Topping up engine oil on 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
t2ribena;351511 said:
OK lets examine a few points...on how engine oil dissapear either by vaporization or burning...

1. the engine is a closed vessel where it has an inlet for fuel and another for air. the exhaust header port is the only exit points

P

An engine is not a closed vessel. It's a reciprocating air pump.

t2ribena;351511 said:
2. in case as you said that the oil got vaporized due to on-demand oil pump spraying on very hot components, then the vapours needs an escape route to exit the engine to caused any drop in oil levels...if the oil vapours remains in the engine then when it cools down it will be converted into liquid again thus no oil is lost theoretically.......

I disagree with the above. You forgot there's a breather and in some car, there's a filter stop contaminants from getting into the engine, some engine will feed the "breath" back into the intake or air filter box while some are breathing into an oil catch reservoir, do you'll have one?

Another possibility is your oil now runs thicker when the lighter substance was boiled and escaped, which might not leaves residue on you tail pipe..

first time encounter to top up 1L in my car. mileage about 18k
therefore should I top up or wait for service internal??

2. the sign lighted at the dashboard. then i went to idrive, it did say OK Engine Oil (main menu). double click on that, says need top up. how come info indifference???

racheltoh;356300 said:
first time encounter to top up 1L in my car. mileage about 18k
therefore should I top up or wait for service internal??

2. the sign lighted at the dashboard. then i went to idrive, it did say OK Engine Oil (main menu). double click on that, says need top up. how come info indifference???

if topping up, i think its advisable to do it asap to avoid insufficient oil lubrication for ur internal engine parts. do the regular service as when indicated. topping up can be done urself. just buy a 4 liter pack and put in ur garage la. :)

:) It's very easy la Rachel. Just locate the oil filler cap with the help of your manual and pour in 1 litre of oil. But a few things to note:
1. Whenever a warning light comes up, you should attend to it immediately, don't wait, not even until wed.
2. You must use the same brand and grade of oil that's in your engine now. Look for a sticker on your windscreen or in your service log book.
3. Don't overfill or that will cause other problems.
4. If in doubt, go to a BMW dealer and have it done for you. That's an expensive car you're driving. Anyway same cost as lunch coz we have expensive tastes you know... ;)

Rachel, pouring the oil is very easy but it is quite difficult to find the exact grade of oil with at least BMW LL01 approved in Malaysia. Mobil Petrol station is selling if you are convenient, Look for the Fully Syntetic one with BMW LL01 approved letters. If you buy the 1 liter pack, then pouring the 1 liter pack will bring the oil level to the maximum level. Alternatively, you can purchase the 'BMW' oil from the dealer and ask their help to pour it for you ;)

Tips: If your next service is due soon, you may just pour in 300ml for example, save the other 700ml for your next use ;).

does anyone know what they put into our cars when from factory? is it filled in germany or malaysia?

cheers

the car is playing hide n seek with me. cos the black oil indicator..sometimes appear, sometimes dont.
so do i really need to refill?

the black oil use is petronas.

Syntium 3000? Like mine then and easy to get lah! Just get a pack and pour in less than a litre, then see what the indicator says. Then you're safe until the next service.

wc9922;335807 said:
N52 earlier gen will still be using the common N52B25 or N25B30 for engine designation.
Simply check your registration card. Visually your engine valve cover is grey in color like this:

N52B25.jpg

New N52KP grade engines have forgone the common engine designation because it can have variants which are the same displacemnet but different power outputs. Designation for engine looks like this code:

N52B25O1 , second last digit will vary for power outout. O - high output version, M - medium, U - lower class outout and K - lowest class output. The last digit is for technical upgrade or revisions goes from 1, 2,3 .....
Visually, it will have the black engine valve cover:

n52kp.jpg

Just checked my car and the engine designation is N52B25A. Anyone can tell me what the "A" at the back stands for? It's got the black plastic cover and comes with the MVS80 Engine Management System, which is a real bummer when I tried to retune it with Obermaier a while ago cos it just can't be done...

astroboy;356807 said:

Astro, you don't need to top up, coz your ride is due for an oil change now. Don't even waste even 1 ltr of fresh oil. Put in TORCO and you'll feel the difference.

If I change now then I have to skip many rounds of Friday HH due to budget constraint.. :( decision..decision..

The 4L of Q8 (5W-40) I poured in 8k km ago now "shrink" to 3L, if I pour in a fresh 1L of Torco, then the dirty 8k km mileage oil in my sump will "dilute" and becoming... 30.333% cleaner, then I can run another few thousand km loo... if the assumption is true, every 4 top ups equal to a full 4L of fresh oil poured in, then no need to drain loo.. good for the environment.. :p :D

.... or if I replace the oil now, I actually save 1L because I'm 1L short now and need to top up anyway... hmmnnnnn.... what a bargain! decision... decision...

Juan Powerblow;356806 said:
Just checked my car and the engine designation is N52B25A. Anyone can tell me what the "A" at the back stands for?

Bro, where did you see your engine designation? I've been trying to find mine and can't find it.

Schwepps;356813 said:
Bro, where did you see your engine designation? I've been trying to find mine and can't find it.

It's at the driver's side door pillar where your tyre pressure specs are also stated.

I also checked the online resource which said my engine is a N52N produced in Feb 2007.

Halo astro, by filling up 1ltr every few thousand KM or 4 top ups doesn't makes your ride having fresh oil in there la...LOL....

You put in 4ltrs of Q8 during your last oil change, which is 0.5ltr short of the recommended volume. As such, you are now running 1.5ltr shortage. In state of topping up, why not replace with 4.5ltrs of fresh TORCO?
I am sure the price of TORCO will not deprived you from any of the Friday HH. Your beer or whiskey is more expensive than the TORCO.

Top Bottom