wind noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

willy5

Club Guest
Hi All,Does anyone have a problem with wind noise? I am interested in the 320d but having tested 2 different units, I found them noisy even at 120 km/h.Thanks

All I hear at 120 km/h is the engine roaring sir. Are your windows rolled down? I read sometime back that the wind noise is attributed to poor adhesive material for the rubber flap, but I didn't know it was true for the F30.

Well I took a total of 2 test drives and 2 cars just to verify, was cruising at 120 so engine was not loud, windows were up, I checked. Dealer said the problem is easily solved, they'll fix it and let me have another go. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

I've also tested this on 328i and 320d, both seem to have the wind noise at around 100km/h . I probably think because the demo cars weren't service or something. Hopefully this doesn't happen when the real unit is here

willy5;750459 said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have a problem with wind noise? I am interested in the 320d but having tested 2 different units, I found them noisy even at 120 km/h.

Thanks

Dear willy5,

Your are test driving the 320d E90 (Model 2011) or 320d F30 (Model 2012)?

If F30 is the case, it is still CBU now and shouldn't have this type of problem.

My 320d is E90, its' CKD and understand from the senior here is commonly have that problem.

whynmy;750717 said:
Got but acceptable to me..coming from an accord user:)

I used to have the E90 323i. Wind noise only apparent when reach 150km/hr or above. Wind noise starting at 100km/hr for F30 is not acceptable to me.

Hi Chee Huat, the test was for F30, both CBUs so quality shud be better right? Which leaves me wondering.

I am comparing with e34, e39 and Camry which are all much quieter as far wind noise is concerned.

tIANcI;750768 said:
Wind noise is subjective ... Best to have some form of metering.

disagree, meter can say low noise but if you hear it and it bothers you then it is gonna irritate you

willy5;750755 said:
I am comparing with e34, e39 and Camry which are all much quieter as far wind noise is concerned.
My previous E90 definately has lower wind noise compare to Camry (currently own one) at high speed. If compare road noise, Camry better. That's probably due to RFT.

Willy ... Best then if just stick a chopstick into your ears. Then semi deaf. After that buy hearing aid and can change volume level la :0)

willy5;750753 said:
Hi Chee Huat, the test was for F30, both CBUs so quality shud be better right? Which leaves me wondering.

I heard Malaysia's so called "CBU" units are actually assembled in South Africa. Is it true?

tIANcI;750777 said:
Willy ... Best then if just stick a chopstick into your ears. Then semi deaf. After that buy hearing aid and can change volume level la :0)

Well I guess I can ask BMW to throw those in as accessories, haha..

Get an aftermarket exhaust system with bassy backbox (I'm on Hartge for E39 and am loving it), all I hear is the exhaust sound at high speed (thus high revs) :4:

I do notice slight wind noise in my F30 320d but at 160+km/h ... heard from SA that there was a similar comment from another owner of same model

tcyeow;750922 said:
I do notice slight wind noise in my F30 320d but at 160+km/h ... heard from SA that there was a similar comment from another owner of same model
Thanks tcyeow, is it just shhh..sound or rustling sound? What i heard was quite loud rustling at 100 and above which was annoying, if your doesn't have that means it is not inherent in the design

Top Bottom