e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Lee36328;609777 said:
Aw, now you tell me.

Where to get it done, and approx how much?

Hehe..Pricing I'm not sure. Some leads below:

1) http://ceramicocoating.com
2) Only got contact : H/P : 6012-907767
3) Alpine Speed Motorsport Part Galone
13, Ground floor, Jalan Dagang SB 4/3
Taman Sungai Besi Indah, Seri Kembangan
( shop lots opposite mine wonderland shopping centre )
Tel no 03-8948-3264 or 016-216-2668 ( Jason Leong )
4) PM Calvin Tan or AlBundy for some leads.

I believe prices varies from the above. Make a comparison and good luck. Do keep us posted on the outcome.

Why My Aircond Is Freezing Cold Now

A few months back, my aircond started losing its cooling ability. Everything was checked and when suspected, replaced.

Still it was like a sauna in there.

I gave up trying to change parts, thinking it might be the heat coming from other sources like my transmission tunnel (I need to get the aluminium heat shield) or the uncovered speaker slot in the rear parcel shelf (speakers removed to allow sub woofer to power through.)

Then, I started getting the rough noise of the leaking exhaust manifold, until it finally cracked.

I could feel a lot more heat from the undercarriage as I step down from the car because the hot exhaust was escaping from the crack in the manifold.

That can't be helping the aircond system, I thought. Maybe that's why the aircond is still not cold despite various new major parts.

After installing the new manifold, I cleaned the aircond filter and topped up the aircond gas.

And walah!

Car is now like a freezer. A feeling I have not felt in the longest time, an almost forgotten feeling. Who says continental car air conditioning can't handle the Malaysian weather? :rock:

Seems the leak must have started a long while back, raising the temperature in the engine bay beyond the aircond's ability to cope. The leak was small and grew so gradually it went unnoticed for a long time until my engine lost power and became noisy recently.

So, lesson learnt.

If your aircond is struggling, and you've checked every aircond part, don't forget to check for micro leaks from the exhaust manifold. Don't rush into changing expensive items like cooling coil, compressor, etc before checking for micro leaks from the exhaust manifold.

Now, where did I put my sweater?

And by the way, it probably also explains why my car tend to overheat before this. And I thought it was the radiator.

M52 exhaust headers tend to crack because it's so thin. You got it rewelded?

ALBundy;610395 said:
M52 exhaust headers tend to crack because it's so thin. You got it rewelded?

I was told the exhaust manifold need a special welding, otherwise it will crack again easily even u weld them.

bmw7833;610530 said:
I was told the exhaust manifold need a special welding, otherwise it will crack again easily even u weld them.

Yes, because of the heat it has to withstand. I can confirm this because I put on temporary welds while waiting for the parts to arrive. The welds did not last long, but it did help reduce the leak down to more bearable levels.

The car is now smoooth and hummming. Wow! I have forgotten how creamy the torque is. Still addictive after all these years.

The next time my car overheats (touch wood) or the air cond starts to fail (double touch wood), I will also check the exhaust manifold.

7.png

Lee.. also the exhaust is next to the air-con pipes from the compresor running next to it..it's always the case.

pussy;612346 said:
Lee.. also the exhaust is next to the air-con pipes from the compresor running next to it..it's always the case.

Hey bro, nice to hear from you.

No wonder, my car is like a freezer now.

:cool::cool::rock:

Rear Absorber Housing busted! Reinforcement kit to the rescue

Many years back, I obtained the rear subframe reinforcement kit from Turner motorsport.

I would later think it was an unnecessary purchase, because my rear subframe was fine.

Recently, I discovered that the rear absorber housing is starting to give way due to age.

I recalled I had the reinforcement kit stashed away somewhere.

Many hours later, after turning the store room upside down, I found them.

susp_e36_rsubframe_kit_lg.jpg

These babies are going in...

Can you imagine how firm the car will feel going through corners with these things installed?

Oh man. :rock::rock::rock::smokin:

Watch this space for progress reports!

Lee36328;612375 said:
Hey bro, nice to hear from you.

No wonder, my car is like a freezer now.

:cool::cool::rock:

yup, need yhe cool air these days too...

i m fine, will have to meet up on a tt...

Lee36328;613168 said:
Many years back, I obtained the rear subframe reinforcement kit from Turner motorsport.

I would later think it was an unnecessary purchase, because my rear subframe was fine.

Recently, I discovered that the rear absorber housing is starting to give way due to age.

I recalled I had the reinforcement kit stashed away somewhere.

Many hours later, after turning the store room upside down, I found them.

susp_e36_rsubframe_kit_lg.jpg

These babies are going in...

Can you imagine how firm the car will feel going through corners with these things installed?

Oh man. :rock::rock::rock::smokin:

Watch this space for progress reports!

Would be great to hear from anyone who's done this or something similar to it before as well.

Correction - Subframe reinforcement kit

My bad.

That is the reinforcement kit for the subframe mount.

The absorber housing is a separate issue. I am making my own reinforcement kit for that.

Now, considering whether or not to install these babies while I am at it....

After all, most of the same stuff (absorber, exhaust, etc) are coming down for the weld anyways.

Hmm.....

Might as well. I believe those subframe reinforcement pieces require welding right?

Lee36328;613196 said:
My bad.

That is the reinforcement kit for the subframe mount.

The absorber housing is a separate issue. I am making my own reinforcement kit for that.

Now, considering whether or not to install these babies while I am at it....

After all, most of the same stuff (absorber, exhaust, etc) are coming down for the weld anyways.

Hmm.....

I had this installed for the rear absorber housing reinforcement:
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...ear-top-mount-reinforcement-for-E30-E36-46-Z3

Top Bottom