Topping up engine oil on 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I drove around for about 100km after the warning message came up....

Check your warning message picture on your idrive - orange or red colour? if orange, you can still drive around a bit without top-up.

oh really? thanx for the heads up. then might as well just wait until monday for the engine oil change. sorry if i seem a bit paranoid, my first udm. hahaha.

azfarhisham;518527 said:
oh really? thanx for the heads up. then might as well just wait until monday for the engine oil change. sorry if i seem a bit paranoid, my first udm. hahaha.

Bro, I went through the same.........my top up engine oil warning signal only popped up after the 10k engine oil change ( at 17k ). As i begin to learn more about these UDMs, I will change oil every 10k. Just a personal opinion.

This engine oil level sensor I think not very reliable because I keep topping up after seeing quarter short, after about a liter poured in, lever still show quarter short.. :eek:

So now I don't care, as long as no "+1L" pop up, just treat it as "Enough".

Even my rear brake use counter still show 17,000km to go but visual seen less than 4mm left.. :eek:

Lesson learned is not all electronic counters can trust! Common sense still prevail!

By the way, I saw the X1 2.0d engine has dipstick!! :eek: Reverse technology?! Take a step back in tech advancement?!

hye guys,

i am having the same probs in topping up engine oil.im using petronas fully synthetic(3000).If i left the car engine(320 i) running without accelerate ,heavy white smoke present...any comment?

im looking for original spring,doesnt matter new or second hand for my 320I.....

year:2005
model :320 i
4 cylinder

pls help me out...anyone?

Longines;518710 said:
hye guys,

i am having the same probs in topping up engine oil.im using petronas fully synthetic(3000).If i left the car engine(320 i) running without accelerate ,heavy white smoke present...any comment?

im looking for original spring,doesnt matter new or second hand for my 320I.....

year:2005
model :320 i
4 cylinder

pls help me out...anyone?

If i'm not mistaken, white smoke means leaking piston rings?

Hi Longines.. this is your 2nd posting.. :D :D I guess still not too late to welcome u to the forum, and of course, to the club as Official Member! :top: Will get in touch with u once the merchandise are ready, hopefully by the coming Official May TT.. :wink:

White smoke eh?! How fast are u losing your engine oil? If the white smoke is due to combusted engine oil, your oil level shall drop a lot faster than the usual 1L/8k km for the 6-cyl N52 engine. Our 4 potter engine oil consumption is not that serious, perhaps 1L/10k km..

Notice wet tail pipe?

astroboy;518701 said:
This engine oil level sensor I think not very reliable because I keep topping up after seeing quarter short, after about a liter poured in, lever still show quarter short.. :eek:

That's supposed to be monitored directly by sensor! So how accurate do you think the RFI is, in terms of telling you when your tyres need topping up? :)

Schwepps;518735 said:
That's supposed to be monitored directly by sensor! So how accurate do you think the RFI is, in terms of telling you when your tyres need topping up? :)

My Johnson Suisse WC water level sensor can work a lot more accurate than the E90 engine oil level sensor.. :p

Hehe.. RFI? No problem now.. I on full visual inspection every time before I enter the car. I will notice the slightess deflation visually after practicing the skill for decades.. even my bum sensor also can pretty accurately tell if its under inflate.

RFT tyre very difficult to do visual because deflation have minimal effect on side wall curve, even the RFI can't give accurate information because the rolling circumference remain despite deflation. But non RFT, the RFI would work a lot better as the tyre will suffer a greater degree of change in rolling circumference.. :top:

astroboy;518701 said:

So now I don't care, as long as no "+1L" pop up, just treat it as "Enough".

Even my rear brake use counter still show 17,000km to go but visual seen less than 4mm left.. :eek:

Lesson learned is not all electronic counters can trust! Common sense still prevail!

By the way, I saw the X1 2.0d engine has dipstick!! :eek: Reverse technology?! Take a step back in tech advancement?!

BMW learned from its mistakes. Got hope.

MSport;333013 said:
Guys,

For those with E90 325i, do you experience that your engine oil level drops to the minimum level? This happens after doing about 9,500+ to 10,500 kms. Then, you will need to top-up 1 liter.

From what SA service man said, this is normal for the 325i but does not happen on the 320i.

Anyone else experienced this?
is normal ....my E90 320i having the same problem

dickytan20000;520263 said:
is normal ....my E90 320i having the same problem

its not normal...my pre lci 325 never had this problem...clocking 23k km now

My engine top-up light came on. Was hoping it wouldn't come on after it dropped 2 notches about 1 month ago. Short of 4K km to the next 10K km service.

Top-up cost me RM65 @ QA, PJ. I must admit it was very fast - 20 mins after I handed my key over. :top:

astroboy;518701 said:

This should interest you AB, and all those who've had 'oil loss' problems. I went in for an own cost oil change yesterday, and everything was hunky-dory. Today, the dreaded 'Oil at minimum level, top up 1 litre' message popped up. Took it in again and they said my oil level sensor is faulty, and that it's a 'common' problem. They changed the sensor and it's now back to full 5 bar level.

So if you've been heeding the 'quarter short' or 'top up 1 litre' instruction, you may have mistakenly overfilled your engine with oil. :eek: Take it in to check your sensor first before you top-up!

Clocking 20k now and never had top up issue on mine..done oil change on 2k , 5k and 12.5k so next will be 25k (Idrive still shows full)

Well, mine is at 36k and I've done 5 oil changes. My oil level has never shown anything less than full 5 bars and I've never had to top up. Suddenly after an oil change, it goes from full to below min. I was told that the oil sensor does go kaput and they changed it.

The point is:
- I'm now not sure whether my oil was really at full all along. My sensor may have been bunk from the start.
- When it shows less than full or at min, it isn't necessarily true. Luckily I didn't top up or I would have overfilled.

How nice... :D

Any1 going to Stuggard please check for me what's the supply and install price to retro fit the dipstick kit for E46 N46B20 into E90 N46B20.. I last check the part price is no more than RM150.

Top Bottom