Oil change interval

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Was curious and googled "BMW sludge problem"...

Seem like a worldwide issue.. Not just in Malaysia.... Read them all if you have the time.

I have been changing my oil every 10k km with my own hands.. trust me, your don't want to use the oil any further. It's both thick and black like rojak source. Bear in mind that I'm running fully synthetic 5w-30, 0w-30 or 0w-40.

What surprised me is that my Toyota Avanza using fully synthetic 5w-40 TGMO [Toyota Genuine Motor Oil], also for 10k km but when draining, the use oil is less black and less thick compare to my E90.. maybe my E90 need to use TGMO the next change.

I did went through the examples that you have provided. Thanks for sharing. But from the discussion it is still unclear or difficult for me to conclude whether changing the oil at 20k km interval is the sole factor that contribute to the sludging problem. Too many variables are unknown i.e. did the owner actually used good synthetic oil, was the cooling system defective, was the EGR system operating at its peak, did the owner lenjan the car everywhere he goes, etc.

I do acknowledge that there is a problem of not changing engine oil. The issue is the right time/mileage to change the oil. BMW has provided additional information in the form of its electronics and algorithm that helps user to decide when to send the car for an oil change. If it is proven that the system is still imperfect, at least for our local environment, then I might just as well change the oil at every 10k km. Maybe I need to read/understand how does the CBS system actually work. I'll share the information here when I can conclude something with facts and data.

Anyway, thanks for all your inputs. They have been informative. At least I've learned something about the moisture content of our air and possibly fuel. I will find out if BMW did take this factor into consideration.

fabianyee;779964 said:
I've given the real life example of sludge issue which happened to one of the forummers. And many unreported cases too. Some I've seen at workshops, especially those after warranty period, with bang balls repair bills. The system and the algorithm may not have been perfected. Maybe good for european and US climate and not for us Malaysian climate, who knows. U can also browse all the overseas forums and seek out sludge issue problems and see if it only affects Malaysian cars or it's a worldwide issue.

Good to hear real life experience / evidence. thanks for sharing. btw, did you ever send the oil for analysis? does the service actually available in msia?

maybe you did not drive the toyota as hard as the e90 then hehe

astroboy;779967 said:
I have been changing my oil every 10k km with my own hands.. trust me, your don't want to use the oil any further. It's both thick and black like rojak source. Bear in mind that I'm running fully synthetic 5w-30, 0w-30 or 0w-40.

What surprised me is that my Toyota Avanza using fully synthetic 5w-40 TGMO [Toyota Genuine Motor Oil], also for 10k km but when draining, the use oil is less black and less thick compare to my E90.. maybe my E90 need to use TGMO the next change.

Good luck in your quest for answers from BMW. ;)

But no harm having fresh oil every 10k km. And since your engine oil is aledi 10k now since the last service. Ask them to drain and let u see what comes out, if that is possible.

ciklee;779970 said:
.. If it is proven that the system is still imperfect, at least for our local environment, then I might just as well change the oil at every 10k km. ...

Key point! :rock:

The oil sensor we use is the Hella: www.hella.com/produktion/HellaUSA/W...ustry/Electronics/TI_Oelsensorik_GB_TT_05.pdf

Very high tech sensor but long way to go to achieve what you would imagine it to do.

ciklee;779974 said:
Good to hear real life experience / evidence. thanks for sharing. btw, did you ever send the oil for analysis? does the service actually available in msia?

maybe you did not drive the toyota as hard as the e90 then hehe

Hehe... the Avanza is being rempit not stop, rain or shine, frequent above 4k rpm.. having said that, maybe the E90 not rempit enough :4: .. or oil change period too long.. currently about 7 month interval, 1 week 1 tank of fuel for about 400km, so 1 month only cover 1.6k km. To cover 10k km, I need 6.25 months... :4:

Yes, that seems to be the general consensus. It just that each extra service gonna cost me RM700++ huhu. I would rather save the money up and go for vacation hehe. Anyway, I've already paid for 5 years BSRI so it seems like a waste if I need to do the extra service at my own costs.

Does the SC allow us to kaypoh2 in the service bay while they'e doing their job? Never been to any authorized BMW SC before so I don't want to look like a fool hehe.

fabianyee;779975 said:
But no harm having fresh oil every 10k km. And since your engine oil is aledi 10k now since the last service. Ask them to drain and let u see what comes out, if that is possible.

aiyah simple,

if you plan to keep car for long long time ( 5 ~ 7 or more ) , change oil frequently , my f10 oil condition is very good , near 8k interval can go service already ( key say : go , car say no , thus you need to let the SA put the key in the FOB reader for this ),

if you want to use the car for 1 ~ 2 year only , change at 20k also no problem.

also lastly its your wallet not mine,so its lots of oil change vs 1 time big problem later. remember change oil also must change the oil filter and possible every 20k change the diesel filter ( around RM 4xx ) .

Same as mine. Bought the car early this year. After about 8 months only each 10k km. Itu pon been going outstation for the past couple of months. Kalau tak bawak jalan2 jauh, not sure when can reach 10k hehe.

astroboy;779976 said:
Hehe... the Avanza is being rempit not stop, rain or shine, frequent above 4k rpm.. having said that, maybe the E90 not rempit enough :4: .. or oil change period too long.. currently about 7 month interval, 1 week 1 tank of fuel for about 400km, so 1 month only cover 1.6k km. To cover 10k km, I need 6.25 months... :4:

i assume yours is the diesel version? diesel cars require more frequent oil change due to the high sulfur content of our local diesel (among other things). mine is the petrol version.

when you say your oil condition is very good after 8k km service interval, I take it that the oil can probably last a few more thousand kms. in other words, you're basically wasting money and perfectly good oil hehe. but you're right, it is your money so please feel free to do whatever you like :rock:

dark1234;779980 said:
..., change oil frequently , my f10 oil condition is very good , near 8k interval can go service already ( key say : go , car say no , thus you need to let the SA put the key in the FOB reader for this ), ...

ciklee;779985 said:
i assume yours is the diesel version? diesel cars require more frequent oil change due to the high sulfur content of our local diesel (among other things). mine is the petrol version.

when you say your oil condition is very good after 8k km service interval, I take it that the oil can probably last a few more thousand kms. in other words, you're basically wasting money and perfectly good oil hehe. but you're right, it is your money so please feel free to do whatever you like :rock:

sorry type too fast , i meant the oil condition sensor not the oil , the OIL is bad can change already !, but its BSRI so foc, dun claim i rugi lor.,

dark1234;779980 said:
aiyah simple,

if you plan to keep car for long long time ( 5 ~ 7 or more ) , change oil frequently , my f10 oil condition is very good , near 8k interval can go service already ( key say : go , car say no , thus you need to let the SA put the key in the FOB reader for this ),

if you want to use the car for 1 ~ 2 year only , change at 20k also no problem.

also lastly its your wallet not mine,so its lots of oil change vs 1 time big problem later. remember change oil also must change the oil filter and possible every 20k change the diesel filter ( around RM 4xx ) .

I believe ciklee's concern is more towards environmental factor and the notion of waste. I'm very cheapskate too but this is one cost that I won't mind spending.

Last time, when they first introduced the 25,000km service interval, some BMW owners do a mid-term service outside with the same oil and full term service at Service Centre. Cos that time AB, in particular, refused to do the mid term service for the customer even if the customer wanted to pay for it. Insisting to do at 25,000km. So there are a few forummers who do their oil change elsewhere. These are the more knowledgeable car nuts lah... The usual auntie uncles would have gone for full term oil service as recommended, not sure how many of them encountered sludge issues though. The forummer's case I posted have a RM23k bill for engine change after much haggling and maybe 'bang tables'. What is RM700 per service vs RM23k engine change?

Astroboy bro, either your e90 is under utilized or perhaps toyota engine runs cooler than our 6 potters :p

astroboy;779988 said:
I believe ciklee's concern is more towards environmental factor and the notion of waste. I'm very cheapskate too but this is one cost that I won't mind spending.

yes the CBS as ciklee concern has 2 value on our idrive say still got xxxx km to go, but key FOB say due.

in my case my car say 4000KM to go, my key say DUE for oil service already.

I believe the key fob only stores the actual mileage travelled in case the odometer was tempered. Meanwhile, the CBS monitors the oil condition, your driving style, etc2 and calculates when the oil change is due. If you practice oil change interval based on mileage, then the key fob tells you its due even though the computer thinks the oil is still good for another 4k kms.

dark1234;780003 said:
in my case my car say 4000KM to go, my key say DUE for oil service already.

nop, it also do

VIN number - factory name
model - model number
type - color code (exterior)
kms/miles - todays date & time!
key version - key number sub set
interior option color code - origin
last time key was used - in service date
production date -next service date
next service date -fuel tank level in liters
brake fluid change date - outside temp
coolant temp - ?
average distance per week - ?
engine codes/failures - ?
factory coding - ?
key number - ?

and lots of rubish, thus conflicting data , in IDrive say service due in 4000 KM , key FOB by computer say service it now.
beside that they can see all the error code i encounter with my car , eg limp mode last week , thus become the foundation of diagnosis.

the key FOB info varies car to car , another F10 the have to do its first service at 11k as the key say its not due even its 11k . mine was due at 8k so does the subsequent. but do lots of hard driving with my car. change brake at 18k , rotor due next 1 ~ 2 month

s

astroboy;779967 said:

Bro, what type of oil did you use ? Castrol ( as mentioned in the manual ?) or helix or syntium ?

Top Bottom