e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Sounds good & logical to me . Will try it tomorrow a.m . Guess there are still good thing in life / mods are still free . Another good e.g is the debaffling of the air filter .
Did that - it really does make a difference .

Thanks bro !

My 11 year ride too has lost a significant amount of torque. very noticeable during drive on normal traffic conditions. high speed runs are still pretty good. im going to give it a try too first thing in the morning.. thx for the usefull info Lee

cheers...

megatniza;325285 said:
Sounds good & logical to me . Will try it tomorrow a.m . Guess there are still good thing in life / mods are still free . Another good e.g is the debaffling of the air filter .
Did that - it really does make a difference .

Thanks bro !

You're welcome Megatniza. Let me know whether it made a difference.

sachseelan;325291 said:
My 11 year ride too has lost a significant amount of torque. very noticeable during drive on normal traffic conditions. high speed runs are still pretty good. im going to give it a try too first thing in the morning.. thx for the usefull info Lee

cheers...

Sachseelan,

Having good high speed runs but lousy torque in normal traffic are things we have in common. The clue is the high speed run; it is consistent with the concept that the car adapts to our driving style, reserving more torque for when the pedal is to the metal, at the expense of partial-pedal levels during traffic. After resetting, it goes back to more torque at partial pedal, and less spectacular pick up at speed (the top-end torque levels remain the same of course, just whether you get there faster or slower.)

Do bear in mind, the ecu will re-learn and go back to its old self after a few high-speed runs. Can't have the best of two opposing worlds.

Just had a feedback that it worked on an e46 that tried this. Let me know how it goes with your ride. Thanks.

Morning Lee,

Did it yday, YES... can feel the difference on the pedal straight away!!!

And guess what, to my surprise the gearbox being faulty in S mode that i've been bitching about is working fine, until now at least:rock:...(see link below). Still a little early to conclude i guess. But usually within a minute or so the gearbox light will pop-up when i push it hard on S mode. This morning, on my way to work, she was roaring in S mode all the way to Bangsar, looking good so far. Will keep on trying and update you if the problem still persist...

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19579

Made my day bro...thx for these great tips. Now only lazy to reset the clock and Audio setting's, hahaha..still bitching, aint I?? Anyway worth all the effort...:top:

Happy Wesak Day...Cheers

Bro Lee & Sachseelan ,

I hereby testifies that my UDM has got a new life . Did the thing . WD40 & general
clean up on the cables & connectors , left it for 1 hr & voila !
It now starts smoother , sounds better & definitely feels lighter .

mucho gracias , do mo arigato , merci beaucoup , tze tze & terimakasih !!!

hi,
yesterday i clean my airfilter... then i remove airbox and things... then i remove AFM.... and it surprised me to death... i spot there is mosquito stuck in that thing... and i'm thinking to clean it... i think using air jet to blow through afm or wd40 is not great idea... anyone clean afm before? may i know what type of cleaning method to clean afm?....

until now i still workout how that mosquito can reach inside afm... strange... :(

sachseelan;325575 said:
Morning Lee,

Did it yday, YES... can feel the difference on the pedal straight away!!!

And guess what, to my surprise the gearbox being faulty in S mode that i've been bitching about is working fine, until now at least:rock:...(see link below). Still a little early to conclude i guess. But usually within a minute or so the gearbox light will pop-up when i push it hard on S mode. This morning, on my way to work, she was roaring in S mode all the way to Bangsar, looking good so far. Will keep on trying and update you if the problem still persist...

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19579

Made my day bro...thx for these great tips. Now only lazy to reset the clock and Audio setting's, hahaha..still bitching, aint I?? Anyway worth all the effort...:top:

Happy Wesak Day...Cheers

megatniza;325781 said:
Bro Lee & Sachseelan ,

I hereby testifies that my UDM has got a new life . Did the thing . WD40 & general
clean up on the cables & connectors , left it for 1 hr & voila !
It now starts smoother , sounds better & definitely feels lighter .

mucho gracias , do mo arigato , merci beaucoup , tze tze & terimakasih !!!

Guys,

Thanks very much for posting your feedback. It's indeed good to know.

Sachseelan, good luck with your gearbox. My gearbox shift felt smoother too, which I suspect is due to the smoother torque somehow (not very scientific explanation yet, will need more research, which is why I did not mention it previously...) Do keep us posted of your gearbox outcome.

Megatniza, good to hear it worked so well for you.

Remember guys, the car continues to learn. So, after a period of hard driving, it may re-learn the old habits again...

Zul_84;326041 said:
hi,
yesterday i clean my airfilter... then i remove airbox and things... then i remove AFM.... and it surprised me to death... i spot there is mosquito stuck in that thing... and i'm thinking to clean it... i think using air jet to blow through afm or wd40 is not great idea... anyone clean afm before? may i know what type of cleaning method to clean afm?....

until now i still workout how that mosquito can reach inside afm... strange... :(

Maybe you pushed your 328 so hard, you hit the mosquito at full speed and the poor bugger punctured your air filter...

Or it flew into the thing the last thing your AFM was left open...

how to clean AFM?

Lee36328;326375 said:
Maybe you pushed your 328 so hard, you hit the mosquito at full speed and the poor bugger punctured your air filter...

Or it flew into the thing the last thing your AFM was left open...

hi,
no worries about that mosquito anymore... maybe my previous paper filter koyak before upgrading... the thing on my head now is how to clean afm... anyone clean afm before? may i know what type of cleaning method to clean afm? with hi-pressure air? with oil? with petrol? water? ......?

morning guys,

Gearbox was all well until today. Sadly, this morning took it for a spin, switched to S mode and stepped on the pedal hard...within seconds, as i released the pedal, hang again:thefinger:. So i guess, gearbox problem need more study. Other than that gear changes are all smooth and nice on E mode. On another thread regarding this issue, fellow forummer "megatniza" said it was his ECU expiring(not sure what this really means) and replaced it wt a used one and all fine for 2 years now. Need more advice and info from him. Will update you boys...

Sad Sunday,
cheers...:top:

Just an update

Just got the 328 out of d workshop 3 days ago to solve a front wobbling problem and loose front end (felt like the car was floating on heavy seas)
"It never rains but it pours..."

Front shocks B$3++ x2
Front special links x2
Front top mountings complete with spacer x2
So I thought ok thats it...then mech noticed d shaft coupling was slightly out of shape

Need to go back in next wk to drop d exhaust to change that & cos of that they will need to replace the gearbox mountings...
THEN I notice steel threads coming out from the rear tyres...sigh
(dunno y d original owners put no-brand tyres on a 328....no wonder d car was handling so badly...i should hv changed it d moment i got d car...but it's a 2nd car used only 2x a week..anyway 4 new falken tyres added to the ever increasing charges...luckily its original 15" tyres otherwise I'll cry paying for 17" jap tyres...let alone continental/dumlop/michelins...car handles like it should now though...bmw really banyak makan wang lah!

sachseelan;327464 said:
morning guys,

Gearbox was all well until today. Sadly, this morning took it for a spin, switched to S mode and stepped on the pedal hard...within seconds, as i released the pedal, hang again:thefinger:. So i guess, gearbox problem need more study. Other than that gear changes are all smooth and nice on E mode. On another thread regarding this issue, fellow forummer "megatniza" said it was his ECU expiring(not sure what this really means) and replaced it wt a used one and all fine for 2 years now. Need more advice and info from him. Will update you boys...

Sad Sunday,
cheers...:top:

Thanks for the progress update. Based on what you said, the culprit could be the solenoid rather than the gearbox itself (since it is nice and smooth on 'E'.) Do keep us posted.

spikyone;328408 said:
Just got the 328 out of d workshop 3 days ago to solve a front wobbling problem and loose front end (felt like the car was floating on heavy seas)
"It never rains but it pours..."

Front shocks B$3++ x2
Front special links x2
Front top mountings complete with spacer x2
So I thought ok thats it...then mech noticed d shaft coupling was slightly out of shape

Need to go back in next wk to drop d exhaust to change that & cos of that they will need to replace the gearbox mountings...
THEN I notice steel threads coming out from the rear tyres...sigh
(dunno y d original owners put no-brand tyres on a 328....no wonder d car was handling so badly...i should hv changed it d moment i got d car...but it's a 2nd car used only 2x a week..anyway 4 new falken tyres added to the ever increasing charges...luckily its original 15" tyres otherwise I'll cry paying for 17" jap tyres...let alone continental/dumlop/michelins...car handles like it should now though...bmw really banyak makan wang lah!

Spikyone, what can I say dude. It never rains but it pours. You gotta pay to play. The sins of the fathers (previous owner) shall be visited upon the sons (present and future owners).

I noticed some trends w my own car. Firstly, maintenance go down over time. The initial period was filled with replacing or rebuilding major parts. If you close one eye and and dump a barrow of cash into the car, replacing all failing major and corresponding about-to-fail parts, you'll enjoy the bliss and peace of mind for years to come. Or you can be tight and fix it incrementally, and have the problems build up and compound each other. I've tried both approach. Barrow is better.

Secondly, when things fail, they tend to do so in groups. I would go for months where nothing goes wrong, and then, wham! A burst radiator hose with a leaking steering rack. Or the aircon motor with the alternator. Or a broken glove compartment door and a grumpy wife. But I digress.

Statistically, this is known as clustering. Our cars are a collection of failing or about-to-fail parts. Each part has a finite lifespan, and some of our cars about more than 10 years old. The failure points tend to cluster.

The average 10-year old car here is in good running condition. The average 10-year old car in Europe is in the junk yard. So, we can be proud of our cars. Or resent the duty structure that doubles the price of new cars compared to Europe. At least we have sunnier weather here.

Lee ,

Truly spoken as a sifu ..I can really relate to you ..similiar experience . Had the car for 3 years , most of there wear & tear parts had been replaced , now it's only regular maintenance . My first 2 years was quite painful but bareable ..stick my head in it & I am now at the stage that I sometimes miss the workshop & talking the mechanics !!! That's why hands are itchy now looking at tyre upgrades & bodykits .

Cheers !

finally.... rebuild

huhhh.... hello guys............... finally nightmare come true... my autobox wreck out last weekend... eventually there is no way... rebuild is the only option.. now is time for me to 'the end' my gbox prob..... sad weekend.:17:

Zul_84;329843 said:
huhhh.... hello guys............... finally nightmare come true... my autobox wreck out last weekend... eventually there is no way... rebuild is the only option.. now is time for me to 'the end' my gbox prob..... sad weekend.:17:

hi zul, do update us on the progress, im eager to see the results...

good luck and hope ur nightmare ends....:top:

Zul_84;329843 said:

Time for manual bro :)

When it's time to rebuild my auto again, I go manual for sure...

Cannot tahan this kind of fuel price.

Luckily, the 328 is currently pretty fit, at approx 11+ litre/100 km, 21-22sen/km under the old price. Now, *gulp* 30 sen/km! :eek:

My friend put K-Mac camber plates on his e30, and now he can't stop driving it... after I tried to tell him for sooo long, after trying only he believes me...

My K-Mac totally transformed my handling.

Any of you using camber plates?

Top Bottom