can our bimmer use RON 95 fuel??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;484514 said:
Anyone here still using Shell FuelSave 95?

Something is not right with Shell FuelSave Unleaded 95 lately. I am suspecting they have removed the FuelSave additive beginning 2010. I can see the fuel gauge on both my cars dropping fast!!

Only managed to empty one tank this year thus far due to the long holidays, am on 2nd tank now for both car. Both engine felt sluggish despite recent oil change. The JDM is on Castrol Edge 5w-40, the E90 is on Castrol Powerflow SLX 0w-30, yet no performance gain.. something very wrong with the fuel, I tested fuel from different Shell station, still same. Even in cool rainy evening, engine still sluggish. Need to wash my JDM K&N and conduct more test for my JDM, KNS!!

Any similar experience out there?! Please share.

I have switched to primarily Caltex for my slow moe. I think you should give it a try. Shell RON 97 is okie, but not 95 for me. The fuel save addictive only gives you one liter savings for every 50 liters used and hence now the campaign ads...every drop counts!:stupid:

I sometimes use RON 95 for my 525, Z4 and R1200rt, no difference with RON 97 or Shell's, except for 'psychology' where I feel more power with RON 97.

Accidentally filled RON 95 on me E39 when it was first launched - reason being the Shell petrol station near section 16 has not change the label in the pump. I immediately felt the car was sluggish and i actually thought there was something wrong with the car.

After the tank was emptied, i refilled with Shell RON97 and viola, the power is back to normal. Still puzzled and went back to the same station in section 16 to check. KNN the particular pump was change to yellow colour now!!! No RON95 unless you want a "smooth & slow" ride.

However i switched to RON95 for my Volvo 2.0T. Read the manual and it recommended RON95 and it was actually in the fuel cover. I always felt that the engine is too powerful on RON97. So with RON95, the ride was smoother and with sufficient power from the turbo!

Hope this is useful.

Jerman;461119 said:
Back to the RON 95 fuel, anyone tried using BHP's INFINITI 95 petrol? Personal experience on this, my M54 engine felt smoother & quieter? Psychological or what?

When they 1st launch Ron 95, I did use Shell Ron 95 for my 328 & 528. It feel very sluggish & I got less mileage. So being a faithful Shell customer (maybe becoz of Bonuslink) go back to Ron 97, I can feel immediate different in term of power & mileage. But lately I feel both my cars get less mileage on odometer but no change in power no matter I change my driving style (less rempit & tiptronic & redline). Since my petrol in average bout Rm800 plus a month, I cannot tahan & decide to give BHP petrol Ron 95 a try. Since the tank almost empty with bout 40km to go, it's good time to change petrol for my E46 328. After driving for 2 days I didn't feel any difference in power & suprisingly mileage seems better. Since just clock bout 70km for full tank of BHP Ron95 & bout 550km to go on odometer, cant give accurate result until the next full tank top up. If it is good will stick to BHP Ron95 & will change for 528 too.
Nowadays with everything goes up at least I can save 0.25cts/ltr:sleep:
Will update when exact calculation on next full tank.

ALBundy;451318 said:
Using Shell 95 on my car, no problems whatsoever, still smooth. As for power, cant really tell for sure as the ///M is recommended to use RON95 to 98. I do feel the car is little less torquey via the butt dyno.

i use shell 95 on my car as well. Is it just me or has the fuel paddle become a little heavier? hmmm...

less tourquey... thats right..

I once try shell ron 95, but due to the tremendous change in power revert back to shell Ron 97. Another reason for me to stick with the ron 97 is to keep reminding me how they "Rakyat didahulukan, bla bla". Thank you for utamakan 'rakyat' in all matter that concern, petrol, credit card tax, toll, GST and et cetera . i shall remember when the time come.

BHP Ron95

Latest update on my E46 328 experience on BHP Ron95. Mileage done 184.8km & odometer shows 502km to go. Very very impresive & suprisingly. If this continue I will switch from Shell Ron97 to BHP Ron95 after this. So much of Shell marketing gimmick of fuel saving (yeah if u park the car in garage):sleep:

I heard from a friend who owns a very reputable workshop that if
you run Ron 95 on your cars, the carbon build up in the engine would
be very bad thus requiring atleast a top overhaul after sometime.

He has personally taken the engine out of one of his car which has been using
ron 95 and inside the whole head was black ! You couldn't see any silver at all.
He had to clean everything and then chose to overhaul the entire engine.

BMW said that our cars require atleast 91 octane but you'll never know what's the
true octane level is in Malaysia since they always sell the good stuff overseas and leave us with the shitty stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't risk my engine for a few ringgit a tank.

Top Bottom