e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
2wenty6;643768 said:
I remember buying 2 of them for about $11 total, and a quick check shows that the price is still the same

http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.aspx?keyword=31312489795

Factor in shipping and you could still probably get it for cheaper than RM100.

Ask another parts vendor perhaps..

Hurmm... How about we go for a group buy? Anyone else interested in getting the reinforcement plate???

Galaxy7;643830 said:
Hurmm... How about we go for a group buy? Anyone else interested in getting the reinforcement plate???

Count me in, group welding session as well ;)

5150 - airborne?! welcome back to terra firma tho

No problem, if there's interest, I can arrange group buy and group welding for those who are keen.

Those who choose to go down this path won't regret it.

My car has begun to settle down.

Turned out Ah Ming forgot to balance my rear wheels (one of the rear rims was swapped to the front because I put the two best rims in front to minimize vibration.) So, went back there, got the rear wheels balanced, and the remaining vibration and noise are greatly reduced.

Took it to the NKVE cutting through the rock hills and down via the back of Kiara/Hartamas today to test the car. Superb balance and steadiness, giving increased confidence going into corners.

Point to note, with the reinforced rear shock tower, the chassis will feel slightly firmer going over bumps. Those who appreciate a firm chassis will love it.

Lee36328;643606 said:

Wow, that is a dramatic accident. Glad to see your post here, and to hear you are recovering well.

I can only imagine what would have happened if you were not in a BMW.

At the workshop, one of the boys' e36 is also totaled, T-boned by another car at the driver's side. He was unscathed, thanks to the structural bar in the door.

Don't worry, take your time, recover well, and when you get another e36, I'll be most happy to hook you up with the workshop to get your car into tip top shape.

Cheers.

Mr Lee,

Thank god i've been blessed to be the owner of another BMW. This time it's an 1997 E36 328i, got it just 1 day before puasa. On the same day after finish changing ownership at JPJ, straight away sent it to my mechanic for there're some maintenance works that has to be done. Well i got it quite cheap anyway.

Got it back 1 week before Raya, and now am enjoying it :rock:

Mr Lee, can u send me ur hp no? bcoz i like to contact u to do the rear strut tower reinforcement job like what u did!

Thanks!

328 guys, care to share what mods you make for your m52b28 engine? anyone change the manifold to the m50b25 unit? how much and where did you do it? any complications in terms of space in the engine positioning? I guess any workshop can do this? : )

wah, i just realised that the tread has been inactive since last year........come on...i hope you all still keep these nice e36 and not upgraded...

My friend did the M50B25 intake manifold on M52B28 mod...

Not sure if done correctly (very reputable mechanic though), after that you definitely get more high power but the smoothness, low end power delivery and response in general feels a little bit odd.

Test drove a stock 328 and both of us preferred the original.

So, unless you want all-out power at high rpms and are willing to sacrifice a little low end response, power and smoothness, suggest to keep the stock 328 manifold...

Complications involve rerouting all the hoses underneath, which may require new hoses, and a custom bracket to fit the M50 manifold. Total cost ~RM1k - 1.2k I think...

PS.

The same friend went on to put M3 Euro exhaust manifolds on his car (banana type) and a higher flow rearbox, now low end power REALLY koyak but power kicks in at 4k rpm like VTEC. Dunno what to say! :D

Have not visit here for long time, I just renew my roadtax, got a new registrations card..my E36 is officially 20 years old but still going strong.
epalced my brake pad for front and back,replace timing belt and some bearing..now enjoying the comfort of riding it.
I am looking for workshop that can check my exhaust pipe..seems a little bit of noisy generated from a small hole,but have yet to find any,can anyone advice me where have workshop repairing exhaust pipe ?

zeroed;741220 said:
My friend did the M50B25 intake manifold on M52B28 mod...

Not sure if done correctly (very reputable mechanic though), after that you definitely get more high power but the smoothness, low end power delivery and response in general feels a little bit odd.

Test drove a stock 328 and both of us preferred the original.

So, unless you want all-out power at high rpms and are willing to sacrifice a little low end response, power and smoothness, suggest to keep the stock 328 manifold...

Complications involve rerouting all the hoses underneath, which may require new hoses, and a custom bracket to fit the M50 manifold. Total cost ~RM1k - 1.2k I think...

PS.

The same friend went on to put M3 Euro exhaust manifolds on his car (banana type) and a higher flow rearbox, now low end power REALLY koyak but power kicks in at 4k rpm like VTEC. Dunno what to say! :D

you cant just put in the manifold and headers without doing a remap.
done properly, you wont want to drive a stock car anymore.
i recommend a unichip setup on a dyno.
i did it and think the results are amazing.

Wow! It's been a while, and it's good to be back, reborn.

Meanwhile, the car is beginning it's rebirth too, gradually as the wallet would allow.

Fan clutch, aux fan, rear bearings, ouch, ouch, and ouch! But Raymond was very kind, meticulous, and gentle, so many thanks, Raymond!

And rear tires were absolutely shot. Even the white fibres under the rubber were showing - I was shocked. No choice, budget or no budget, had them changed.

Next up, over the next several months or so...

1. gearbox rebuild - yes it long overdue
2. bodywork
3. change color! (Wanna guess what color I'm thinking of? :wink:)

That already would set me back quite a bit, better start saving now.

But at more than 400k km, am amazed at how good the car runs when wear and tear is kept at bay. Not cheap, don't get me wrong, but the solid feel, smooth torque, and drivability continue to put a smile on my face. Amazing after all these years, that it's still a pleasure to own and drive.

Nice to be appreciated, thank you for all the thank yous above guys.

Meanwhile, my apologies for the long absence, and I see I've racked up a few posts to respond to. So let me catch up below...

5150;668489 said:
Mr Lee,

Thank god i've been blessed to be the owner of another BMW. This time it's an 1997 E36 328i, got it just 1 day before puasa. On the same day after finish changing ownership at JPJ, straight away sent it to my mechanic for there're some maintenance works that has to be done. Well i got it quite cheap anyway.

Got it back 1 week before Raya, and now am enjoying it :rock:

Mr Lee, can u send me ur hp no? bcoz i like to contact u to do the rear strut tower reinforcement job like what u did!

Thanks!

My number sent to your PM bro.

Daniel E30;738606 said:
wah, i just realised that the tread has been inactive since last year........come on...i hope you all still keep these nice e36 and not upgraded...

Yes, still keeping and running quite well. So used to it, not tempted by other cars, even though the new 5 series i tested was like a magic carpet ride... smooooth. And the M3 CSL, oh boy, what a MONSTER! SNARL! Never a dull moment. And the 335, neck-snapping turbo torque with the slightest right foot twitch.

But the old faithful, sigh... fits like a well-worn glove.

musashi;745594 said:
Have not visit here for long time, I just renew my roadtax, got a new registrations card..my E36 is officially 20 years old but still going strong.
epalced my brake pad for front and back,replace timing belt and some bearing..now enjoying the comfort of riding it.
I am looking for workshop that can check my exhaust pipe..seems a little bit of noisy generated from a small hole,but have yet to find any,can anyone advice me where have workshop repairing exhaust pipe ?

If you are in Klang valley, I can recommend.

Faithful driving machine..

Hey Lee 36328,
I totally agree with you on your driving pleasure from your old faithful one..

During my long and patience search for a e39, I found this 325 1994 5 weeks ago... http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/album.php?albumid=454
I was amazed with the driving pleasure ..especially with its 6 cyclinder 2.5cc, its silky smooth acceleration.
Can't resist its value for money.. took it back home.. and pampered her.. with new Italian leather seat cover and some parts :) :biggrin: (which was prudently suggested by BM World). I like him (ah wai)..he wouldn't simply suggest parts replacement.

Sorry to have ride on your threat.. got too excited with the 18 year german tech..

Lee36328;777350 said:
Yes, still keeping and running quite well. So used to it, not tempted by other cars, even though the new 5 series i tested was like a magic carpet ride... smooooth. And the M3 CSL, oh boy, what a MONSTER! SNARL! Never a dull moment. And the 335, neck-snapping turbo torque with the slightest right foot twitch.

But the old faithful, sigh... fits like a well-worn glove.

Top Bottom