1st oil change for E9x

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
E46Fanatic;303183 said:
So... which oil do u recommend?

Honestly, if you plan to change every 10-12km (which I would recommend), any oil that is SM, ACEA3, LL01 or LL04 rated is fine. That includes Shell AB 5w30 and the Petronas specially formulated oil (used by Sapura and AB Sg Besi)

The only thing about buying oil from these guys is the farcking mark-up. It is ridiculous that they charge RM70 per litre. Hence, one might want to try Castrol 0W30, commonly known as German Castrol for in btw changes. It is specially formulated for European cars and you can buy it online in Malaysia for about RM40 per litre.

Amsoil is also good but the viscosity available in Malaysia is slightly higher at 5W40 and the 5W30 is not available. I have a friend that swears by Royal Purple but i don't use it because it does not meet the required specs. There are other brands I would personally use but I can't find them here

i would go for 5w/40..:D..too thin oil can probably make ur engine noise after 3-4k km..based on my experience..coz there is a car using a "lash" ( correct my spelling ) like example the new mitsu evolution 7,8,9 and some other new car..if you use fully synthetic like 0,5,10w/30 u can hear the noise came from the "lash"..so the best thing is for "lash" user just use one step heavy such as semi synthetic oil etc 15w/40 but change it frequently every 3-5,0000km since the price a lot cheaper then long life oil...or just go for normal SJ oil..its ok for "tapped" engine..nobody wants their engine sounds noise..am i right? :D..my suggestion is..try to use various kind of oil until one day u know what u need...we have to know more about our car than others..like people said guys always care their car like "bini"..so good luck mate...

just to share..this knowledge came from the petronas research lab...

I was told by one of the mechanic in AB Glenmarie that it is good to use Mobil 1 fully synthetic which is rated at 5W50 which meets API SL/SJ/CF and ACEA A3/B3/B4 (MB 229.3 & VW 505.00). Can someone confirm this. I have not used it on my car before. All these while I am using Shell AB 5W30 which is directly from them. What do you think about this Mobil 1 ??

"lash noise" is usually refer as HLA noise. (Hydraulic Lash Adjuster)
BMW, Mazda, and Mitsubishi engine are common for the noise.

Just like Laneza said, get a semi-sync oil, replace every 5000km.
We will never see a 10c degree in Malaysia, so 10w or 15w weight will be fine too.
But 5w-40 is what I prefer to use, with ACEA A3/B3 and MB229.3 spec.
30w viscosity is too "thin" for better shear protection.

Not all Mobil 1 are equal.
For the money, I will go for something else.
Mobil 1 is good, but you paid too much for their advertising.
Try Castrol, Shell, Petronas, and etc. As long as it meet the spec.

And 5w-50 has weight different of 45. You get less base stock oil(what lubricate), and alot of VI modifier(what change the viscosity).
I will stay away from any 5w-50 oil.

Thanks guys for sharing. In your opinion is the BMW Longlife01 approval important if say we're doing 10-15k kms oil change intervals instead of the 25k kms? Many synth oils on the shelf still do not have the BMW Longlife01 approval.

Just bought a water pump for my Volvo 940 from Sea Park PH Auto for RM110 (DIYed and installed it last night), while I was there, I ask what engine oil they carry for BMW because I saw them selling BMW Coolant... the shopper keeper's wife say "no, we don't sell BMW oil".. the husband say can, can use Castrol 0W-30, as mentioned by mienauto above, they selling it at RM160 for 4L bottle. No need to buy online.. :D

But looks like I am sticking to my Q8 Elite 5W-40 for this coming 5k km break in oil change.. :(

Will definitely try out the Castrol 0W-30 at my 15k km (10k km away).. now I wonder the original oil filter I ordered has arrived.. :rolleyes: I placed the order at a normal spare part shop.. :D Looking forward to DIY the oil change.. :D

i know someone that sells the Castrol Oil. 5W-30 German Syntec they call it. but i think Mobil1 is smoother.

Syntec is American market... European only carries the Edge range..

Syntec American:
http://www.castrolsyntec.com/
SAE 0W-30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.
SAE 5W-30:
The most recommended grade in today's new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1, A5, B1, B5, Corvette GM 4718M, GM 6094M, Ford WSS M2C929-A and all requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.
155s.jpg

Edge Europe:
SAE 0W-30, ACEA A3/B3/B4, API CF, API SM, MB 229.3/229.5, GM-LL-A-025/GM-LL-B-025, VW 502.00/503.01/505.00, BMW Longlife-01
edge0w30-4L.jpg

AlexNg;303351 said:
i know someone that sells the Castrol Oil. 5W-30 German Syntec they call it. but i think Mobil1 is smoother.

Could you PM me the contact of the person selling the Castrol oil? Thks!

astroboy;303355 said:
Syntec is American market... European only carries the Edge range..

Syntec American:
http://www.castrolsyntec.com/
SAE 0W-30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.
SAE 5W-30:
The most recommended grade in today's new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1, A5, B1, B5, Corvette GM 4718M, GM 6094M, Ford WSS M2C929-A and all requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

Edge Europe:
SAE 0W-30, ACEA A3/B3/B4, API CF, API SM, MB 229.3/229.5, GM-LL-A-025/GM-LL-B-025, VW 502.00/503.01/505.00, BMW Longlife-01

The Edge is what you want to get

Sent!

Castrol Edge very hard to get 5W-30 le.

i got the exact same 1Quart bottle of the German Castrol Syntec at home un finished!

I was in UK Castrol website.. and there is a Lub recommendation by Car model.. so I key in BMW 320i E90 and viola!.. the recommendation is Castrol Edge 0W-30... just like what meinauto recommended!

Actually hor.. the "W" means "Winter".. and it goes like this..
40°C, 20W-40;
0°C to 30°C, 30;
10°C to >40°C, 40 (Our climate is here!!)

0W-30 and 5W-30.

u won't go wrong with two of these oil viscosities. do not believe the notion of thicker is better. if like that go take sludge pour in. haha...

There's this huge poster in AB Segambut at the car collection area which explains the benefit of AB's Shell Helix Ultra Long Life Lubricant compared to others. I'm sure this info could also be in bmw's official website.

stopped over at sapura to have my front break pads changed. I asked them about oil change and they use Petronas Synthium fully synthetic as standard here.

AlexNg;303361 said:
Sent!

Castrol Edge very hard to get 5W-30 le.

i got the exact same 1Quart bottle of the German Castrol Syntec at home un finished!

Thks. I know this guy as well. Have purchased oil from him before as well but not for me, for a friend

Top Bottom