can our bimmer use RON 95 fuel??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
FYI US RON numbers are not the same as the RON numbers the rest of the world uses. their octane rating is RON+MON divide by 2. RON91 for them is about the same as our RON95 I think.

ALBundy;451318 said:
Using Shell 95 on my car, no problems whatsoever, still smooth. As for power, cant really tell for sure as the ///M is recommended to use RON95 to 98. I do feel the car is little less torquey via the butt dyno.

Bundy has got sensitive buns

terencehilary;451281 said:
Bro Mizhan,

The new bhp fuel comes with friction modifier which can clean the engine better... for further enquiries pls visit the website: www.bhpetrol.com.my ...... i tried shell vpower and my engine stop twice when i first fuel with shell... after trying bhp no more problem... i support bhpetrol fuel... cheers!

you should caltex ron95 too. It come with Techron and hardly feel the difference. they also rated cleanest fuel for worldwide.

My missy start to complain about the RON95 lio.. engine response very sluggish, she say she need to keep her foot on the gas pedal for a longer time to get the E90 up to speed. So I looked at her and say... "You want a 325i?"..:15: :D

astroboy;451803 said:
My missy start to complain about the RON95 lio.. engine response very sluggish, she say she need to keep her foot on the gas pedal for a longer time to get the E90 up to speed. So I looked at her and say... "You want a 325i?"..:15: :D

You give her your sluggish 325 and buy yourself an M3 lor.:top: (Sorry bro, the recent track day had totally changed my perception towards 325, 525, 530 and all the beemers with no ///M badge)

astroboy;451646 said:
U will not feel knocking la. The ECU will adjust the timing so the intake valve will only open long enough to allow enough air fuel mixture in. So lesser air in the chamber, less compression when piston moving up lor. You won't know if this is happening la.

Even on RON97, that does not mean engine is running at maximum potential. Our engine can even benefit from RON98 la. That only mean anything above RON98 is waste of money.. :p :D

Actually when the ECU senses any knocking via the knock sensors, the ignition timing will be retarded, not the intake valve opening. Ignition timing refers to the moment where the plugs are lighted up to start the combustion process.

When RON98 and or RON100 will depends on your car's compression ratio and maximum RPM. The Honda CTR FD02, will only develop the rated hp if pump with RON98, which is not available here.

On the other hand, RON95 and 97 wouldn't made any difference to a kancil or myvi la, I have even tried RON92 on them before (yes I have driven them extensively!! :p ) and couldn't feel any difference and even if it does, it does not bothers me one bit :)

If that's the case, then detonation still occurs when the piston is on its way up due to the high compression and merely time the spark plug to ignite earlier to match with detonation would only eliminate the knock but logically, with combustion occur while piston is moving up doesn't sound right, or healthy le.

Myvi is on VVti 1.3L same as my mini MPV le, compression 10:0, rpm peak at 6,800, higher than my E90, don't play play.. :p in fact all the Proton Campro family is on compression 10:0 lio.

Knocking is also known as pinging as pre-detonation la. So by delaying the plug's ignition timing (when piston is moving up), pre-detonation will be eliminated. The only downside as we all know it, is reduced engine power. In the older cars like M20 and M40, ignition timing can be advanced or retarded by turning ths distributor cap :)

astroboy;451857 said:
If that's the case, then detonation still occurs when the piston is on its way up due to the high compression and merely time the spark plug to ignite earlier to match with detonation would only eliminate the knock but logically, with combustion occur while piston is moving up doesn't sound right, or healthy le.

Myvi is on VVti 1.3L same as my mini MPV le, compression 10:0, rpm peak at 6,800, higher than my E90, don't play play.. :p in fact all the Proton Campro family is on compression 10:0 lio.

Detonation happens because hot spots in the combustion chamber, for example old engine with carbon built up all over in it, these hot spots would ignite the air fuel mixture.
that's why proton carburetor Saga is recommended to use ron97 as they're prone to to carbon built up in the cylinder, especially older Saga.

Guys,

Tried RON95 on my E34 the day it was launched. The 1st 2 3 days were good, but later on & off start feeling a tiny-winy jerking, then suddenly car cannot start at the shopping complex. Only managed to start after nearly 20 mins of trying. Now changed back to RON97 ... will see how it goes.

Anybody with the same problem. Was it the RON95 or my engine? Any tips? If my ride is back to normal after 2 3 days, I would have to assume that it is the RON95.

ALBundy;451866 said:
Knocking is also known as pinging as pre-detonation la. So by delaying the plug's ignition timing (when piston is moving up), pre-detonation will be eliminated. The only downside as we all know it, is reduced engine power. In the older cars like M20 and M40, ignition timing can be advanced or retarded by turning ths distributor cap :)

errr... Mr. President. are u sure M40 ignition timing can be advance by turning the distributor cap? i tot its fix.

datsunnismo;452314 said:
errr... Mr. President. are u sure M40 ignition timing can be advance by turning the distributor cap? i tot its fix.

Oh is it? Then my apologies :)

Cheers

AB, I thought we already been through this ?
Higher compression is NOT absolutely directly related to higher RON requirement.

:top:

astroboy;451461 said:
Tried yesterday in my mini 1.3L VVTi MPV. Engine quieter, lesser horsepower and lesser torque felt ~ butt dyno. After refueling on LDP, saw an E90 325i Sport, decided to keep up. My MPV was struggling badly, entire stretch from Kelana to Damansara my transmission keep kicking down when I push, finally decided to off O/D to run the balance stretch of LDP. Even in 3rd gear, engine is quieter... no more garang vroom..vroommm... lio. :(

I would say my 1.3L just lost 100cc. Cannot play with Wira 1.5 lio..

The minimum RON index specified in the user manual only tells us whats the maximum timing retard the engine can cope to keep the engine running smoothly, but performance suffer big time with my compression 10:0 VVTi engine :-/ Low RON fuel is vulnerable to high compression engine like ours to suffer from premature detonation.

All newer generation engines are designed with high compression to improve combustion efficiency. That's the only way to develop new engine with higher horse power. Look at power output from today's engine compare with say 10 years ago. For the same CC, how to get more horsepower? The answer is increasing compression ratio and of course some meddling with the cam timing for the so called variable timing.

Effort from these engineers are wasted if the fuel can't keep up.

What a waste!

By the way, my E90 also refueled with RON95 last night, will see how it goes, big possibility of switching back to RON97 next week, before my ECU becomes "cacat" due to too much timing retard. Retard timing doesn't prevent premature detonation, instead its to time ignition to ignite along with detonation, while the piston still on its way up to complete the compression cycle. I am very disturbed with this.

I just checked Suzy Swift Sport compression ratio is 11.1:0 and openly declare not suitable for RON95. Civic Type-R is running 11.7:0, also declared not suitable for RON95. Skoda 2.0 FSI 11.5:0 while Range Rover is a mystery which I can't solve.

E90 4-potter running compression 10.5:0 and if my 10.0:0 VVti 1.3L MPV can feel the difference, what else can I say about the E90?!

Mitsubishi AirTrek Turbo also listed as vehicle not suitable for RON95 despite running 8.8:0 compression while EVO X is on 9.0:0, maybe due to the force induction.

i had run RON92 on my M50TUB25 for quite some time. outcome? can't really feel the difference. same ol' same ol'.....

buzzlie;452261 said:
Guys,

Tried RON95 on my E34 the day it was launched. The 1st 2 3 days were good, but later on & off start feeling a tiny-winy jerking, then suddenly car cannot start at the shopping complex. Only managed to start after nearly 20 mins of trying. Now changed back to RON97 ... will see how it goes.

Anybody with the same problem. Was it the RON95 or my engine? Any tips? If my ride is back to normal after 2 3 days, I would have to assume that it is the RON95.

This is serious, man. Any updates so far?

datsunnismo;452314 said:

What you really meant to say was that they BROKE it.

funfer_fahrer;452532 said:
This is serious, man. Any updates so far?

Taiping Bro,

Long holiday la ... need to travel here & there with family including small kids in my car. So better be safe than sorry, using my Japanese car lately. Wait til working day bro, then bujang again and I will try the car and update.

Heard the same story from my friends ... but non-BMWs. Worst, theirs stopped by the road side.

BMW engines are equipped with knock sensors and automatically adapt to operate
with fuels of different octane ratings, as long as the minimum octane
requirement is met. Higher octane fuels will provide increased
performance and fuel economy,while the use of gasoline with a
lower octane rating will have an adverse effect.

BMW engines are equipped with knock sensors and automatically adapt to operate
with fuels of different octane ratings, as long as the minimum octane
requirement is met. Higher octane fuels will provide increased
performance and fuel economy,while the use of gasoline with a
lower octane rating will have an adverse effect.

Been using RON95 since 1st Sep... as I live in a small kampung and the petrol stations in my area don't carry RON97 fuel...
However, I don't feel any difference after switching to RON95.. I'm no expert technically. But I hope this help to clear some of those E60 drivers out there

Top Bottom