E90 High Beam can't off, all lights flashing after I lock the car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
An Audi is the same as a Merc or BMW bro...chock-full of electronics. Japs generally have less frills, but are creeping that way too.

It was the mobile technician who asked you to try unplugging and plugging the battery wasn't it Morganl? Sounds like he didn't want to go out on a public hol and encouraged you to DIY, never a good idea with today's lux cars. You should put in an official complaint about him.

I think the Helpdesk did the right thing and recommended towing it to the service centre. That would have avoided all the troubles you subsequently had.

Schwepps;353149 said:
An Audi is the same as a Merc or BMW bro...chock-full of electronics. Japs generally have less frills, but are creeping that way too.

It was the mobile technician who asked you to try unplugging and plugging the battery wasn't it Morganl? Sounds like he didn't want to go out on a public hol and encouraged you to DIY, never a good idea with today's lux cars. You should put in an official complaint about him.

I think the Helpdesk did the right thing and recommended towing it to the service centre. That would have avoided all the troubles you subsequently had.

Well.... call me kampung boy or something like that as I'd never actually get my car 'towed away' because 'the high beam can't be switched off'. In the old days, all we need to do is to replace the fuse, that's all.

Well, lesson learnt now. Next time, if I can't on my radio, I'll make sure I call BMW and ask them to tow my car away.

I'll also remember to print a nice banner "3 months old BMW having electronic problems and needs to be towed away, do you like to own 1 now?" and fly the banner all the way from my house to the workshop.

Morganl,

I sympathise with your situation. My E90 is 10 months old, and thank God no problems so far. Even before i bought my UDM i've ben advised (mainly by non-beemer owners) that the car can be erratic & costly to own, the reputation for Beemers & Mercs to end up being towed away is legendary in this country. Maybe its sour grapes by those who can't afford the cars, i dunno, but i still went ahead cause it was my dream car. Basically when it works, it runs like a dream, my opinion is that no Japanese car can match it in terms of driving pleasure, but when it gets cranky.....watch out. Don't be disheartened by this experience & get turned away from BMW's, it still the Ultimate Driving Machine in every sense. The only thing that really failed you is the service levels by AB. Thats the main problem in this country, wonderful infastructure & great technology being brought in, but not enough human competency to service them properly. I also considered the Audi once, great car, but when i realized that Euromobil is part of EON....and therefore more or less one in the same as the company that services Proton cars, i decided no point, i might as well buy a Perdana V6 if i wanted it serviced by EON folks. Unfortunately we have to live with the lousy service levels, especially by AB, thats the main problem for all of us.

Morganl;353110 said:
Except that:

1. The car sterling is locked, and u can only move in a straight line, no left or right turn

2. The car can't be start when the car sterling lock signal is on (Red Light).

Hmm good point. One of our forummers did warn us to drive straight to the svc center when the Key Lock Fault starts to light up before it totally ceases (red light). He had to "tow" it to the dealer once the Red lock fault happend but I wonder how they did it with the steering locked.

Anyway, glad the car is finally being worked on. Amazing how a small simple possible fuse problem could lead to so much chaos in the car with stuff being fried etc. Eek. Next time this happens to any of our E90's your experience will be remembered :)

Most people don't like to tow or flatbed their cars because it implies completely konked. On the other hand, I tend to flatbed my car when there is the slghtest hint of major trouble. :) I don't like to risk further costly damage.

I don't think it was a simple fuse problem E46F. It was a primary I/O board failure and there's nothing for it but to replace the module. What they meant by checking the fuse was that the correct temporary cure would have been to find the lights fuses and remove them, thus avoiding draining the battery flat. Then the car could have been driven into the service centre instead of having to be manhandled and then towed. None of us thought of that to advise Morganl when he first posted his problem. THAT'S the thing to learn from this episode.

Update #9:
=========
Today was too busy with customer and regional sales meeting, thus don't have time to update this forum.

Managed to escalate the poor service issue to AB MD office and got directed to AB Sg Besi branch Manager. Spent 1 hour+ explaining to him on the chronological of events and his response is that this is not really his fault because the mobile support team is not his team and he promise to write an email to the Glemarie Branch Manager and copy me on that.

few hours later, and I still don't see any emails, so I'd decided to give the friendly Branch Manager a call for updates and he promise to send the email out shortly.

1 hour later and I saw the email in my mailbox. 2 hours later, and it's already 5:30pm and still no response so I'd decided to give the MD office a call again and they promised the Glenmarie Branch Manager will give me a call back tomorrow.

Basically I'd complaint on 4 issues:

1. When the first AB mobile technician provide me remote advice on 04pm 31-Aug-08, he should not had given me a DIY solution of unplug and replug of the battery as this potentially creates more problem should the electronic is already suffering malfunction. When I switch off the car before I unplug the battery, all lights are switched off and no warning signal appears on screen. It was only after I'd unplug and replug the battery that the problem become worst (all lights fail, and subsequently all lights on and can't be switched off). For this, I blame them for their insufficient technical know-how with a trial & error approach in problem solving and poor service attitude of telling me that I'd gotta wait for hours before they can come on-site (he was in Old Klang Road and I was in Sentul West LRT) thereby pushing me to DIY instead of letting a "Professionally Trained" AB Technician to handle the situation.

2. When the situation turned from bad to worst, the AB Mobile Technician should had immediately come on-site to provide assistant instead of telling me to go home before sunset and wait for the next available business day (which is 40 hours away). For this, I blame them for their non-existen service mindset to give all sort of excuses to deny service provision during a public holiday.

3. When the AB Mobile Technician came on 02-Sep-08, he should not had employed brute force technique (by repeatly kicking the bottom of the dashboard, pedal, brake areas and banging the sterling) in his attempt to solve a critical electronic problem. Although he managed to solve the lights problem, but my concern is if AB solve all electronic problems like this? Why bother bout plugging the car into a laptop to diagnostic, next time just bring a hammer!! For this, I really don't know what to blame them as even their Branch Manager are speechless for such electronic problem solving techniques on a BMW.

4. I waited from 08:00am of 02-Sep-08 until 15:30pm of 02-Sep-08 just for them to bring the car back to AB Workshop, and the main obstacles behind this long delay is actually due to the reason that the Sterling is locked and thus u can't manuever the car and thus can't load it into the flatbed. However, once the car is unloaded in AB Sg. Besi, the technician spend like 10-15 minutes under the rain and they managed to unlock the sterling although the sterling lock red signal remains. Why didn't the mobile technician possess the knowledge to unlock the sterling lock and thus save us so much hussle, not to mention that the under carriage of my car was scratched and damaged due to them dragging my car with a hydraulic jack. For this, I blame them for their poor knowledge transfer management and training program. This could be due to the reason that their key staff attrition rates are too high and they are unable to fill in suitable candidates with the right knowledge at the right position.

Anyway, gotta start cleaning up my piles of work now thanks to AB for wasting 1 1/2 days of my valuable time.

oh yea, before I forgot, AB Sg Besi only has 3 coutersy car, and according to the branch manager, BMW is an expensive car, thus they can't be standing by 20-30 BMW just for coutersy car as in their peak season, they'd got 40++ cars coming in (to quote the branch manager, not just for services if you know what I mean).

Update #10:
============

Got the car back today after AB Sg. Besi replaced the primary I/O board + battery around 5pm. Been promised that the issue has been resolved with the fixed.

While going back from Dinner @ Puchong, went through a few road bumps, and guess what....

THE HIGH BEAM IS ON AUTOMATICALLY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOUBLE SIGNAL LIGHTS ARE MALFUNCTIONS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Here the whole stories goes again..... Dejavu!!!!

Bro Morgan, I feel for you.

You are back to square one, my gosh...!

Call AB SC immediately to get help, before you face the similar encounters again.

Poor Morganl. :( The fried I/O board was a symptom, not the cause then. It's something else causing it, eg. a short somewhere in your wiring loom or something like that. Best to leave the car in the workshop until they find it. Insist on a courtesy car or get them to pay for a hire car. This is bad enough to kick it all the way up to the MD of BMWM.

Until it's found, the problem won't go away, so don't rush it.

At least this time the problem is similar to the initial 1st encounter where when I off the engine, the lights can still be switched off. called AB and they will try to diagnose the problem again tomorrow morning when I send my car over to them.

I was thinking to upgrade to 5 series within the next 2 years, that plan is now scrapped completely!!!!!

morgna...u're car might be a lemon. since its only a few months old, demand for a new car. tell them u pay quarter of a million for a working car, not a flashing car. :)

I beg your pardon ramsing, but I don't think it's kosher to say someone's car might be a lemon without knowing what's wrong with it.

If it's an electrical/electronic problem, it can be easily fixed by replacing the component, wiring, switch, etc, that's failed. Something fixable does not make a car a lemon, and it certainly won't be replaced by the seller.

Don't be disheartened Morganl. I've had a car before that had to have its entire wiring loom replaced because the exact location of the short couldn't be determined. It took a week, but once done, it was fine. The engine, gearbox, chassis, brakes and other more important parts of the car never went wrong. Only the wiring loom was defective, and it wasn't a lemon. :top:

Update #10:
==========

Got a new demo car as courtersy car yesterday and send my car in for full diagnostic. By middle of the day they gave me a call and told me that they were able to pinpoint the problem with the help of their technical expert from HQ (I presume this HQ means Germany), and narrow it down to another 2 other electronic components, 1 would be the light switch board, another one is called leg something, also related to lights control.

They were able to simulate similar problem on my car that I'd experience by doing some tweaking on the connectors of the 2 boards, and they had unplug those 2 eletronic boards from my car and fix it up onto another car and will try to reproduce the fault on the road over the weekend. This was done so that they don't put mileage on my car for the testing and to confirm that the problem was indeed caused by the 2 additional faulty boards to eliminate the possibilities that this problem is caused by something else such as wiring problem on my car.

I would say that this is indeed the kind of troubleshooting techniques and service that Auto Bavaria customers should had enjoyed right from the beginning. No more pushing the customer here and there without anyone taking full ownership of an issue until it is resolved. Now I'm giving the 5 series upgrade plan another thought, subject to me still in Malaysia by then.

Let's see what is their finding on Monday. Based on how swift they were able to reproduce the fault, I hope all these nightmares will finally be gone by next week.

HQ i think is meant to be BMW Malaysia. i know they have one techie there. My problem car was checked by that guy.

The possibilty of 3 PCB failing at the same time is very slim. Replacing the faulty boards would only serve to solve the problem temporary. I would request for whoever is doing the diagnostic to determine the root cause rather than just replacing the faulty boards as you may not know when the problem would come back again.

Just ask why did 3 printed circuit boards failed at the same time ?????

Hope that your car has been fixed satisfactorily this week, Morganl. So was it confirmed to be a faulty light switch/control module? You mentioned that they changed your oil & filter in advance for you in another thread. Did they do anything else to appease you? :)

Schwepps;354062 said:
I beg your pardon ramsing, but I don't think it's kosher to say someone's car might be a lemon without knowing what's wrong with it.

If it's an electrical/electronic problem, it can be easily fixed by replacing the component, wiring, switch, etc, that's failed. Something fixable does not make a car a lemon, and it certainly won't be replaced by the seller.

Don't be disheartened Morganl. I've had a car before that had to have its entire wiring loom replaced because the exact location of the short couldn't be determined. It took a week, but once done, it was fine. The engine, gearbox, chassis, brakes and other more important parts of the car never went wrong. Only the wiring loom was defective, and it wasn't a lemon. :top:

for me its simple. if i buy something new, and it breaks down after driving for a month, what else can i say? it might not be according to the 'lemon' definition, but its close. morgan was really patient. but going through the hassle of spending time n effort to fix something which shouldn't have happened, it does makes a bitter pill to swallow. :wink:

ok, since schwepps is spanking me bottom for calling it a lemon, i'll change to tangerine. at least hopefully after the bitter taste, you'll be able to enjoy the sweetness morgan. hopefully this time they'll sort out your problems for good, and you can enjoy d car. :)

cheers.

my car was a lemon. after 3 weeks it became jerky. i demanded to change engine. after so much delay i demanded a new car. :)

racheltoh;356543 said:
wah! bimmerdude...so did u get a new car?????????

yes i did Maam. i figure that if i bought something new and its faulty, i am entitled to either a refund or replacement. sounds fair doesnt it? :45:

Top Bottom