Mix different RON fuel? Any idea?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Ya man,my kapla also pusing.I thought all fuel suppose to detonate.I've been using RON 95 on my Gillera Scooter and so far so good but dare not try it on my superbike yet.Needless to say my e60 la.Not gonna risk it till our gomen stabilize their mind first(not that it ever will anyway).
Now I dread to think what are we bikers gonna do when we stop somewhere and the only fuel available is the RON95 coz our fuel stops are more frequent la.

Sorry ah,I should be asking that in the bike forum

t2ribena;455283 said:
bro...u really make my kapla pusing la...u say ron 95 less stable coz it detonates...so ron 97 is more stable right? does this means it does not detonates?:eek: so how the engine runs la on ron 97? black magic?
icon10.gif

Hello brother. If you follow all the discussions, the info printed in the papers and the data on the interrnet, you will find that what Bro Astroboy is saying is correct.

The higher the octane rating the better is the suppression to detonation. Inversely, the lower the RON number the lower is the capability to prevent detonation. You can generally label that a lower octane rating fuel is more "unstable".

When we use the term detonation in our discussions here we mean pre-ignition, "knocking" or "pinging" where the fuel mixture "explodes" earlier than desired i.e the fuel mixture releases it energy before the piston reached TDC (top dead center). This condition is very harmful to the engine.

Fuel manufacturers formulate their fuel such that higher "quality" fuel has greater resistance to detonation.

Please follow the discussion.

t2ribena;455283 said:
bro...u really make my kapla pusing la...u say ron 95 less stable coz it detonates...so ron 97 is more stable right? does this means it does not detonates?:eek: so how the engine runs la on ron 97? black magic?
icon10.gif

Haha... you are the last person that I am worry on debating with, the other fellas are Schwepps, turbology and few others.. :p

RON95 less stable because when you compress her a little, it explode prematurely before spark plug fires. RON97 more stable, so u can compress it up till the end of the compression cycle and time the spark plug to ignite the compressed fuel at the perfect moment. Remember, we have spark plug ma.. :wink: not black magic.. :D

Back to the chemistry lesson on the chapter of periodic table, less stable molecule structure has looser molecule bandage, thus lower evaporation temperature point, so tendency of evaporation is high.

Now u all know why when put t2ribena with me in TT, we can talk until 4am, if campur Schwepps and turbology, I think we can end the TT with a nuclear blue print.. confirm no politiking.. :p :D

QME7555;455129 said:
I filled up $30.00 Ron95 on my bimmer and the car sometime jerk when i accelerates. When I refill back to Ron97, it never jerk again. I even did the same on my Harrier and same problem. My friend used the Ron95 on his Vitara, it jerk everytime he accelerate. Still get the reason why the bimmer cant use Ron95 when the refill cap says can use 91-98.

Don't know why you are having jerky responses. My E90 as well as my friend's MINI One are now running RON95 (Shell), and there is no difference in smoothness when compared with Shell 97 (for both cars) and V-Power (E90). For cruising, and most city driving, I can't say there is a significant difference in power or FC (so far after 200km of Shell 95, FC is same as Shell 97, but not as good as V-Power). But then I rarely rev the car >3K rpm in city driving anyway. When I do rev it >3K, I can feel slightly less pickup than V-Power, but not so big that I feel severely disadvantaged (vs V-Power). Perhaps as someone mentioned, the jerkiness is the downshifting for acceleration?

astroboy;455125 said:
Can anyone explain how RON95 or RON96 campur can kill a fuel pump? Tak masuk akal! :stupid:

flash;455126 said:
Coincidence????

I think it is coincidence... but then again, I do remember that years ago for my E36, whenever I filled up with Shell/Petronas/Esso/Caltex - no problems, but when I filled up with BP - jerking all the time. Problem ceased when I switched back to the first 4.

Traveler;455332 said:
Don't know why you are having jerky responses. My E90 as well as my friend's MINI One are now running RON95 (Shell), and there is no difference in smoothness when compared with Shell 97 (for both cars) and V-Power (E90). For cruising, and most city driving, I can't say there is a significant difference in power or FC (so far after 200km of Shell 95, FC is same as Shell 97, but not as good as V-Power). But then I rarely rev the car >3K rpm in city driving anyway. When I do rev it >3K, I can feel slightly less pickup than V-Power, but not so big that I feel severely disadvantaged (vs V-Power). Perhaps as someone mentioned, the jerkiness is the downshifting for acceleration?

I think it is coincidence... but then again, I do remember that years ago for my E36, whenever I filled up with Shell/Petronas/Esso/Caltex - no problems, but when I filled up with BP - jerking all the time. Problem ceased when I switched back to the first 4.

Today cannot tahan even though my tank still 1/2 of Ron 95, fill up another 1/2 Ron 97. Jerkiness reduced and pick-up is better. FULL tank Ron 97 should be better.:top:

astroboy;455309 said:
Haha... you are the last person that I am worry on debating with, the other fellas are Schwepps, turbology and few others.. :p

RON95 less stable because when you compress her a little, it explode prematurely before spark plug fires. RON97 more stable, so u can compress it up till the end of the compression cycle and time the spark plug to ignite the compressed fuel at the perfect moment. Remember, we have spark plug ma.. :wink: not black magic.. :D

Back to the chemistry lesson on the chapter of periodic table, less stable molecule structure has looser molecule bandage, thus lower evaporation temperature point, so tendency of evaporation is high.

Now u all know why when put t2ribena with me in TT, we can talk until 4am, if campur Schwepps and turbology, I think we can end the TT with a nuclear blue print.. confirm no politiking.. :p :D

words like that is really getting me in the mood la...on a serious note,I'm learning

now where is that turbochick of mine....hehehe

Today just received a message from a friend. His Avanza 1.3 (less than 2 year old) just took her virgin dose of RON95 and engine start "vibrating". I asked him to go to UMW Toyota, ask them to test out, if really jerk, get them to settle. May be knock sensor kaput (benefit of the doubt).

And this jerk thing, engine suffer torque deficiency, sure down shift more frequent loo.. and if those term it as "jerk".. I really don't know what to say. Down shift is normal, jerk is not normal ma. There are not the same! haiksss...

So Guna, I see you get seated in nicely into our "culture".. :wink: Congratulation, I should welcum u again.. :p

I think a lot of people confuse on jerk because of engine/gearbox jerk which is serious
VS
gearbox feel like 'jerk' due to sudden gear downshift because of lousy fuel no pickup RON95

from the progress of the discussion, it appears to suggest as if there is a vast difference between RON97 and RON95 fuel, from the latter causing jerking/vibration to a fuel that is vastly unstable. The strange thing is, if it is indeed "true" that there is so great a difference (the jerking/vibration, etc) under normal drive load by dropping a mere 2 RON from 97 to 95, surely the Government know or the industry experts would advise the Govt against doing so.

Now, this is getting interesting to get to the bottom of it.

astroboy;455309 said:
if campur Schwepps and turbology, I think we can end the TT with a nuclear blue print.. confirm no politiking.. :p :D

i don't do nuclear plant.
I am more interested of building a Caterham 7 :wink:
A rear fitted Campro engine in a convertible Kancil sound cool

seriously i think the marketing for RON 95 is overly done.. don't u think we hv been short-changed as we've been using RON 97 and suddenly had a step backward with the RON 95 ?

i experienced lack of power and jerking with RON 95 on my E90 325 and E81 120....not to mention the degradation of fuel economy. Gonna change back to RON 97 or even RON 98 in S'pore.

technically speaking, with RON 95, for example, Petronas just add less of MTBE (which is the anti-knock agent) than RON 97. thus, u will get a less stable petrol with higher tendency to 'knock', though not that significant as our modern engine adjust the timings accordingly.

astroboy;455502 said:
Today just received a message from a friend. His Avanza 1.3 (less than 2 year old) just took her virgin dose of RON95 and engine start "vibrating". I asked him to go to UMW Toyota, ask them to test out, if really jerk, get them to settle. May be knock sensor kaput (benefit of the doubt).

And this jerk thing, engine suffer torque deficiency, sure down shift more frequent loo.. and if those term it as "jerk".. I really don't know what to say. Down shift is normal, jerk is not normal ma. There are not the same! haiksss...

So Guna, I see you get seated in nicely into our "culture".. :wink: Congratulation, I should welcum u again.. :p

Ahh,then you would have also noticed that I'm trying to make amends..I've always felt welcomed with 'cultured' people...It's only sheer rudeness that I don't tolerate..I on the other hand have also noticed that some here have already landed back on planet earth....for now at least.

saat;455302 said:
Hello brother. If you follow all the discussions, the info printed in the papers and the data on the interrnet, you will find that what Bro Astroboy is saying is correct.

The higher the octane rating the better is the suppression to detonation. Inversely, the lower the RON number the lower is the capability to prevent detonation. You can generally label that a lower octane rating fuel is more "unstable".

When we use the term detonation in our discussions here we mean pre-ignition, "knocking" or "pinging" where the fuel mixture "explodes" earlier than desired i.e the fuel mixture releases it energy before the piston reached TDC (top dead center). This condition is very harmful to the engine.

Fuel manufacturers formulate their fuel such that higher "quality" fuel has greater resistance to detonation.

Please follow the discussion.

Hello brother...no offense...but if u have been following my talk with astroboy all this while, i was just being funny and poking fun of him la...:wink:

if joking is not allowed here then i am really sorry to have disturb the peaceful and serious discussion here....:wink:

anyway thank you for your kind lesson on the fuel RON aka combustability...

Quote from AB Posts...

hahaha...me know nuts ma...:top:

i tot the less stable element in the periodic table is due to the 'lonely' outer electron band being unpaired? cannot find its partner so very active looking for one...btw my chemistry fail one...
icon10.gif

for the fuel ease of evaporation vs molecule bondage strength, does this defines the RON/fuel resistance to combustion on itself? evaporation is one of the process where the molecule changes state from liquid to gas...and since burning is a complex chemical reaction of the fuel molecules being oxidize, then this could be true as the molecules in gas state is more volatile and thus more likely to be oxidize...

t2ribena;455630 said:
Hello brother...no offense...but if u have been following my talk with astroboy all this while, i was just being funny and poking fun of him la...:wink:

if joking is not allowed here then i am really sorry to have disturb the peaceful and serious discussion here....:wink:

anyway thank you for your kind lesson on the fuel RON aka combustability...

I realized later that you cant be that dumb and you are just a joker.

I think if we go on like this, more readers will be confused.. please ignore the few of us if you are newbie, these are high level very "technical" discussion and the same goes with the jokes. No flaming here, we are cool! :cool: :D :D

So t2r, thanks for the refreshment on the Periodic Table lessons.. :p now u know why going against u on technical matters are seriously real dump on my side.. :p OVER AND OUT.......... :D :D

RON95 is using yellow dye... like lemonade, pretty close to RON97, in fact I can't tell the difference in color. :p

Top Bottom