E90 BMW 325i vs Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi everyone,

I thought this should be the right time to give my response. I was too busy absorbing all the great review/information from all the sifu here. Just try not to interrupt the discussion/argument/conversation.

After going through all the posts from all the sifu, thought i should summarise my understanding as follows (please correct me if i have misunderstood):

Audi
1) Better accelaration/more responsive (low rev turbo engine)
2) Better built quality and material used
3) Cheap for a CBU Germany car - double warranty period
4) AWD - no one could dispute when comes to road gripping and cornering
5) More electronic gadgets
But
1) Low resale value
2) Less fun due to AWD/FWD charateristic
3) Due to be replaced by A5 in 2008 (only coming to Mal in 2009?)

BMW
1) Higher resale value
2) Quieter (Audi loud Turbo engine)
3) More spacious rear seat.
4) Better braking
5) Brand conscious?
6) To be replaced in 2010/11.
But
See area that Audi do better.

Other subjective area
1) Handling?? (depends on how well you know the characteristic of your wheel)
2) Look - exterior?
3) Interior design?

Conclusion

We have less concern about the resale value and in the same time want to get a best car from our current budget. Which one should we go for?

Remember seeing in one of the 5th Gear (or was it Top Gear) episode in which they compared the perceived prestige of a few top cars, namely Jaguar, Benzi, Beemer, Lexus IS and Audi. The Lexus did better than Audi which was last....:eek:

flash;235945 said:
Remember seeing in one of the 5th Gear (or was it Top Gear) episode in which they compared the perceived prestige of a few top cars, namely Jaguar, Benzi, Beemer, Lexus IS and Audi. The Lexus did better than Audi which was last....:eek:

I remember that one...it was 5th gear..
There was another episode which put the e90 against the IS and the final verdict was that the IS is the "Gentleman's Choice" :smokin:

Oh Hi RGKID you are back. I am not sure if Msia speced A4 has more electronics than E90. One thing for sure, the "electronic gadgets" in the E90 as focused more towards making the E90 drive easier and maybe a little more rewarding?

As for your conclusion, you mentioned that if resale was not important and since both cars are around the same price i.e. A4 Quattro vs E90 325. You still need to answer what you are really looking for in a car, which I think we have given our POV. (over 4 pages).

As for me I was in almost the same predicament when I was deciding. I love the way the A4 looked but didn't like the ride. So I went with the blue and white roundel and till now I have never looked back and enjoy every moment of it. (except when the car goes through some teething problems) Even with that to me this is one of the best car I have driven for a long time....... (within my budget of course)

RGKID;235934 said:
Hi everyone,

We have less concern about the resale value and in the same time want to get a best car from our current budget. Which one should we go for?

I was in your exact shoes 2 months ago, I had a complete open mind on which car to go for (I have always like Audis and attended few of their Quattro Experience Driving events), but at the end I've chosen the E90 for the following reasons:

1. Better handling
2. Sweeter engine
3. It's a new model, not due to be replaced soon
4. I had another car that gives me the low rev torquey feel.

Is BMW still offering the 3 year maintenance programme? Don't think Audi is offering that, just 2 years' warranty but no free service. Also I think buying a new BMW you get the advance driving training course ;-)

bmFIVE;235974 said:
I was in your exact shoes 2 months ago, I had a complete open mind on which car to go for (I have always like Audis and attended few of their Quattro Experience Driving events), but at the end I've chosen the E90 for the following reasons:

1. Better handling
2. Sweeter engine
3. It's a new model, not due to be replaced soon
4. I had another car that gives me the low rev torquey feel.

uncle5 must change nick to uncle3!!!

flash;235945 said:

True. But it was biast considering the polls were only conducted in the Uk. Brits will always view Germans as being less prestigeous.

From a neutral perspective, german manufacturers have done more for the automotive industry than any British Marque including - RR, Triumph, Lotus, Jaguar, MG, TVR, Rover, Aston Martin, half of which are now foreign owned or bankrupt, and none of which are represented in todays premier car event - F1

I suggest that prestige is not only about history and granduer, but also very much dependant on reliability. By all accounts, this has been and will continue to be the achilles heal of the british motor industry.

MANAMOHAN;235853 said:
I also think the the BM straight 6 engine thing is over-hyped, any old Cefiro V6 is smoother.

Quite a bold statement :rolleyes: . Old Cefiro V6's are well........ old. Big heavy, and making peak torque in the high 4-5k rev band, and also underpowered when it came to hp/ltr by today's standards . Current N/A run of the mill non-M BMW workhorse I6 engines are hitting very good HP/Ltr figures for their new engine lineups (e.g N53 3.0 ltr @ 272hp) with the new design principles, like low emissions, lightweight, and low rpm peak torque figures.

While achieving these, the smoothness and character of the BMW I6 remains to be the icon for other manufacturers to follow. Hard to dispute that, by the number of accolades and awards BMW engines receive each year.

E46Fanatic;235981 said:
Quite a bold statement :rolleyes: . Old Cefiro V6's are well........ old. Big heavy, and making peak torque in the high 4-5k rev band, and also underpowered when it came to hp/ltr by today's standards . Current N/A run of the mill non-M BMW workhorse I6 engines are hitting very good HP/Ltr figures for their new engine lineups (e.g N53 3.0 ltr @ 272hp) with the new design principles, like low emissions, lightweight, and low rpm peak torque figures.

While achieving these, the smoothness and character of the BMW I6 remains to be the icon for other manufacturers to follow. Hard to dispute that, by the number of accolades and awards BMW engines receive each year.

Yup, BMW I think won 5 awards for Engine of the year 2007 and for the 2.0-2.5 liter, it's no other then the N52B25.

OSFlanker;235975 said:
Is BMW still offering the 3 year maintenance programme? Don't think Audi is offering that, just 2 years' warranty but no free service. Also I think buying a new BMW you get the advance driving training course ;-)

BMW offers only 2 years warranty as opposed to Audi's 4 years. See my comparo.

AB is no longer offering ADT on purchase of new cars.

bmFIVE;235987 said:
BMW offers only 2 years warranty as opposed to Audi's 4 years. See my comparo.

AB is no longer offering ADT on purchase of new cars.

oic, my dad's audi only 2 years warranty (purchased pre-CNY this year). How about Sapura, do they give ADT?

RGKID;235934 said:
Hi everyone,

I thought this should be the right time to give my response. I was too busy absorbing all the great review/information from all the sifu here. Just try not to interrupt the discussion/argument/conversation.

After going through all the posts from all the sifu, thought i should summarise my understanding as follows (please correct me if i have misunderstood):

Audi
1) Better accelaration/more responsive (low rev turbo engine)

I believe the Quattro (auto) sprints to the century at about the same time as the E90 325i auto. More HP on the BMW, but more torque on the turbo 2.0. My guess is after 100km/h, the BMW will slowly pull away due to less drive train losses and the 18 extra ponies? Just a guess. I couldn't find published 1/4 mile time and trap speeds for both which should tell us how these cars perform past 100 km/h.

However, there should be a lot more potential to up the ponies on the A4's turbo engine...if you are going to play with mods.

I think BMW is offering 3 years warranty and 2 years or 60k kms service inclusive which covers everything except for tyres related matters.

Am not going to give much details or insight talk here...

My bro-in-law driving a A4, I am driving a BMW325i...

Whenever I going out, the thought of getting the A car is never there... I always thought of getting the B car cos it always give me a new feelings whenever I am behind the wheels... A don't give me the urge to get on it... Don't know why... HaHa... Maybe is the handling ba... But I am darn sure the B gives me a very very different feelings compare to all the car I have driven before... Including the Evo9... SO MUCH FUN WITH THE B!!!

So do tell us which one you have choosen, k? HeeHee...

Hi all.....

We have decided on A after the second test drive. My heard says B but just that the package offered by A is too difficult to resist and A is the car we are looking for.

RGKID;236699 said:
Hi all.....

We have decided on A after the second test drive. My heard says B but just that the package offered by A is too difficult to resist and A is the car we are looking for.

Glad you made up your mind. What was the irresistable package offered by A if you dont mind sharing?

I've driven both cars several times and personal observation:
1. A4 looks great
2. A4 4-pot engine vibrates quite badly at idle and when revved.
3. A4 ride quality is rather harsh
4. In-line six engine is much smoother through entire rev range
5. 3er handles much better - well balanced.

Top Bottom