E90 LCI Daytime Lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I have it ON only when cruising at highways during daytime...seems to help alot as many drivers can notice me coming fast behind them..wont do that much of flashing unless if its necessary..Back in the city i just turn it off as in many occasion people starts to remind me that i have my lights ON..

Back in 1992, my Saga 1.5L Megavalve had its wiring altered to allow the little triangle fender lights switch on whenever the ignition key is in 'ON' position.. yes, very visible even in day time and in covered car park. Easier for bikers to notice u and make way before you arrive. :D :D

astroboy;507643 said:
You want to be noticed la.. that's why the motorbikes too switch on their headlights.. for the humble me, its for safety reason ma.. :p

I buy BMW not for "Look at me" reason, that's why I picked a black one.. :p

I thought buying black is the look at me factor, black, sleek and sexy (kidding). I have the habit of turning on the light at sep 1 (Interior Display lights and Corona rings on) for safety in moving in and out of the parking bay and allows me not to bother about lights during days time if the clouds are nore clear. The ones that honks usually drive japanese or protons anyway, as they dont understand to the DRL.

It's amusing to read why people flash and tell you your driving lights are on! It's not as if you are parked and forgot to turn off your lights.

Daytona;511441 said:
It's amusing to read why people flash and tell you your driving lights are on! It's not as if you are parked and forgot to turn off your lights.

Exactly! People should be flashing those who forgot to switch on their lights at night instead. There's always a joker or two every other week who likes to drive around in the dark at night. Don't these people look at their dash gauges and realise that their lights are OFF?

Traveler;511463 said:
... Don't these people look at their dash gauges and realise that their lights are OFF?

The newer generation cars come with meters that will lit up even during day time because you can't see a thing on the speedo without back light. So even if they didn't switch on head lights, their meter cluster is still lighted. Only clue is their central dash will be dark. But radio will still be lighted regardless..

I saw a new Porsche 911 SC with LED DRLs shining at noon last Saturday. It really doesn't fit a supercar to have DRLs on. Fits safety-conscious family-oriented Volvos (where DRLs first started) :)

Schwepps;507700 said:
DRLs started in the Scandinavian countries where the winter months are long, and the ambient light is low even in the daytime. It makes sense in those Arctic Circle countries, and Russia and Canada. It hardly makes sense in latitudes where the sun is virtually overhead.

If it's really safety that causes you to switch on your DRLs, then good for you. But be honest with yourself WHY you switch them on. Also think what other road users here think of you:
1. Neutral - don't care
2. His lights got problem
3. He doesn't realise he left his lights on
4. What a dork! (me)

If your real reason for having them on isn't safety, it kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it? Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Schwepps,
I do understand where you are coming from, and I agree on that aspect. I also think that turning the DRL on especially when travelling on trunk roads, or where the roads have lots of tall trees, overcast weather, etc, we shoudl turn the DRL's. Having said that, no matter what, the fact remains, if the DRL's are switched on, for whatever reasons....other drivers will take notice, so it can be for good where other drivers know you are coming and aware of your presence, hence, everyone will be more cautious and hopefully reducing the chances of an accident....the other side to it is exactly what Schwepps has shared. :top: :)

My DRLs are my 6K HID Fogs. The Corona Rings/ Angel Eyes are way too dim in day time...i mean the Pre-LCi ones..

Just discovered that we can adjust the angle of the headlights. The initial (factory) angle is on the low side and didn't get wide distribution. ( My wife's Jazz seems to give wider and longer distribution!) This is a problem when going fast on roads where we don't really know the surface. and recently the left side seemed to spot lower where I can see a long diagonal band close to the front panning to the right.

So browsed E90post forum and discovered the unit can be adjusted.
The tip was about 2 turns CCW for passenger side and 1 turn CCW on driver side so as not to blind the incoming traffic.
So much brighter now, and in fact you can adjust left and right angle too.

tip - if you are lighting road signs brightly, then it is too high. Also can test by sitting in an opposite car.

Btw, I don't switch on DRL but turn the switch to the left (A). make more sense to lit automatically as going into penchala link tunnel, covered carparks, heavy rain and approaching dark.

I have my DRL on during the evenings, drizzling rains, traveling up and down highways and low light conditions, DRL is to help your car to become more visible, that's what it is for, if the other cars noticed you whether they think you have not switch off your lights or show off or etc, the DRL worked, so that the other drivers noticed where you car is and not crash into you. my 2cents

Also, with voice activation, press and mention " Lights" it'll bring you straight to the DRL menu, skipping the part having to turn the idrive knob many times to get to the function, making it more accessible. if only they make the shortcut buttons applicable to it as well rather than just for media functions. BMW is adding these features to improve safety on the roads, anything that improves safety, is a plus to me.

Mun;572679 said:
Just discovered that we can adjust the angle of the headlights. The initial (factory) angle is on the low side and didn't get wide distribution. ( My wife's Jazz seems to give wider and longer distribution!) This is a problem when going fast on roads where we don't really know the surface. and recently the left side seemed to spot lower where I can see a long diagonal band close to the front panning to the right.

So browsed E90post forum and discovered the unit can be adjusted.
The tip was about 2 turns CCW for passenger side and 1 turn CCW on driver side so as not to blind the incoming traffic.
So much brighter now, and in fact you can adjust left and right angle too.

tip - if you are lighting road signs brightly, then it is too high. Also can test by sitting in an opposite car.

Btw, I don't switch on DRL but turn the switch to the left (A). make more sense to lit automatically as going into penchala link tunnel, covered carparks, heavy rain and approaching dark.

There is a standard spec for each model to adjust the high/low of your beam, i wont compare with other cars since theirs might be wrong too, or different height. i just did on my last service with AB very very satisfied :top:

sharp;572962 said:
spaceman, then its time for u to fit HIDs in ur corona rings

To power up corona rings in HID involves lotsa modding, it aint worth the dough man! The end result will not as bright as Audi's LED. The HID Fogs are my DRLs and its freaking bright during day time..:top:

Hi, mind to share where you bought the HID fogs? It it a whole new fog lamp altogether or is it just the ballister that you've changed?

Thanks

spaceman, current HID for corona rings are plug n play, no modifications needed

sharp;573208 said:
spaceman, current HID for corona rings are plug n play, no modifications needed

oh is it? Show me pls...so long never keep track of little mod in aftermarket thread liao...

Top Bottom