Topping up engine oil on 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Schwepps;394561 said:
Still don't understand this oil burn thing. My units have never even gone down 1 notch between oil changes. :stupid: I tend to go by time, changing every 6 months, which is about 10k.

It could be dependent on the daily commute pattern. From your average speed posted, it does seem that your commute is more cruise and less stuck in jams. In 2 years I clocked 25k kms with average speed in the 28 km/h range. Again its just speculation. But JPB's and my avg speeds are similar.

That average speed I posted recently was a journey average to Kuantan and back, E46F. Although I would agree that I spend less time in jams than most people. My commute is against the traffic flow both ways, and I refuse meeting times which I know will need a drive in a jam.

I guess I have been lucky so far, touch wood, but luck shouldn't be a factor here.

Schwepps, I think since you avoid traffic jams like the plague while we all have stop and go traffic, perhaps that could be a reason why your N52 does not need to top-up. Your engine's heat is probably lower with the incoming air intake. Hence, the risk of engine oil burning is lower.

Hmm, it appears those of us with oil burning engines have the traffic jam thing in common. My usual commute is plagued with traffic jams, and I average 28-30km/h. I have clocked about 29k km in just under 2 years. Could this be the cause?

E46Fanatic;394608 said:
It could be dependent on the daily commute pattern. From your average speed posted, it does seem that your commute is more cruise and less stuck in jams. In 2 years I clocked 25k kms with average speed in the 28 km/h range. Again its just speculation. But JPB's and my avg speeds are similar.

I think you guys may have hit on something. I checked my OBC this morning, and after 16K, my long-term av speed is 39.8kmh and av FC is 11.9l/100km. Now 6k after the last oil change, my oil level is still at Max.

How? Use highways whenever possible, agree to appointments only in the late morning and early afternoon, and...choose a job or home where your daily commute is contra the rush hour traffic. :driver:

I'd be curious to find out how DY's new engine is doing. His average speed is also low with high FC as a result. Zero oil burn with new engine or typical quart shortages each ~8k kms?

strange!!!!!
my last oil top up..the indicator came on after a highway drive (KL-Kuantan-KL). furthermore i m also against traffic one. i work in SA. seldom go to KL. only traffic is going out of USJ everyday to SA..which i think its not as worst in KL

so since buying my car, i had did 1 srv at IA, and 2 DIY top up. now my car is 30k n service light already indicating.

so maybe its not the highways but the types of drivers we have....

Only 2 top-ups in 30k is not bad la, Rachel...

What's in your OBC for long-term average speed and FC?

Just to add to the discussion on commute type - I had a yellow fuel warning for the first time last week (after 2 yrs & 46K mileage). My commute is a mix of highway + jam, so average speed is around 45-50km. I am in IA at the moment getting the oil topped up (due for service as well), so will monitor on the loss of oil over next few weeks to see if it is a 1 time thing or reoccurs....

Other than oil change that is discussed overwhelmingly in this forum, I could not find and discussion here on BATTERY change.

May I know any e90 owner here had replace their car battery before ? Normally how long it can last ? The battery looked special, unlike the ordinary maintenance-free battery we can find in most workshops. Anyone know how much it costs?

Cobra Kai;395379 said:
Just to add to the discussion on commute type - I had a yellow fuel warning for the first time last week (after 2 yrs & 46K mileage). My commute is a mix of highway + jam, so average speed is around 45-50km. I am in IA at the moment getting the oil topped up (due for service as well), so will monitor on the loss of oil over next few weeks to see if it is a 1 time thing or reoccurs....

I just found out that you can get your dealer to do BRSI for you when the oil lifespan hits 1 year but mileage is not clocked. This is BMW's official service bulletin info. Can quote the SB no it at the dealer if they refuse :):

All Referenced Models: Engine oil should be changed at least once per year. The BMW Maintenance Program allows for this operation if a vehicle does not travel enough to have a BMW Engine Oil Service performed. This detail is listed in the respective Service/Warranty booklet. Please make customers aware of this important fact when you review an upcoming Service Appointment. Refer to SI B00 04 01.

Also some info on the coolant:

All referenced models- Reminder: The BMW engine coolant has a lifetime rating, except when the cooling system requires repairs. Drained coolant is not to be re-used. Top-up with new coolant. Refer to SI B17 01 06.

This is good info E46F! Finally there is an official statement from BMW regarding this, I'm sure the SA can't dispute giving a once-a-year engine oil change now that we have the above.

Btw, what's SB No?

Service Bulletin No. In this case SI B00 04 01. Dealers charge BMWM for BRSI work, so no reason for them to refuse. I don't think BMWM would refuse to change your 12 month old oil regardless of mileage.

I think this applies to all marques. In fact, i was once 'scolded' by an SC of C&C for not changing the oil for 10 months while under warranty service. :p

Wah! my E90 320i just celebrated 1st anniversary last Christmas. Till now still haven't done any BSRI service.. so how? Mileage 19k km. OBC ask me to do another 12k km.. :(

Time to go in for BSRI lah astro, otherwise you're saving money for BMWM only wat. :)

I believe you've DIY changed your oil and filter before right? So your oil is not really 14 months old. The rule of thumb is 12 months max for fully-synth, 6 months max for semi-synth.

Traveler;394686 said:
Hmm, it appears those of us with oil burning engines have the traffic jam thing in common. My usual commute is plagued with traffic jams, and I average 28-30km/h. I have clocked about 29k km in just under 2 years. Could this be the cause?

Oops. I read my odometer wrong.. I have around 26.5k km, not 29k km. I sent my car in for service (it was almost due anyway) at SA, and now it's all :top: :top: again.

Schwepps;396125 said:
Service Bulletin No. In this case SI B00 04 01. Dealers charge BMWM for BRSI work, so no reason for them to refuse. I don't think BMWM would refuse to change your 12 month old oil regardless of mileage.

I think this applies to all marques. In fact, i was once 'scolded' by an SC of C&C for not changing the oil for 10 months while under warranty service. :p

The problem is that the SC sets the oil service counter to expire the oil in 2 years instead of 1 as per the service bulletin. So when we bring our cars in for oil changes at 1 year mark, the OBC still shows that the oil can still "last" another year. Conflicting to what the SB states.. Dealers should set the service clock for oil for 1 year expiry instead..

Here's a pic of my clock. Still a good 1 year and 8 months till "expiry"

BMWsvc.jpg

Exactly! I just had my BRSI oil change in Nov 2008. So even if I want to try my luck with the 1year free oil change, it'll only be in Nov 2009 earliest.

AB, try your luck by quoting the SB No. since yours has already passed its 1st birthday. Let us know yeah ;)

Top Bottom