Thinking of changing to non RFTs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
BMW = Luxury car that attract attention for most ordinary people, sometimes the wrong kind of attention that you'll need. RFTs give u the extra 'insurance' you'll need in an unlikely event of where you have attracted the wrong kind of attention. Let me give u a real account and you'll really think twice before considering cutting your budget on tyres and getting non-RFTs.

The following event happened between 12:00pm and 1:00pm:
=====================================
1. Drove from house car porch to HSBC, parked at HSBC customer reserved parking lot and went into HSBC to perform some bank transaction.
2. Came out from HSBC, travelling towards city centre.
3. Noticed a Proton Wira tail-gating, enters the highway and the wira continue to follow.
4. Tyre pressure warning signal flashed up.
5. Proton Wira increase speed & showing signs of attempting to crash into my back, starts engaging on highspeed highway car chase.
6. Managed to zig-zag around thru 3-4 toll-gates and lost the wira (or the wira driver finally realised that BMW actually run on RFTs and give up)
(when I entered the highway, there was also strange loud noise coming from my rear right area, I was gonna stop by the emergency land on the highway to do a quick inspection had the wira not trying to do some kamikaze stunt on me. After I'd parked at The Curve later to check, the steel rod was actually still hanging on the mud guard and the loud strange noise was due to the steel rod hitting the ground surface of the road.)

The following event happened between 1:00pm and 2:00pm:
=====================================
7. Stop by at a shopping mall car park next to check the problem, found a L-shaped steel rod been punched into the rear right mud-guard and tyre (L-shape steel rod measure approx 4cm x 10cm).
8. Drove to IA straight to check if any further damage was done.
9. IA technician jack up the car and found no further damage been done, IA technician disabled warning signal.
10.Patched the RFT at Lim Tayar, mud guard hole was not patchable.

After this incident, I'm 100% convinced that the extra few k are really worth spending for a safer 18-24 months ride. There are situations where you just don't have the time or the right environment for you to change your tyre or inject it with your tyre kit, and you don't want to regret your decision on your tyre spending when you are in those unlucky situation.

I suspected my tyre failure last June was also sabotage. Also in the right rear tyre, the hole was a 2cm long gash from the inside. No nail or screw could have done that. Driving home from a wedding with the entire family, we would have been sitting ducks had we had to stop. But on RFTs, I just drove on and got home (no one on my tail) without the family even knowing we had a complete flat. After that incident, I'll stick to RFTs.

There was another incident where I had parked at SS2 area to take away some food and the tyre pressure warning signal flashed up few hours later when I was gonna leave my friend's house (I'd parked inside his house car porch straight from SS2 food take away session). Not sure if it was just a normal incident or sabotaged incident, but the culprit was a 4-5 cm long heavy duty shinning new nail, not the kind of nail that you would expect to be scattered around SS2 area.... but since I wasn't paying attention to any tail-gater and I didn't lose tyre pressure immediately, so I had just assumed that it was just my own misfortune...

Schwepps;496334 said:
I suspected my tyre failure last June was also sabotage. Also in the right rear tyre, the hole was a 2cm long gash from the inside. No nail or screw could have done that. Driving home from a wedding with the entire family, we would have been sitting ducks had we had to stop. But on RFTs, I just drove on and got home (no one on my tail) without the family even knowing we had a complete flat. After that incident, I'll stick to RFTs.

Bro.....I support that............they may be pricy but can be very helpful and safe at tricky times.

Down grade to 16" wheels and go sapu the mini RFT tyres.. most just discard.. :listen:

Good info..thanx for sharing.Not buying the doomsday scenario tho:rolleyes:

Just sad that the e90's boot doesn't accomodate a spacesaver.Just not buying into the RFT thingy.

Just anal about unsprung weight I guess..:wink:

Nor I.

In my case, it's a little higher from that spot, more like L4/L5. If I continue, I'll be walking on crutches or even a wheel chair.

Just found out the new BMW F10 5 series doesn't come with RFTs stock standard. It's only standard at 18's size wheels for the 550i. The rest of the lineup doesn't come with it but its available as an option.

I wonder what was the rationale behind this?

E46Fanatic;496644 said:
Just found out the new BMW F10 5 series doesn't come with RFTs stock standard. It's only standard at 18's size wheels for the 550i. The rest of the lineup doesn't come with it but its available as an option.

I wonder what was the rationale behind this?

Perhaps they've come to their senses?? Not surprising really..

supergripen;496780 said:
Perhaps they've come to their senses?? Not surprising really..

I suspect its due to BMW's new Efficient Dynamics (ED) direction. Only the petrol guzzlers with more power tailored for the enthusiasts come std with bigger wheels and RFTs. The run of the mill variants come with more fuel efficient lighter non RFTs.

Surely they would have to provide a full or space-saver spare though, and that would add to the weight?

E46Fanatic;496782 said:
I suspect its due to BMW's new Efficient Dynamics (ED) direction. Only the petrol guzzlers with more power tailored for the enthusiasts come std with bigger wheels and RFTs. The run of the mill variants come with more fuel efficient lighter non RFTs.

More to a cost cutting measure to me.. The new Honda Stream no spare tyres but provides the liquid patch kit with a DC pump. The Passat CC even pre-fill their tyres with the liquid patch and claim they are auto heal tyres. :D :D

5th Gear did a test and found no difference in fuel economy between normal tires with spare & jack and RFTs with spare & jacks removed.

Considering the higher initial cost and shorter life, it ended up being significantly more expensive to run RFTs.

I think the cost of poor ride comfort is just too much to bear.

So by not introducing RFT in F10, does that mark the end for RFT era?! :eek:

Schwepps;496793 said:
Surely they would have to provide a full or space-saver spare though, and that would add to the weight?

It wouldn't add to the unsprung weight ;)

saat;496803 said:
5th Gear did a test and found no difference in fuel economy between normal tires with spare & jack and RFTs with spare & jacks removed.

Considering the higher initial cost and shorter life, it ended up being significantly more expensive to run RFTs.

I think the cost of poor ride comfort is just too much to bear.

I think the 3rd gen RFTs (by Bridgestone) has qualities similar to non-RFTs. Lighter, cheaper and softer sidewalls for comfort. However, 1st and 2nd gen RFTs are about 10-20% heavier than normal tyres which will impact the performance and FC of the car. My guess is 5th gear were reviewing against the new Bridgestone RFTs?

Schwepps;496826 said:
It would add to the sprung weight, which impacts both FC and handling.

Like Saat said,it wouldn't increase fc when comparing the two but it would reduce unsprung weight(non-RFTs)which benefit the car's dynamics ;)

More weight on the tyres will improve the overall torque for vehicle due to the sprung weight but doesn't benefit pick up in speed and not benefiting the brake as well.. FC wise if pick up a lot, the RFT equipped car will suffer but if for cruising on low traffic hilly trunk roads, I am not surprise to see the RFT car achieve better FC. It all depends on situation..

The ratio of sprung to unsprung weight is a fine balance in car design. Generally, the higher the ratio, the more comfortable the ride, but there comes a point after which it results in poorer handling and braking. That point varies from from car to car as there are many variables involved. It's not always true in every car that lower unsprung weight is always better.

Top Bottom