e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Lee36328;602201 said:
On top of that, now I got to beware even when on the road.

I was in Taipan when the traffic stopped because a car was pulling out and someone in front wanted the space. The a queue soon formed behind that car.

A few seconds later, I felt a bump. The car behind bumped into me. Really? After stopping for so long? You could not even pay attention and control the car when traffic was not moving? What kind of a sap are you if you can bump into a car when traffic is stationery?

So, I came down and gave the guy a piece of my mind. Not for me, but for the benefit of other drivers in front of him in the future, just to make sure this lesson is retained in his barely functioning brain cells.

And this coming not long after a teenage driver crashed into my rear at the traffic lights. He claimed he lost the use of his brakes. More like the use of his brain, I think. Again, not paying attention. The father came, and tested the brakes; it was fine. My car was slightly dented in the corner, nothing broken. The Proton Saga looked like it hit a wall, smashed headlight, crumpled fenders, bumper dropped to the ground.

So guys, be careful out there, but sometimes, there's nothing you can do if the other driver is not paying attention.

I feel you. My car was also bumped at the back at a traffic jam, crawling into Ayer Keroh toll last Christmas. The best thing is, the fler behind only came out of the car after I did. Although no scratches nor dent, the fella didn't even apologise to me.

John_Smith;602367 said:
I feel you. My car was also bumped at the back at a traffic jam, crawling into Ayer Keroh toll last Christmas. The best thing is, the fler behind only came out of the car after I did. Although no scratches nor dent, the fella didn't even apologise to me.

Aiyah, feel sorry to both of you...and that's how most of Malaysian drivers' attitude nowadays ;(. Hope JKJR & MIROS launch a new campaign to improve this...well, it could avoid accident as well (if everybody drives calm & happy, no marah2 or maki2)...hmmm

And just before CNY, I was queuing at a traffic light in front of Sunway when suddenly, "Whack!" A motorbike swiped my left side mirror and hit the mirror completely off. I went to pick it up and it was completely cracked. The bike disappeared of course.
Now I remember why I did not install expensive M3 side mirrors.

Interestingly, I found that there's two wires connected to the mirror. It heats the mirror up to prevent fogging. When you drive, try touching the mirror. It will feel warm. I did not know that.

Such an old car, still impresses me with its technology until today. Remarkable.

Aiyahhh...again? So, u celebrated cny with new side mirror...or w/o one side? Maybe it's time to get the M3 style..now cheap oledi ;)
I'll try to touch it soon...hope mine also warm as yours, unless it's not working laa.

p/s - But I'm sure u'll maintain the ori look ;)

Lee36328;605826 said:
And just before CNY, I was queuing at a traffic light in front of Sunway when suddenly, "Whack!" A motorbike swiped my left side mirror and hit the mirror completely off. I went to pick it up and it was completely cracked. The bike disappeared of course.
Now I remember why I did not install expensive M3 side mirrors.

Interestingly, I found that there's two wires connected to the mirror. It heats the mirror up to prevent fogging. When you drive, try touching the mirror. It will feel warm. I did not know that.

Such an old car, still impresses me with its technology until today. Remarkable.

Yea but most of the heater element on the mirrors would have already spoilt by now. I remember checking mine a long time ago when I read about the heater function on the side mirrors and they no longer work.

alangbuana;605830 said:
Aiyahhh...again? So, u celebrated cny with new side mirror...or w/o one side? Maybe it's time to get the M3 style..now cheap oledi ;)
I'll try to touch it soon...hope mine also warm as yours, unless it's not working laa.

p/s - But I'm sure u'll maintain the ori look ;)

The shops were closed already, because it was FT day before CNY. So I was a one-eyed jack for CNY.

M3 style cheap? Ori how much? Can consider.

I just touched the mirror again (I am surfing in the traffic jam) and it was really hot; careful not to burn your fingers if you touch it.

loafer;605850 said:
Yea but most of the heater element on the mirrors would have already spoilt by now. I remember checking mine a long time ago when I read about the heater function on the side mirrors and they no longer work.

Really? Mine worked until the bike slammed into it.

When I changed it, I was asked whether to use ori or OEM. OEM cheaper because it comes without the heating element. I chose ori of course. Can't have one side warm and clear and one side foggy when the weather is cold.

Fresh New Parts For My Ride - Exhaust Manifolds

These babies finally arrived on special order.

Check out the size of the welding.

The exhaust manifold has been leaking for a while. These parts took some time to arrive, and today, they are finally here!

Being installed as I post this. :rock:

The old makes way for the new

The previous parts have served me well, but it's time to retire them.

You can clearly see the crack here.

Glad to see this thread. I think I am bitted by the e36 328 bug. Now driving a e39 523 and in need of a second car. Been looking around for an e36 328 but so far, the car proves elusive. Went to a dealer in Shah Alam. Of course the dealers advertsied as tip top condition. Saw the car and noticed that one of the rims is the spare rim and the condition was less than desirable!

Went to another dealer in Jalan Genting Klang after being told that the car was still available. Drove all the way there and was told that the owner took it home!!! sigh..went straight to another dealer in Taman Cempaka Ampang. The salesman said the car is in pristine condition. Lo and behold, he could not start the car. Replaced the battery and still cannot start the car. Told him to fill up the pterol and wah la!!! Car started but sounded like motorboat and notice white smoke from engine/engine bay!! lol....told him to fill up coolant/water. Needless to say..i walked off!

Well, i guess I will have to perserve to find a good condition unit...:)

Advocates,

Yes, the e36 328 can be addictive, especially if you've tasted its wonderful torque right from the bottom of it's rpm all the way to the top. Very useful in overtaking, especially in our local traffic.

I think you might have better luck if you look for a car being sold directly by the owner, especially if the owner is a car fanatic. Sounds like those that end up in dealers are usually there because a major repair has come up and the previous owner felt it was not worth the cost required to keep the car in running shape.

Good luck in your search.

ICEMAN 13;609605 said:
the exhaust manifold locally made or imported ??

berapa $$$ ....?

Original from Germany bro.

As you know, I don't talk $$$... because it would cause me too much heart pain to remind myself. Ori price, so....

Le e36 328 Goes Beyond...

And for the first time in this thread, we go High Definition!

Here are the pipes just before they went in.

[video=youtube;hlDrMnO4bdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlDrMnO4bdo[/video]

Click on the bottom right icon to go full HD.

Ceramic coating before install would be better. Nice stuff there !

Hi Lee,

Yes I agree. In fact I seldom buy from dealers unless it is a very good unit. They usually promise heaven and earth and deliver hell to you later! lol...owned several used cars before and most of the cars are bought from direct owners...hope can join this club of e36 328 soon! :)

pardypeople;609757 said:
Ceramic coating before install would be better. Nice stuff there !

Aw, now you tell me.

Where to get it done, and approx how much?

Despite The Strong Welding, The Exhaust Manifold Eventually Cracks

Here's how the old manifold cracked despite the sturdy German weldings.

[video=youtube;iBSoRR40_zQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSoRR40_zQ[/video]

The E36 manifold very easy to crack. My old E36 had the same problem. The main culprit is the design of the exhaust system. Unlike FWD JDMs, there's no flexi hose along the pipe, so every twist of the engine is torturing to the manifold, more so when the rubber brackets hanging exhaust system is harden and restricted the room for the exhaust system to twist with the engine.. it's join just going to be a recurring problem.. no cure.. :(

astroboy;609804 said:
The E36 manifold very easy to crack. My old E36 had the same problem. The main culprit is the design of the exhaust system. Unlike FWD JDMs, there's no flexi hose along the pipe, so every twist of the engine is torturing to the manifold, more so when the rubber brackets hanging exhaust system is harden and restricted the room for the exhaust system to twist with the engine.. it's join just going to be a recurring problem.. no cure.. :(

Well, in my case, it cracked after almost 14 years and more than 400k. So, I would not describe mine as easy to crack.

It is worth pointing out however, that repairing the manifold via the standard method of welding indeed does not last long. This is because the type of material and method of welding employed cannot withstand the intense heat and pressure that the manifold goes through, especially if only welded from the outside. Taking it out and welding both inside and out may help somewhat, but nonetheless not a permanent solution.

Which is why I decided against repairing it, and replaced both of them once and for all. Although pricey, if it lasts as long as the first one, I can't really complain. :top:

Top Bottom