Topping up engine oil on 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Wah sharp eyes! I think my A/C was off when this picture was taken... Try turning off your AC and see if its similar to the level in the pic?

Btw, check out the M3 gauges and the M DCT steering! Yummy. Also noticed idling RPM is about the same.

080702-1.JPG

E46, how come yr car n mine...the gear box there looks different? what's the buttons at the right side?

btw, AB and I had a discussion on how to read the Oil meter... should the "shading" go right to the end or until the line whcih says max?

That's an M3 la Rachel! E46F took the pic from some other place to compare his low idling as highlighted my Blackie..

E46F's oil level is 1 qtr L down.. the gauge move in units of 0.25L... and alarm indicates at 1L short.

My 0.3L short oil change E90 320i still indicated "MAX"... :D

racheltoh;362867 said:
E46, how come yr car n mine...the gear box there looks different? what's the buttons at the right side?

btw, AB and I had a discussion on how to read the Oil meter... should the "shading" go right to the end or until the line whcih says max?

Rach,

The shading shld only go to max. If goes right to the end, it means that you have over filled the engine and that is very bad for your engine too, thus the indication

racheltoh;362867 said:

Rachel, here's another picture to poison you more. Wanna consider changing to this DCT & M knob? Only SGD3,200

attachment.php

My engine oil is down a notch, after topping off recently. Will keep an eye on the levels and update if any changes.

With regard to the pics... I love the look of the M3 gauges, as I have never been a fan of the orangey look of our gauges. Something different to look at :) I wonder if the M3 gauges are a possible mod for our E90s?

Astro..what your relationship with blackie...?? how come u put there "my blackie" ????? your TT-ing already started ar??? still early wor....anyway TGIF

If the shading should go until the line which say max, then if was minimum? means the shade will stop at the min line???

Oh....the DCT dont attract me le...cos its like 2 ears jutting out...:p or maybe "ngor ng sek for" (i dont know what is cool)

but seriously..dont u think the M3 gear box area look so neat?????

Folks, TGIF.

here is the info for using shell oils for our cars...its the official recommendation by shell, and country and model specific.

Actually, I think it's nice that the dealers can accommodate BSRI oil changes at 5k mileage left to service interval since this gives the customer some flexibility. I would hate it if they insist the mileage drops to 0 before they take your car in.

Friends, I am at a crossroad now. My oil level is halfway between min & max. I have clocked 9,000+ km since the last oil change. Should I:

1. Top-up engine oil now?
2. Top-up engine oil when it hit "min"?
3. Change engine oil now?
4. Change engine oil when it hit "min"?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

MSport,

I would never do no. 1 as you might run the risk of too much oil which is very bad. If you intend to only change oil at 25K intervals then d no. 2. If you like most of us change oil midway of 25K i.e. 12K then do no. 4. I also don't see any point of doing no.3 as you can still keep going safely without topping up.

Just my thoughts,
Dan

MSport;370648 said:
Friends, I am at a crossroad now. My oil level is halfway between min & max. I have clocked 9,000+ km since the last oil change. Should I:

MSport;370648 said:

I would do 3 esp. if the svc interval is more than 10k kms away before the next BSRI. The car is meant to take 6.5 ltrs of oil so best to have it within spec at all times. Also knowing that there are known issues of oil not flowing sufficiently to the engine head for our N52, best to keep the oil at the proper levels. I do (3) each time my oil indicator drops about 1/4 notch from max which is ~7-8k kms.

Mine is at 6k km since last oil change...and is it at 1/4 from min.. shall i wait until min to change the oil then? i would assume i will hit min at 7k km++

I would agree with E46F. But I would change or topup depending on km since last change. Like danc I would change midway of the 25k BSRI - that's also recommended by the SCs in Ingress Auto.

Running the engine at or near min is risky. I would never wait until it reaches min...why take such an expensive risk for such a (relatively) cheap maintenance action?

基本设计要求

北京网站设计公司 北京网站设计公司客户提出需求:客户通过电话、电子邮件或在线订单方式提出自己网站建设方面的“基本需求”。 涉及内容包括: 1、公司介绍2、栏目描述3、网站基本功能需求4、基本设计要求 北京网站设计公司提供“解决方案和报价”:回答客户的咨询,对客户的需求予以回复,提供实现方案和报价供客户参考和选择。 北京网站设计公司确定合作意向:双方以面谈、电话或电子邮件等方式,针对项目内容和具体需求进行协商。双方认可后,签署《网站建设意向书》。 北京网站设计公司提供网站制作所有素材:客户提供网站制作所有文字资料(电子稿)与图片素材

Well, my car's engine oil hit Min level again yesterday, and the OBC nicely told me to add 1L of oil (am around 29k km). Since my car is due for service next month anyway, I'm planning to just ask them to do the service together.

Traveler;394449 said:
Well, my car's engine oil hit Min level again yesterday, and the OBC nicely told me to add 1L of oil (am around 29k km). Since my car is due for service next month anyway, I'm planning to just ask them to do the service together.

Just curious, how many km's traveled since the last oil service? Trying to gauge whats "typical" for our N52 oil burn rate. So far JPB and mine is about the same , about a quart each 7-9k kms.

Im in an E60 but with the same engine so i travel approx 5000-7000kms from ABSOLUTELY FULL before it gets yellow.

Another 1500kms before it gets red. :)

But the thing is i recently did my first oil change outside of Sapura/AB because i was due for an oil change in 2000kms and the engine oil was yellow for almost 1000kms already so red was around the corner and being slightly before CNY, AB/Sapura would accept no cars as they were fully booked.

So i went to Raymond Motor in Kota Damansara to do the oil change. Raymond had worked on my M3 before and did quite good work so i thought id give it a try.

I dont know what oil Raymond used and i havent had the time to ask yet but it hasnt gone down even 1 notch and it has been 3000 - 4000kms since the oil change.

I will find out though and i will post some feedback here.

I dont know if its my imagination but under high revs the engine sounds different? More trashy?

If it was me, i would do 3. In fact when i used to do the oil changes at AB/Sapura, i would buy 2 bottles of 1L oil from them at approx RM95.80 or somewhere close to that. Keep the 2 bottles in your boot and they should be sufficient to last you till the next oil change. :)

Still don't understand this oil burn thing. My units have never even gone down 1 notch between oil changes. :stupid: I tend to go by time, changing every 6 months, which is about 10k.

Top Bottom