Topping up engine oil on 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
That is a ridiculous indicator as far as I'm concerned. All oil blenders recommend max 12 months for fully-synth. I don't have any experience with BMW dealers/BMWM on this issue because I change the oil+filter every 6 months whether under BSRI or not. But I don't get the feeling that they would refuse to BSRI at 12 months.

With my W211, when I forgot to do my 6 monthly and took it in at 10 months, the service indicator hadn't come up yet, but my regular SC said: "Sir, why did you wait so long to come in? 10 months is too long sir. Don't always have to wait for the indicator, just come in." This was still warranty service mind! :)

Schwepps;396186 said:
Time to go in for BSRI lah astro, otherwise you're saving money for BMWM only wat. :)

I believe you've DIY changed your oil and filter before right? So your oil is not really 14 months old. The rule of thumb is 12 months max for fully-synth, 6 months max for semi-synth.

Hehee... at 5k km I poured in Q8, 8k km later at 13k km I poured in Torco, 8k km more will be 21k km for my next oil change. Now I'm at 19k km, so 2k km more and I will be trying my luck with SC... :D ... btw I'm still running 0.3L short in engine oil.. because I only pour in 4L... wonder if my "+1L" will come up soon.. :rolleyes:

astroboy;396311 said:
Hehee... at 5k km I poured in Q8, 8k km later at 13k km I poured in Torco, 8k km more will be 21k km for my next oil change. Now I'm at 19k km, so 2k km more and I will be trying my luck with SC... :D ... btw I'm still running 0.3L short in engine oil.. because I only pour in 4L... wonder if my "+1L" will come up soon.. :rolleyes:

Bro, your ride has exceeded 1 year already, please go to Ingress to get the BSRI (FOC) oil change.....even though its 19k km only.

BlackE90;396347 said:
Bro, your ride has exceeded 1 year already, please go to Ingress to get the BSRI (FOC) oil change.....even though its 19k km only.

Still enjoying the 0,3L short Torco le.. :love:

2 more thousand first la.. very lazy la.. :wink:

Yup, Pls Dun wait Sooo Looong to change your engine oil...... That is bad for your engine..... :(
If can every 10K change the engine, your engine can be more smooth when driving :)

its really weird. after my bsri oil change, i noticed that the bar indicator was showing the halfway mark. so i poured in a litre to top up yesterday. later i checked and its STILL in the midway mark. didnt move at all. so today i poured one more litre. and guess what. NO CHANGE in the bar status! still in the mid way mark. anybody experienced this?

the bar graphics is really confusing if u ask me. does each bar represent a litre of oil?

bimmerdude;397983 said:
its really weird. after my bsri oil change, i noticed that the bar indicator was showing the halfway mark. so i poured in a litre to top up yesterday. later i checked and its STILL in the midway mark. didnt move at all. so today i poured one more litre. and guess what. NO CHANGE in the bar status! still in the mid way mark. anybody experienced this?

the bar graphics is really confusing if u ask me. does each bar represent a litre of oil?

Wow! 2 litres in already and didn't change? Better get it checked. Maybe the engine oil level sensor having problem :eek:

Did my 1st oil change somewhere at 9k km, after that had to top up twice. just send for 2nd oil change at about 25k km.
The SA just called me up and suggest that i do a engine" flush" as the engine oil is quite thick.(they need to clean the engine with chemicals?)
mine is 325sport
Is this normal? Has anyone faced this problem before?
Apperiate your feedbacks.
TQ.

royagn;398236 said:
Did my 1st oil change somewhere at 9k km, after that had to top up twice. just send for 2nd oil change at about 25k km.
The SA just called me up and suggest that i do a engine" flush" as the engine oil is quite thick.(they need to clean the engine with chemicals?)
mine is 325sport
Is this normal? Has anyone faced this problem before?
Apperiate your feedbacks.
TQ.

i dont think an engine flush is necessary, for god sake the mileage is just 25k km. they're taking u for a ride...
if the engine oil is realy thick, maybe u shud consider change the oil in between service. Maybe ur car is under heavy usage like being stuck in a road jam daily? which is why the oil oxydation.

1st oil change is 9k km.. what oil u used?

2nd oil change is 25k km, that's 25-9 = 16k km.. and that's pretty stretched for an oil change interval. How long was it since your last change? More than a year? 2? ... which might make the oil turn "thick".. :(

SC do provided a special engine flush oil... pour it in, run it for some time.. then release it. Was told the result is quite good.

1st oil change 7,393km 21 may 2008
2nd oil change 25,087km 23 feb 2009
FC 13.3L / 100Km
I totally rely on the I Drive to prompt for service. Not anymore.

Talked to SC again he said there is no sludge, but he strongly recommend to do the engine flush as it is very good for the engine .. blah..blah..blah.
Asked him to just go ahead with it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Astroboy, I can always rely on you to get fast and accurate information. Better than SC.
TQ

in between did u do any top up (black oil)???
is the oil flush part of the bsri package????
why so pening one..cant they (bmw) just have a std system??

racheltoh;398468 said:

No, i did not top up in between.
Cost of oil flush is charged to customer.

Today my Idrive gave error, "engine oil at minimum, top up 1 litre "
Made appointment with SA to check 2moro.
Will post once they have trouble shoot the problem.

Really pening !!!!!

i wonder what happens if we overfill due to oil sensor error? and how do we take out the excess oil?

bimmerdude;398908 said:
i wonder what happens if we overfill due to oil sensor error? and how do we take out the excess oil?

it can be sucked out using a vacuum hose...i've seen some workshop done this instead of bleeding the oil thru the drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan.

Excess oil will escape through the breather outlet, and feedback either into the combustion chamber for burning or trap at the oil catch tank... so don't be too worry if overfill.

thanks for the explanation. i am still wondering how come my oil level is still at the middle (as indicated by the OBD). This is after i have poured in TWO liters of expensive black gold :). Will have the sensor checked at ingress or ab soon.

astroboy;399149 said:
Excess oil will escape through the breather outlet, and feedback either into the combustion chamber for burning or trap at the oil catch tank... so don't be too worry if overfill.

i saw somewhere in the manual that overfill is a NO NO...there is this line in the manual that said if the oil level exceeded max level go to the nearest bmw workshop asap.

glock_8;399481 said:
i saw somewhere in the manual that overfill is a NO NO...there is this line in the manual that said if the oil level exceeded max level go to the nearest bmw workshop asap.

Haha... probably they worry the excess oil can cause valve cover to leak.. very possible.. :listen:

Our engine is so well covered, I don't even know where is the breather outlet le.. or whether its a crankcase breather or valve cover breather.. :p

Anyway, I wonder how they gonna check the oil level probe le.. replace with a new unit and see if its the same electrical signal? what if the new unit also is faulty? or can it be the ECU for not translating the signal accurately? Then need few days to re-program to ECU :eek:... that's the problem with no dipstick car.. :stupid:

Top Bottom