Topping up engine oil on 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Schwepps;432063 said:
You miss your better half when she goes to the spa or saloon for a few hours too, right astro? :rolleyes:

You're lucky you'll get your brake consumables changed under BSRI then. Mine is strange: 80k more for front and 49k more for rear. Coupled with only 1mm wear on my front tyres, I don't understand it. My odo is 24k already and I use the brakes like everyone else, although maybe slightly less. This is not a 911 which wears the rear brakes and tyres more due to the rear-mounted engine. Do you guys think I have a brakewear sensor fault? :confused:

Yeah definitely something wrong with your front brake wear indicator. No way the rears will outlast the fronts in the first place :)

In your iDrive, it's in Service Info my dear. For us, it's distance to brake pad checking. Dunno about non-iDrive models, but astro's are 'rotors', not pads or discs. Maybe he has turbine brakes with rotors? :D

Alo! That indicator on my OBC izzit pad or brake disc rotor? I am too behind time la. I thought pad change indicator is the sensor embedded into the pad while the one on OBC is our distance to rotor change estimates?

All brake disc rotors have a minimal operating thickness, some are written on the disc while some are in the service guide. Again, BMW has taken this into its OBC calculation which monitors the acceleration and deceleration pattern of the car and count down the mileage accordingly to trigger the rotor change indicator. If not mistaken they start from 45k/55k km for front/rear.

For older generation BMW like the E36, the rules of thumb is replace rotor after 2 sets of pad or lining. Well, I stretch to 3 sets.. :p Unlike Japanese car, the continentals are treating the brake rotor wear as part of routine wear&tear and it is actually a functions of pad wear to improve stopping force, and safer brake.

80k km more to wear out the front rotor is definitely not right! and having a rear brake that's running a shorter life is also not right unless you handbrake corner a lot.. :eek:

Anyway, I have just collected my sweetie from IA.. :love:

Jes teasing bro :D Probably pad indicators la - check your manual.

I think my sensor is out too. It probably started at 80k and hasn't moved. Or maybe my front brakes are not working at all and I've been using my rears only? :eek:

Schwepps;432084 said:
I think my sensor is out too. It probably started at 80k and hasn't moved. Or maybe my front brakes are not working at all and I've been using my rears only? :eek:

That's most weird! Mine was overly sensitive with the service message keeps popping up even after Sapura kept resetting the sensor counter. Anyway, I got fed up with Sapura and brought to Ingress, who fixed my brake sensors already and now they seem more normal. All under BSRI.:top:

The more electronic bells and whistles there are, the more things there are to go wrong :) Small matter, as the brake pads can be visually checked...like in every other car! I'm not anal about my ride having to be perfect.

Just out of curiousity MSport, how many km is on your odo, and how many km to go for front and rear pads for you now?

Schwepps;432084 said:
Jes teasing bro :D Probably pad indicators la - check your manual.

Sensors I believe are binary, and is only activated when it is time to change your brakes. Indicator in your idrive is based on an estimate of what is left...not entirely accurate but 80k km is WAYYYY off

Sensors can also be analog and record actual variables. But I would agree that the brake pad indicator is probably just a countdown, although it may be calibrated by ECU recording of one's driving style. In my case, 80k would probably have been the start and the software counter is hung. Visual check at the next service and reset lor...

Schwepps;432284 said:
Sensors can also be analog and record actual variables. But I would agree that the brake pad indicator is probably just a countdown, although it may be calibrated by ECU recording of one's driving style. In my case, 80k would probably have been the start and the software counter is hung. Visual check at the next service and reset lor...

Agree...just to clarify, was referring to sensors used in our brakes and not sensors in general

No laaaaaaa T2r! I keep saying brake PAD indicators. The iDrive service menu clearly says "Front Brake Pads" and "Rear Brake Pads". Someone else keeps saying "rotor this, rotor that", and also "if you can't convince them, confuse them".

schwepps;432293 said:
no laaaaaaa t2r! I keep saying brake pad indicators. The idrive service menu clearly says "front brake pads" and "rear brake pads". Someone else keeps saying "rotor this, rotor that", and also "if you can't convince them, confuse them".

:65: :65: :65:

What's wrong with the E46 and below pad wear glass-capsule-break-grounding indicator le? Obsolete in E90 lio la?! :eek: JDM still using metal-blade-scratch-rotor audible note warning for the brake pad wear sensor le.. :p

So E90 use OBC estimate lio la? :stupid: Like that pretty soon we will have OBC measure tyre wear indicator lio.. :D :D easy wat.. just measure revolution change/km.. or OBC predicting stock market direction lio... cool!:cool:

BTW champions, I found out that I'm not the only one with a shorter period left on my rear brake pads than fronts. Rachel Toh, of expensive imported Hoegaarden white beer from Flanders Belgium fame, has 13k on the rears and 40k on the fronts. :) This is like Porsche 911 tyre and brake wear patterns. :eek:

I wonder what the rest of you have showing for brake pad checking in your iDrive or OBC... :rolleyes:

Schwepps, my odo is showing 38,420km. From the OBC, front 42k km and rear 36k km.

Schwepps;432460 said:
... Rachel Toh, of expensive imported Hoegaarden white beer from Flanders Belgium fame, has 13k on the rears and 40k on the fronts. :) This is like Porsche 911 tyre and brake wear patterns...

Wah! Why got Hoegaarden wan?

This was taken 2 weeks back at Dutamas Solaris.. Hoegaarden draft with Veronica in the photo.. :love::top:

Hoegaarden.jpg

Top Bottom