e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
JC_BMW;777398 said:
Hey Lee 36328,
I totally agree with you on your driving pleasure from your old faithful one..

During my long and patience search for a e39, I found this 325 1994 5 weeks ago... http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/album.php?albumid=454
I was amazed with the driving pleasure ..especially with its 6 cyclinder 2.5cc, its silky smooth acceleration.
Can't resist its value for money.. took it back home.. and pampered her.. with new Italian leather seat cover and some parts :) :biggrin: (which was prudently suggested by BM World). I like him (ah wai)..he wouldn't simply suggest parts replacement.

Sorry to have ride on your threat.. got too excited with the 18 year german tech..

No problem bro. Welcome to the pleasure of the ownership.

Spare part prices remain the same as the car depreciates. So, many owners would rather trade up than keep up with the cost of maintenance. But those who decide to navigate the 'hump' in the cost of major wear and tear part replacement (gearbox, engine rebuild, chassis refresh etc) will prolong the life of these remarkable machines and have many years of relatively trouble-free enjoyment ahead.

Looks like you found a good buy there, congrats.

The thing about the cars is, there's always something to do, something to bring the car back another notch, paced according to our budget and interest. (And it really helps if your mechanic is highly familiar with the car and can advise accordingly.)

For example, I just added a replica M3 lower lip to the rear bumper. And now, every time I look at the car from behind, I grin like a silly boy. :love:

Meanwhile, as a moving project that is perpetually unfinished, it continues to serve and please faithfully.

Enjoy.

Lee36328;777782 said:
No problem bro. Welcome to the pleasure of the ownership.

Spare part prices remain the same as the car depreciates. So, many owners would rather trade up than keep up with the cost of maintenance. But those who decide to navigate the 'hump' in the cost of major wear and tear part replacement (gearbox, engine rebuild, chassis refresh etc) will prolong the life of these remarkable machines and have many years of relatively trouble-free enjoyment ahead.

Looks like you found a good buy there, congrats.

The thing about the cars is, there's always something to do, something to bring the car back another notch, paced according to our budget and interest. (And it really helps if your mechanic is highly familiar with the car and can advise accordingly.)

For example, I just added a replica M3 lower lip to the rear bumper. And now, every time I look at the car from behind, I grin like a silly boy. :love:

Meanwhile, as a moving project that is perpetually unfinished, it continues to serve and please faithfully.

Enjoy.

Are you a write of some sort? :41: Very eloquently put.

Last sunday, the steering got jamned when want to start engine. try to turn but it wont move. Call the machanic and they got it release and drive home late nite.
Next day change the steering lock and it cost me 750 for new part. drive back happily with knowing it will last for more than 5 years.

musa ...i had that years ago and i solved it with a rm15 silicon spray ...you just spray into the insert key coloum area ...twist it a few times and violaahh it worked like a charm ...never had any issues till now ..

best is to spray some silicon to lube the key pin groves for preventive maintainance ...

ICEMAN 68;807754 said:
musa ...i had that years ago and i solved it with a rm15 silicon spray ...you just spray into the insert key coloum area ...twist it a few times and violaahh it worked like a charm ...never had any issues till now ..

best is to spray some silicon to lube the key pin groves for preventive maintainance ...

Ice,
it's not the key.. the mechanical part in the steering locking housing broken and jamned inside .
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_SUSstr_pg1.htm

ICEMAN 68;807754 said:

hai iceman,
what kind of silicon spray that you use? My AC compressor got sound already.. any idea whats the fault?

The Rebirth

Did you ever have that major project on your car that you kept putting off and putting off, waiting for just the right time and opportunity that seemingly never arrives? And while you wait, the car accumulates more issues and yet somehow continues to tick along, bruised but not broken?

I am amazed how much wear and tear and abuse my car has undergone and how long it held up while I busy getting my life back in order.

And now that the owner has been reborn, I figured its time to give the car a new lease of life too.

The list of things to do is long. Here's some of the things I am looking at.

1. gearbox rebuild - long, long overdue. I am amazed the car continues to run for so long in 'limp mode' with the gearbox warning light permanently on.
2. long shaft - somehow I managed to compromise this, maybe related to the gearbox.
3. bodywork - almost every panel either needs replacement or touch up, too many dents to count (some of the guys who've seen me on the road will know what I mean, it was like a bumper car at amusement parks).
4. rear struts tower - since I am rebuilding, and I bought the proper parts, might as well replace my previous custom-made reinforcement plates with the original plates; this involved cutting out the old struts tower and spot-welding the new one in its place.
5. new leather reupholstering for the front seats - I have literally worn holes on my current seats already.
6. new M3 bumper and side skirts (a note of appreciation to the friend who provided me the sideskirts) - some cosmetic enhancements is always nice.
7. replace the wiring harness - am still considering this.. should I or shouldn't I?
8. rim refurbishment - finally the technology is where I feel comfortable they can do a proper job.
9. rear spoiler - keeping my fingers crossed that the type I want can be sourced.
10. new paint job - completely top to bottom, engine-out, color replacement. Not just for aesthetics, but also to help fight against rust.

And that's just off the top of my head. I am sure I am missing some details.

Will post some pics as the work progresses.

Thanks for reading.

Lee36328;822329 said:
Did you ever have that major project on your car that you kept putting off and putting off, waiting for just the right time and opportunity that seemingly never arrives? And while you wait, the car accumulates more issues and yet somehow continues to tick along, bruised but not broken?

I am amazed how much wear and tear and abuse my car has undergone and how long it held up while I busy getting my life back in order.

And now that the owner has been reborn, I figured its time to give the car a new lease of life too.

1. gearbox rebuild - long, long overdue. I am amazed the car continues to run for so long in 'limp mode' with the gearbox warning light permanently on.
2. long shaft - somehow I managed to compromise this, maybe related to the gearbox.
3. bodywork - almost every panel either needs replacement or touch up, too many dents to count (some of the guys who've seen me on the road will know what I mean, it was like a bumper car at amusement parks).
4. rear struts tower - since I am rebuilding, and I bought the proper parts, might as well replace my previous custom-made reinforcement plates with the original plates; this involved cutting out the old struts tower and spot-welding the new one in its place.
5. new leather reupholstering for the front seats - I have literally worn holes on my current seats already.
6. new M3 bumper and side skirts (a note of appreciation to the friend who provided me the sideskirts) - some cosmetic enhancements is always nice.
7. replace the wiring harness - am still considering this.. should I or shouldn't I?
8. rim refurbishment - finally the technology is where I feel comfortable they can do a proper job.
9. rear spoiler - keeping my fingers crossed that the type I want can be sourced.
10. new paint job - completely top to bottom, engine-out, color replacement. Not just for aesthetics, but also to help fight against rust.

Thanks for reading.

Bro..welcome back, please continue writing...the club is dying, we are starving for tips & technicals even fairytales....the forum is no longer what it used to be years back, full of life.....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Lee36328;822329 said:

Thanks for reading.

nice write up bro.. thats UDM at its best i would say , my 36 is running for almost a year with my rear axle noise but still the car never puts me down on highways :)
enjoy the journey bro , do keep posting up when u eventually start "ur project" ..

Thanks for the interest, guys.

My mistake, I did not make it clear, the car has been in the workshop for 3 weeks already. Will post up some pics soon of the work in progress.

Some initial pics...

IMG_0053_zps2fc34c90.jpg

Engine-out job.

IMG_0051_zps26c2bf8f.jpg

German panels.

IMG_0061_zpseb471e7e.jpg

Re-upholstered front leather seats already in...

IMG_0046_zps3d7c436e.jpg

Old rear shocks tower cut out, and new shocks tower spot-welded in.

IMG_0039_zps60c050f5.jpg

IMG_0037_zpse7ff25b9.jpg

bro may I know where and roughly how much to re-upholster the leather seats? my car seats are worn already

kitt;824061 said:
bro may I know where and roughly how much to re-upholster the leather seats? my car seats are worn already

Pls check it out with Raymond, of Raymond Motor Works. I am not sure, because I have not received the bill yet, but I know it's a few hundred bucks per chair. From what I could tell, the workmanship was quite good.

Slide;824153 said:
looking good lee!

Thanks bro! Nice to hear from you again.

So, the saga continues...

Before sealing...

IMG_0037_zpse7ff25b9.jpg

After sealing...

CSC_0954_zps9822838b.jpg

Very detailed work, I must say.

Before sealing...
IMG_0043_zps5ebc14a0.jpg

After sealing; I'm no expert, but it looks to me like almost factory-quality. Not bad, I am satisfied.
CSC_0952_zps7621d489.jpg

Courtesy of a young man in a Proton Saga with malfunctioning brakes at a traffic junction, picked up this little scar, which I did not realise how much was involved in order to remedy it.

IMG_0455_zps9a42b9f0.jpg

In order to fix it, the entire tail light panel must be cut out...

IMG_0070_zpsa6236cf8.jpg

And replaced with this. Managed to find a brand new panel, very rare nowadays... I got lucky.

IMG_0066_zps494d6d6b.jpg

After installing.

CSC_0982_zps1addcfc9.jpg

CSC_0983_zps9b8c4a6b.jpg

Inside view of the carefully detailed work...

Inside left side.

CSC_0958_zpsd3b97532.jpg

Inside right side.

CSC_0966_zpsd9adfa5f.jpg

Been living with that damage for some time, until it got all rusted as you can see. Luckily, the entire panel can be replaced and managed to find a new replacement. So, all good.

Top Bottom