing the research is half the fun....I researched for 1 whole year before deciding on my e90 and I believe that time was well spent as I definitely learn a lot.

I believe you may have made the right decision in waiting at this juncture. With MY2007, comes about new changes. In the U.S. the 325i moniker is defunct as the 328i e90 is heralded in (same 3.0l N52 engine but with 15 hp more). Additionally, the 330i is being replaced by the 335i. Expect similar changes in the e60 line up. I certainly welcome the return of the 535i name plate back to the 5er stable. Also, I hope by the time you are ready to pull the trigger, BMW AB would have constituted the addition of that Sport model we talked about...that would be a more fitting model for you.

All the best and don't be a stranger.

Regards,

Donny

See? Always the perfect message. And the FACTS! Ahhhhhhh......!

I will be checking back often but will resist the urge to comment. But knowing you, you'll say something that makes me.....type.

One last question and I hope you don't mind my asking: are you Malaysian or no?

A thought just crossed my mind about the CBU models that were sitting at the POE for months.

Are the talks about exposure and damage to acid rain/environment sound? BMW ships these cars with a heavy coating of wax or cosmoline. This is to protect the cars in transit, as they make their way across the oceans despite the fact that they are contained in the holds of the specialized RoRo shipping vessels. Actually, at one point they did experiment with enclosing/sealing the entire car in some sort of a giant zip lock bag but that was deemed uneconomical.

Anyways, back to the subject of cosmoline:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From wikipedia:

Cosmoline is a yellowish, light-amber, or greenish colored ointment-like mass, having a slight fluorescence, petroleum-like odor and taste. It is similar to petroleum jelly in properties, appearance, and thickness. It is the purified residue obtained from the distillation of petroleum oils.

Chemically, cosmoline is a homogeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It can range in color from white to yellow, and can differ in viscosity and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113°-125°F and has a flashpoint of 365°F.

Its most common use is in the storage and preservation of firearms. Previously, cosmoline was used to preserve other things. Objects the size of entire vehicles could be preserved for future use with cosmoline.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the VPC/VDC, cars that are prepped undergo a hot water shower (hohmeire) to wash away the cosmoline from the car body and nooks and crannies. Sometimes not all of the cosmoline is washed away, that's why you sometimes get streaks after a car wash or a burning smell from the engine when new. Other things done at the VPC includes programming (cars are shipped in shipping mode which cuts RPMs and speed), removing shipping blocks from suspension, body/paint touch up etc. All these prep work is done right before release to dealers/customers.

More reading materials on the VPC process here:

http://www.offworld.com/e46/images.html
http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

So, as mentioned...just food for thought.

I don't think so. You're obviously a cosmoline coloured Martian :)

G'night Donny.

One of the things that surprised me when the E90 320i was launched in M'sia was that the M'sian market model (CBU then) did not have basic things like cruise control, CD changer, underbonnet insulation, interior reading lights and vanity mirror lights, all of which can be found in the most basic of the E46s sold in M'sia.

So the E90 in CKD 320iSE guise now has cruise control. Does it also have a CD changer, underbonnet insulation, interior reading lights and vanity mirror lights?

I could of course check these things in the showroom but I trust someone out there has the answers already. Thank you.

David Yong said:
CKD 320iSE package is the same with the CKD 325i

i assume you're referring to everything else apart from the engine?. you sure about that?

safri said:
i assume you're referring to everything else apart from the engine?. you sure about that?

Yup, everything is the same except for the rims and engine of course. Additionally the 320iSE is with side rear side window blind wherelse not on a 325i.

KL2DC said:
As mentioned, unless you go for the type 162, e90 wheels always look very tucked in at the back (look at it from front 3/4 angle). On my 156s, the 15mm increase in rear track, fills in the rear fenders more convincingly (more flush) and its a decent aesthetic mod for USD 120.

KL2DC - am happy to update that I had 15mm spacers installed 2 days ago and it does make the whole car "sit" nicer, even on the original 17" type 159 ..... for a fleeting moment, I did contemplate changing the tyres to another make with a more square sidewall but in the end decided against it, for reason of avoiding unnecessary wastage. I think the current setup will keep me happy for some time.

Many, many thanks for the helpful tip earlier!! :)

Equalizer said:
KL2DC - am happy to update that I had 15mm spacers installed 2 days ago and it does make the whole car "sit" nicer, even on the original 17" type 159 ..... for a fleeting moment, I did contemplate changing the tyres to another make with a more square sidewall but in the end decided against it, for reason of avoiding unnecessary wastage. I think the current setup will keep me happy for some time.

Where did you do it ?

Equalizer said:

Awesome! Happy to hear that the spacers worked well for you...hope you got the correct length lug bolts? Did you notice any difference in handling? Play around with the front air pressures to dial out some understeer with the new slight increase in rear track.

Please share pics of mod. Best view, imho is square on from the rear, you can clearly see the rear track increase.

spacers2.jpg

KL2DC, my tires are 225/45/17 and the pressure I pump in is 220 for front and 260 for rear.... is it correct ? Or any good pressure recommendation ?

David Yong said:
KL2DC, my tires are 225/45/17 and the pressure I pump in is 220 for front and 260 for rear.... is it correct ? Or any good pressure recommendation ?

Shoot we're working with different units, will need to check.

I just topped up my tires at 34/38 (psi??) for my high speed run to Atlantic City last Saturday, car tracked very well at 120mph speeds :D even in the wake of Tropical Storm Ernesto.

For my road rally run a couple of weeks ago, I dialled up the front as much as 35 for a 35/36 setting.

Top Bottom